Tigers/Indians in a bit of a fistfight

Here you go fella's. Watch before MLB takes this down.

The cities of Cleveland and Detroit have historically had bad blood. With that said, I've never liked Sheffield. He got what he deserved. Him carrying the bat down with him to first base and staring down 24 year-old pitcher? What the hell was that?

Hey Sheff, let me give you a clue: The next time you decide to throw a tantrum, don't mess with our 24 yr-old, 6'4", 240lb stud pitcher. Fausto can hold his own.

[youtube]tAJ52lgXKc4[/youtube]

The cities of Cleveland and Detroit have historically had bad blood. With that said, I've never liked Sheffield. He got what he deserved. Him carrying the bat down with him to first base and staring down 24 year-old pitcher? What the hell was that?

Hey Sheff, let me give you a clue: The next time you decide to throw a tantrum, don't mess with our 24 yr-old, 6'4", 240lb stud pitcher. Fausto can hold his own.

Hmmmm.

Seems to me that it was your pitcher that hit Sheff in the back, how is that Sheffs fault ?

Jimbo

Hmmmm.

Seems to me that it was your pitcher that hit Sheff in the back, how is that Sheffs fault ?

Jimbo

But it was Sheff's starring down Fausto and holding his bat all the way down to first base that escalated the tensions. Getting hit is part of the game. It happens. Fausto got a few good hits in on Sheff's melon though. That should teach him. ;)

Hmmmm.

Had Sheff not gotten hit, it never would have happened.
Just what did Carmona say to Sheff while he was standing on 1B, must have been something that got him going.

Jimbo

Here's the Cleveland STO broadcast and video of the fight.

FIGHT!! Gary Sheffield Worked By Fausto Carmona, Tigers By Indians | WaitingForNextYear

Carmona barked at Sheff only AFTER he threw to first base. It was Sheff who was talking the whole time. He told Carmona to just throw to the plate and scolded him on throwing to first. Clearly, Carmona wasn't going to be intimidated by the old-timer.

The pitch in where Sheff got hit wasn't intentional. This was clearly instigated by Sheff. Either way, Sheff ended up with a bloody nose and a swollen eye in the fight.

"Say hello to my boomstick"!......

capt.107b1c5bf63d47dbbd03b916f640e2fd.tigers_indians_baseball_ohtd113.jpg

Angry Sheffield on Indians' Martinez: 'He needs to watch his mouth'
Sep. 20, 2008

CBSSports.com wire reports
9700-55342-1877-4

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]CLEVELAND -- Gary Sheffield was still angry a day after he was involved in a brawl with the Cleveland Indians. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The Detroit Tigers designated hitter was hit by a pitch from Fausto Carmona in the seventh inning Friday night, an incident that led to a bench-clearing brawl. Sheffield and Carmona were ejected, as was Indians catcher Victor Martinez and Tigers second baseman Placido Polanco. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Sheffield said Friday night he wouldn't forget the actions of several Indians players during the brawl. He was still unhappy before Saturday's game and directed most of his comments at Martinez, who was pointing at the Tigers veteran while being dragged away from the fight. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"He hasn't done anything in this game," Sheffield said. "He's had a couple of (good) years. When you have a catcher chirping like he's something special ... like he's done something. He hasn't done anything." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Martinez, who missed two months this season because of elbow surgery, took a .301 batting average into 2008. The switch-hitter has batted .300 or better three times, topped the 100 RBI mark twice and has made two All-Star teams. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]While Sheffield said Carmona has hit him three times this season, Friday night actually marked the second time it has happened. Sheffield says Martinez has "chirped" at him on each occasion. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"He needs to watch his mouth," Sheffield said. "He doesn't know who he's dealing with." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Sheffield was in the lineup Saturday while Martinez didn't start. Indians manager Eric Wedge said the day off for Martinez was planned before the series and he will catch Sunday. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Martinez, who said Friday that Sheffield should keep his mouth shut and play the game, was unavailable for comment Saturday. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The incident occurred after Miguel Cabrera hit a two-run homer off Carmona, giving Detroit a 4-2 lead. One out later, Carmona hit Sheffield in the left elbow. Sheffield walked slowly to first base, carrying his bat and glaring at Carmona. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"Every time I get hit, it's because someone hit a home run," Sheffield said. "Why am I the one getting hit?" [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Carmona threw to first on a pickoff attempt. Sheffield motioned, yelled, then charged the pitcher. Both players threw punches before Carmona got Sheffield in a headlock and landed more punches as both dugouts and bullpens emptied. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Sheffield was also upset with Indians second baseman Asdrubal Cabrera, who hit Sheffield on top of his head a couple of times while he was in Carmona's headlock. Sheffield said Friday night he watched the tape and saw what Cabrera did. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"He'll get taken care of, trust me," Sheffield said. "If you take a cheap shot at me, I'll never forget it. I won't forget it until the day I die." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Sheffield said Friday Indians reliever Rafael Perez was another player who was yelling at him. He referred to Perez as the "skinny guy from the bullpen." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Asked about upcoming suspensions, Wedge said, "That's always a possibility. We haven't heard anything. I'm sure we'll hear something at some point." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The Tigers are playing this series without manager Jim Leyland, who suspended for three games for his actions during consecutive road games against the Texas Rangers earlier in the week. [/FONT]
*************************************************************************************

