Tigers vs Cardinals in world series

Jimbo

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
64,458
4,551
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
The Detroit Tiger have swept the Cardinals, for thier league leading 51st win of the year. With Pujols in the line up ..... and he was hot.

When is the last time you saw the Tigers in 1st place this late in the year ?

Now if they could shake the White Sox ....... They just keep on winning as well.

Jimbo
 

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
10,910
378
Central Michigan
Best start for the Tigers since 1984. And while I was only 5, I do remember how that season ended for the Tigs. For anyone who don't know, they won it all in 1984.
 

Jimbo

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
64,458
4,551
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
masterdeals said:
Best start for the Tigers since 1984. And while I was only 5, I do remember how that season ended for the Tigs. For anyone who don't know, they won it all in 1984.

Yes, I remember it well.
I was well say several years out of HS then.
Wasn't that the year Jack Morris threw a No Hitter against the White Sox. I think it was like in April or May.
My grandfather who got me started in the Tigers and all other Detroit sports, passed away a few days after Jack's No No.

Yes htis years Tigers were unable to do the 35-5 trick, but no one else has either.
I think I heard today that the '88 tigers won 50 games this quickly as well.

Jimbo
 

Jimbo

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
64,458
4,551
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Just when you thought it was safe to think the Tigers finally gained ground on the White Sox ...
Astros had a 9-1 lead going into the 8th inning, then got a 3 run HR in the 8th. and a grand slam in the 9th.
As of right now, they are still going in the 12th...

I have a strange feeling it will be over soon.

Jimbo
 

Purogamer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jul 19, 2005
2,365
0
Mentor, Ohio
Um, Pujols was hot? He just came off the DL and went 1-4...What are your definitions of "hot"? Mine are a little higher...

Is it really good for detroit? Do the people there really care?
 

Jimbo

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
64,458
4,551
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Purogamer said:
Um, Pujols was hot? He just came off the DL and went 1-4...What are your definitions of "hot"? Mine are a little higher...

Is it really good for detroit? Do the people there really care?

Yes I consider someone that goes 6-12 in a series to be hot

Friday
4-4
1 DBL, 1 HR , 2 Runs scored, RBI

Sat
1-4
1 RBI
1 WALK
1 Run Scored

Sunday
1-4

Yes 6-12 I'll take any time

btw, If he was available, every team would be lined up for him to come play for them.

He is the best player in baseball ... period

Jimbo
 

Purogamer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jul 19, 2005
2,365
0
Mentor, Ohio
I'd take Carl Crawford first, but Pujols second.

So on friday he was hot. Sat/Sun he was 2 for 8. Not so hot. He had one good day, that doesn't mean he's hot.
 

joedekock

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 12, 2005
1,136
0
West Michigan
I am a life long Tigers Fan, (I am only 25 years old), but I remember going to games at Tigers stadium as a Kid with my father in the early 90's when they were still a force to be reckoned with in the AL. That was back when Cecil Fielder was cranking homers out of the stadium!

I ususally go to two or three games a year since they have been in Comerica Park. What we do to avoid the chance of Rain delays or rained out games is get a few friends together on a Friday night and plan on going the Saturday after, and purchase out tickets at the Box Office. Well... that does not work this year. We had to purchase tickets to the August 5 game against Cleveland last week to get decent seats. All other good games on the weekend are sold out of box seats, and most upper deck seats for the year. (We live on the other side of Michigan, hence why we plan these games). It seems so weird that I have to do that, when for so many years now, I was able to just go the day of a game and get my tickets at the box office, and park close to the park.

Other than the one game against Cleveland, we will wait and go to a playoff game or two this year. Now that is weird to say about the Tigers!
 

Jimbo

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
64,458
4,551
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
I am a life long Tigers Fan, (I am only 25 years old),

Then you were only 4 when they last won a championship., and have only once experienced a WINNING season.

Enjoy this season while it's here.

