Three new Blu-ray players from Panasonic: BD60, BD80 and BD70V

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
So the 35 and 55 are dumped!

Amazon VOD is cool, Ill be keeping my eye on the 60.

Three new Blu-ray players from Panasonic: BD60, BD80 and BD70V - Engadget HD

Panasonic didn't spend much time on its new trio of Blu-ray players, but we caught a quick snap just to give you a heads-up of what's coming down the pike. The BD60 will support YouTube / Amazon Video on Demand content, while the BD80 will include BD-Live (Profile 2.0) support and the BD70V will simply go down as the "ultimate multi-format player." Or something like that.

I'd rather have Netflix streaming than Amazon PPV, but I'm not willing to buy a Samsung or LG BD player to get it.

It's interesting if not ironic how the different BD manufacturers are attempting to compete with one another by adding some form of downloadable/streaming content capabilities (including the PS3). In some ways, it makes perfect sense since BD Live forces them to connect to the Internet. I wonder who will be the first to add Apple TV to their BD player? I hope this form of competition eventually forces all PPV/VOD providers to lower their rental fees.

I use Amazon for tv shows, but all this pro download crap is getting old. Why people get excited about subpar PQ (oh yeah, its free and easy :rolleyes:) once youve experience blu-ray.

Netflix interaction with a BR player makes me laugh. Im sure one day itll be better, but as a previous vudu owner, VOD just doesnt cut it for me.

I wonder if PQ is improved any over the 35 and 55.

Panasonic USA Pressroom

LAS VEGAS, NV (January 7, 2009) - Panasonic, a major developer and contributor to the success
BD60
of the Blu-ray format, today introduced the successors to last year’s award winning DMP-BD35 and DMP-BD55 players, as well as presenting the world’s first Blu-ray-VHS dual player. All three of the new Blu-ray players – DMP-BD60, DMP-BD80, DMP-BD70V – combine high quality images with enhanced networking functions, including VIERA Cast’s improved internet functionality that provides access to Amazon VOD’s huge selection of titles. Continuing its commitment to producing products that stress ease of use, the 2009 line of Blu-ray Disc
players continue to incorporate VIERA Link, allowing the consumer to operate their audio/video components, via HDMI, with one remote. And, in keeping with Panasonic’s pledge to reduce the planet’s carbon footprint, the new Blu-ray players have been designed to reduce power consumption.

BD70
Each of the three models employs the PHL Reference Chroma Processor Plus. Developed in collaboration with Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory, this high image processing technology reproduces clear, vivid colors that are faithful to the original film. Recognizing that audio is important to the overall entertainment experience, Panasonic’s three 2009 Blu-ray Disc players feature a high definition audio decoder (Dolby
® Digital Plus, Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio Essential) to take advantage of the exceptionally high quality 7.1 channel surround sound now integrated in Blu-ray Discs. The DMP-BD70V distinguishes itself as the world’s first dual deck VHS-Blu-ray player, providing the consumer with a video product that features multi-format playback allowing the user to play VHS, CD, DVD and 1080p high definition Blu-ray Discs. The BD70V allows for premium 1080p up-conversion for all video formats.

I doubt it, from the looks of it. The 70 is a gimmick-VHS/BD combo:rolleyes:
Since the 55k and 35k have PHL Reference Chroma Processor Plus also. I think all they are doing is adding the online video application.

Panasonic has a habit of abandoning a quality product right at the top of its popularity. Remember the RP 56, Rp62 and RP82 line. All had Faroudja DCDi processors buit in. There was feeding frenzy for the players then they just dropped them and started the XP line without the premium processor

What worries me, is will these become like el cheapo converters. In such a hurry to drop price, will they make PQ sacrifices? I hope they continue to offer a good model, but atleast you know Oppo is coming on board.

More of what I meant, was down the road. How quick are these guys gonna try to get to the $79 br player, and are they going to cut corners to get there? Lets face it, if ou want a quality upconvert, you need to spend the money on an onkyo, but most are happy with the $80 Sony.

I think the industry itself is only a year from seeing sub 100 dollar players from the Funai brands. 200 is the new price point for entry level like Vizio's up coming BD player.

"The DMP-BD70V distinguishes itself as the world’s first dual deck VHS-Blu-ray player, providing the consumer with a video product that features multi-format playback allowing the user to play VHS, CD, DVD"

Gimmick? Yes.

Sadly, one that will be of use to my in-laws. And I'll probably be getting it for them, for their anniversary in July, if it's out and reasonable by then.

They just moved into a retirement facility. And are pressing me to get up there ASAP to hook up their VHS deck to their HDTV (that I bought them). <sad head down shaking smilie> Next to the cable HD DVR (that I pay for) that they have no idea how to use. :no

They just moved into a retirement facility. And are pressing me to get up there ASAP to hook up their VHS deck to their HDTV (that I bought them). <sad head down shaking smilie> Next to the cable HD DVR (that I pay for) that they have no idea how to use. :no
I once had a "Why bother?" attitude in a similar situation. Then I remembered that someday I will inherit all those "mistakes" so I took action to minimize them, like by buying equipment with feature sets that made/make sense to me, etc...

Yes, that has been considered. Just had to do some math on their life expectancy, for deciding pension options. SSA gives her 10 years, more or less, as do the people offering her a pension buy out. She figures maybe 8 years, tops, due to health concerns. Actually, maybe 5.

So the stuff might not be of great interest to me, when the time comes. But, just in case....

But VHS! In the same box as Blu-ray! And that I might actually put out money for such a creature. I need a drink. And not this RC on my desk, either.

Yes, that has been considered. Just had to do some math on their life expectancy, for deciding pension options. SSA gives her 10 years, more or less, as do the people offering her a pension buy out. She figures maybe 8 years, tops, due to health concerns. Actually, maybe 5.

So the stuff might not be of great interest to me, when the time comes. But, just in case....

But VHS! In the same box as Blu-ray! And that I might actually put out money for such a creature. I need a drink. And not this RC on my desk, either.

Think 8 tracks, buy them what they want 8- 10 years from now this stuff will be 8-tracks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)