Wow, this one isn't over by a long shot. It sounds like Victor Martinez will be in the lineup tomorrow, so this could really boil over.

Here's the Cleveland STO broadcast and video of the fight.

FIGHT!! Gary Sheffield Worked By Fausto Carmona, Tigers By Indians | WaitingForNextYear

Carmona barked at Sheff only AFTER he threw to first base. It was Sheff who was talking the whole time. He told Carmona to just throw to the plate and scolded him on throwing to first. Clearly, Carmona wasn't going to be intimidated by the old-timer.

The pitch in where Sheff got hit wasn't intentional. This was clearly instigated by Sheff. Either way, Sheff ended up with a bloody nose and a swollen eye in the fight.

"Say hello to my boomstick"!......

capt.107b1c5bf63d47dbbd03b916f640e2fd.tigers_indians_baseball_ohtd113.jpg

You just made me laugh out loud :D

Nope , this pitch was definatly not intentional, ya right, they guy was cruzing and had GREAT control ALL NIGHT... ya , it just slipped ....

I would hope that Carmona got in some good shots it was 5 on 1 .
Doesn't matter, the Indians will sign Sheff next year when they need a bat.
I think his contract is up in Detroit.

Jimbo

You just made me laugh out loud :D

Nope , this pitch was definatly not intentional, ya right, they guy was cruzing and had GREAT control ALL NIGHT... ya , it just slipped ....

I would hope that Carmona got in some good shots it was 5 on 1 .
Doesn't matter, the Indians will sign Sheff next year when they need a bat.
I think his contract is up in Detroit.

Jimbo

Trust me, the Indians don't want that clubhouse cancer and washed up loudmouth on this young team. Did Sheff manage to hit above .200 this year? BTW, I thought he still has another year on his contract? I think you're stuck with him unfortunately.

Angry Sheffield on Indians' Martinez: 'He needs to watch his mouth'
Sep. 20, 2008

