Thursday, October 1st Opening Night of NHL

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wouldn't bet on it as Versus has a national exclusive for those games.

This can't be right. Yeah, they have exclusive national rights to Caps Bruins and Sharks Avs but why would that mean the NHL Network isn't able to broadcast CBC feeds of entirely different games?

Well,I still have Charter cable hooked up to watch Versus,although it will be in standard definition instead of HD. I also have NHL Game Center Live,so I can watch games on the internet. I'm not sure how that will work with Versus & blackout rules & such though. Hopefully,all my ducks are in a row.

Noticed the Leafs Habs game and Canucks Flames games are listed only under CBC and RDS, the other games are on Versus at 7 and 10...what does this mean for US DTV subs? Are you really going to tell me we won't get the feed? Will NHL Network carry the CBC feeds perhaps?

NHL Hockey Schedule for October 2009 - NHL.com - Schedule

I doubt that would be on Vs anyways. You should be able to get it off the NHL Centerice free preview that almost all providers give you for the first couple weeks of the season anyways.:)

I am confused on what CI games are shown with my subscription. Or more importantly and easier which games I won't get with Directv and CI?

Northeastern USA Directv Center Ice subscribers in the dark on opening nite?

Those of us in the states, specifically in the northeast, region doesn't seem to matter regardless.. appear to not be receiving the opening night games that are only aired on CBC. I just skipped ahead in my directv guide to october 1st, (the damn nhl center ice channels aren't even there yet) and the NHL network, which will normally air the CBC feeds on a Saturday nite, are not showing the games.

Can this really be happening? I feel sorry for those who couldn't afford to pick up their local cable provider to at least get Versus. In this scenario it appears that Directv subscribers will not be seeing ANY hockey at all opening nite. What a **** show.

Those of us in the states, specifically in the northeast, region doesn't seem to matter regardless.. appear to not be receiving the opening night games that are only aired on CBC. I just skipped ahead in my directv guide to october 1st, (the damn nhl center ice channels aren't even there yet) and the NHL network, which will normally air the CBC feeds on a Saturday nite, are not showing the games.

Can this really be happening? I feel sorry for those who couldn't afford to pick up their local cable provider to at least get Versus. In this scenario it appears that Directv subscribers will not be seeing ANY hockey at all opening nite. What a **** show.

Actually, I will watch the Wings on opening night just fine.
People seem to forget that VS only shows 1 game at a time, they only have 1 channel, unlike ESPN could do.
That said, then majority of the time your teams hockey game will be on your RSN.
Fox Sports has most of the games.
for example, the Wings may play on VS 3-4 times all year, the rest will be on FS Detroit.

Yes, I will see the Wings on FSN Detroit ..... until the playoffs VS is no needed in this area.

Actually, I will watch the Wings on opening night just fine.
People seem to forget that VS only shows 1 game at a time, they only have 1 channel, unlike ESPN could do.
That said, then majority of the time your teams hockey game will be on your RSN.
Fox Sports has most of the games.
for example, the Wings may play on VS 3-4 times all year, the rest will be on FS Detroit.

Yes, I will see the Wings on FSN Detroit ..... until the playoffs VS is no needed in this area.

You completely missed the point of this post.

I can't imagine D* not showing any Hockey on opening night. Obviously if the game is on VS then you won't get it. But I'm not sure any of us really follow what your asking. Is there a Certain team your talking about? A certain FSN ?

Based on the schedule and who carries the games you will see no NHL opening night. I don't see NHL CI going live until October 2.

I don't see what's so hard about the question. You have 4 games opening nite, 2 of which are being aired on Versus which is no longer a part of Directv. The other 2 are being aired on CBC exclusively and nothing states that is being aired on NHL NETWORK on DIRECTV. Directv CI subs never get CBC feeds on the 770 CI channels, we only ever get the CBC feeds on Saturday nites for HNIC on 215, NHL Network.

That said, Thurs nite, if you are a Directv sub - which many hockey fanatics are.. you will see ZERO hockey.

Thankfully, I went ahead and got my local cable installed so I can watch Versus at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should of never left ESPN.

You mean the sport that has passed the NBA in game ticket sales?

Is there another PayTV provider besides DirecTV that is not carrying the games?

Exactly .... except it wasn't the NHL that left them, but they DID have an offer from ESPN at the time.
They had a revenue sharing offer from ESPN (similar to their current contract with NBC) -- and Versus (then the Outdoor Life Network) offered to step up and pay a significant amount for carriage rights.

You mean the sport that has passed the NBA in game ticket sales?

Is there another PayTV provider besides DirecTV that is not carrying the games?

It is perplexing that they have comparable ticket sales, but aren't the Nielsen numbers in favor of the NBA by a lot?

Status
Please reply by conversation.