Three Plead Guilty in Satellite TV Hacking Case

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Circular or linear doesn't really matter when the signal is unencrypted. There is nothing wrong with watching in the clear content on circular.

correct. But considering that the company got sued for stealing having it set up to circular is kinda ironic

correct. But considering that the company got sued for stealing having it set up to circular is kinda ironic

Exactly. I noticed the tech guy made sure he had the box behind him on a KU linear satellite. I was like...awww...how cute.

They may have DN sub in the office, and must have clear circular sat signals to support FTA users. Will see, what happen to the company. Present obvious outcome is dramatic sales drop, prompting to pay for such "energizing" articles in press. But it seems to be across the board regardless of STB brand, and Viewsat owners don't rush to sell their STBs just yet, probably because of higher overall quality and adequacy for a typical true FTA watcher. :)

I thought ol Kwak was going to beat 'em. Hope he didn't put any of that dough in a Swiss account!

Don't know, but he had plenty of cash to play with,

"Kwak owned 100 percent of the shares of Viewtech in 2007, and 97 percent of its shares in 2008. Kwak received almost $14 million in income, interest, expenses, and wages from Viewtech in 2007, and some $1.7 million in 2008. In addition to these payments to Kwak, Viewtech directly paid more than a million dollars of Kwak's personal federal income tax for 2007 and 2008...."

VIEWTECH, INC. v. U.S. - Submitted June 7, 2011*

because Dish and Bell use Nagravision which was the easiest to hack (lots of companies use it). Directv uses their own scrambling technology (DSS)

Plus most free to air is DVB as is Dish/Bell

And also because dish network is a lot nicer then Directv.

Dish has been going after the companies that sell the receivers or equipment to hack.

Before black sunday (The sunday that all directv black boxes went down) direct would bust a site and sue everyone that ordered anything from that site. Thousands upon thousands of people were sued. Now did they all loose, and was that completly legal, probably not. But it did scare the Crap out of people.

I don't know if any of you would remember, but back in the 80's Charlie made lots and lots of his money from the VCII hack. Of course I personally think that GI let the hack out for the VCII, or at least helped pirates by doing nothing to stimulate sales. Perhaps the reason that Dish has been "nicer" that DirecTV was, is maybe Charlie has a small soft spot for the little pirates.

I think the DSS (Direct) standard is hacked still but since they went to the dual layer cards one cannot write to them easily. Not much has changed under the hood only access to program. I believe that there are people stealing everything DBS/Cable etc in one place or another but it is not publicized.

Charlie was involve in hacking with the VC-2 back in the day. VC-2 plus was also hacked but never released to the public.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.