CBSSports.com wire reports
9700-55342-1877-4

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]CLEVELAND -- Gary Sheffield was still angry a day after he was involved in a brawl with the Cleveland Indians. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The Detroit Tigers designated hitter was hit by a pitch from Fausto Carmona in the seventh inning Friday night, an incident that led to a bench-clearing brawl. Sheffield and Carmona were ejected, as was Indians catcher Victor Martinez and Tigers second baseman Placido Polanco. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Sheffield said Friday night he wouldn't forget the actions of several Indians players during the brawl. He was still unhappy before Saturday's game and directed most of his comments at Martinez, who was pointing at the Tigers veteran while being dragged away from the fight. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"He hasn't done anything in this game," Sheffield said. "He's had a couple of (good) years. When you have a catcher chirping like he's something special ... like he's done something. He hasn't done anything." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Martinez, who missed two months this season because of elbow surgery, took a .301 batting average into 2008. The switch-hitter has batted .300 or better three times, topped the 100 RBI mark twice and has made two All-Star teams. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]While Sheffield said Carmona has hit him three times this season, Friday night actually marked the second time it has happened. Sheffield says Martinez has "chirped" at him on each occasion. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"He needs to watch his mouth," Sheffield said. "He doesn't know who he's dealing with." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Sheffield was in the lineup Saturday while Martinez didn't start. Indians manager Eric Wedge said the day off for Martinez was planned before the series and he will catch Sunday. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Martinez, who said Friday that Sheffield should keep his mouth shut and play the game, was unavailable for comment Saturday. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The incident occurred after Miguel Cabrera hit a two-run homer off Carmona, giving Detroit a 4-2 lead. One out later, Carmona hit Sheffield in the left elbow. Sheffield walked slowly to first base, carrying his bat and glaring at Carmona. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"Every time I get hit, it's because someone hit a home run," Sheffield said. "Why am I the one getting hit?" [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Carmona threw to first on a pickoff attempt. Sheffield motioned, yelled, then charged the pitcher. Both players threw punches before Carmona got Sheffield in a headlock and landed more punches as both dugouts and bullpens emptied. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Sheffield was also upset with Indians second baseman Asdrubal Cabrera, who hit Sheffield on top of his head a couple of times while he was in Carmona's headlock. Sheffield said Friday night he watched the tape and saw what Cabrera did. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"He'll get taken care of, trust me," Sheffield said. "If you take a cheap shot at me, I'll never forget it. I won't forget it until the day I die." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Sheffield said Friday Indians reliever Rafael Perez was another player who was yelling at him. He referred to Perez as the "skinny guy from the bullpen." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Asked about upcoming suspensions, Wedge said, "That's always a possibility. We haven't heard anything. I'm sure we'll hear something at some point." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The Tigers are playing this series without manager Jim Leyland, who suspended for three games for his actions during consecutive road games against the Texas Rangers earlier in the week. [/FONT]
*************************************************************************************

Wow, this one isn't over by a long shot. It sounds like Victor Martinez will be in the lineup tomorrow, so this could really boil over.

Typical Sheffield, still talking and calling out players AFTER getting his ass kicked. What a POS. This further emphasizes why I can't stand the guy and have absolutely ZERO respect for this douche.

BTW, complaining about getting hit by a pitch is weak. It's part of the game. Acting like a dick isn't. If anything, the Indians should be the ones complaining, but you never hear anything from them. Why? The Indians set an AL record with 94 hit by pitches this year. Guys on the Tribe get drilled every game and you never hear them cry about it.

Typical Sheffield, still talking and calling out players AFTER getting his ass kicked. What a POS. This further emphasizes why I can't stand the guy and have absolutely ZERO respect for this douche.

BTW, complaining about getting hit by a pitch is weak. It's part of the game. Acting like a dick isn't. If anything, the Indians should be the ones complaining, but you never hear anything from them. Why? The Indians set an AL record with 94 hit by pitches this year. Guys on the Tribe get drilled every game and you never hear them cry about it.

I think the two quotes I highlighted proves what a punk Sheffield really is.

BTW, couldn't that be considered assault and battery? "He'll get taken care of, trust me."

I sure hope the Indians acquire Sheff since he has been waived by the Tigers. Now THAT would be funny!:rolleyes:

Sheff hasn't been "waived", he was put on "waivers". Meaning that if someone wants to pick up a .200 hitter and pay his enormous contract they can acquire him from the Tigers. There's a reason why no one wants the guy. The Tiger's are stuck with him until his contract expires.

And for the record, the Indians have more of a chance in acquiring Sabathia, Ben Sheets and K-Rod in the offseason than Sheff.

Sheff hasn't been "waived", he was put on "waivers". Meaning that if someone wants to pick up a .200 hitter and pay his enormous contract they can acquire him from the Tigers. There's a reason why no one wants the guy. The Tiger's are stuck with him until his contract expires.

And for the record, the Indians have more of a chance in acquiring Sabathia, Ben Sheets and K-Rod in the offseason than Sheff.

Maybe , because he's 40 or so.
He will NOT be with the Tigers next year.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)