Go Tigers

Jimbo
 

Purogamer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jul 19, 2005
2,365
0
Mentor, Ohio
Cecil Fielder ruled. Whatever happened to big fat guys at the plate like there used to be...Him, Kruk, Gwynn (my favorite as a kid), etc...
 

Proc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 14, 2005
469
0
Motown
I am 41 years old and a life-long Tigers fan. I've had a 20-game package since Comerica Park opened and remember many, many games at Tiger Stadium, including a few historic ones for sure. Considering the 119-loss season in '03, this start is amazing. We here in Motown (and Tigers fans everywhere) are still in disbelief, but are freakin' happy. This town needs the Tigers. The Red Wings and Pistons have been champs, but this town loves the Tigers and sad-sack Lions more than they do the Wings and Pistons...

GO TIGERS!!!
 

Jimbo

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
64,458
4,551
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Hey Proc,
Theres rumor of the Tigers making a deal soon for John Smoltz...
I think it would be great if they could get him, but they want Joe Z.

I would have to balk at that. Maybe someone else.
I'd love to see him in the rotation, but he IS 39 already.

Kinda reminds me of the Doyle Alexander deal,
I'm sure you remember that one, for a young , thats right John Smoltz.

What do you think ?

Jimbo
 

Proc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 14, 2005
469
0
Motown
Jimbos said:
Hey Proc,
Theres rumor of the Tigers making a deal soon for John Smoltz...
I think it would be great if they could get him, but they want Joe Z.

I would have to balk at that. Maybe someone else.
I'd love to see him in the rotation, but he IS 39 already.

Kinda reminds me of the Doyle Alexander deal,
I'm sure you remember that one, for a young , thats right John Smoltz.

What do you think ?

Jimbo

I remember the Doyle Alexander deal well. 1987. They shipped a very young Smoltz (now a legitimate Hall of Famer) for the old guy Doyle. It looked like a bargain at the time, when Alexander went 9-0 down the stretch and the Tigers caught the Blue Jays and won the AL East (before they went to 3 divisions).

I would not trade Joel Zumaya at all. He hit 104 mph on the radar gun the other night. Granted, it must've been a hot gun, but still, he hits 100 mph consistently. He is special.

I don't see Smoltz coming here. I think the Tigers will pursue a left-handed bat to plug in the middle of the lineup.

Granderson is becoming a star. I watched him play in Toledo last year (Go Mud Hens! I love that little stadium). He and Marcus Thames should've been in the lineup in Detroit last year. Thames led the International League in hitting and they Mud Hens won the title.

Going down to catch Roger Clemens and the Astros tonight.
 

Jimbo

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
64,458
4,551
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Proc said:
I remember the Doyle Alexander deal well. 1987. They shipped a very young Smoltz (now a legitimate Hall of Famer) for the old guy Doyle. It looked like a bargain at the time, when Alexander went 9-0 down the stretch and the Tigers caught the Blue Jays and won the AL East (before they went to 3 divisions).

I would not trade Joel Zumaya at all. He hit 104 mph on the radar gun the other night. Granted, it must've been a hot gun, but still, he hits 100 mph consistently. He is special.

I don't see Smoltz coming here. I think the Tigers will pursue a left-handed bat to plug in the middle of the lineup.

Granderson is becoming a star. I watched him play in Toledo last year (Go Mud Hens! I love that little stadium). He and Marcus Thames should've been in the lineup in Detroit last year. Thames led the International League in hitting and they Mud Hens won the title.

Going down to catch Roger Clemens and the Astros tonight.


I too would NOT trade Joe Z for anyone.
There was talk receintly about a trade for Abreau also, Leyland keeps trying to keep the trade info from the players, saying,only if they can improve the team.

Very doubtfull that they would trade Zoom, Zoom.
GM Dave would be shot........ He's been very reliable so far.

Jimbo
 

dantheman77

Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
1,960
21
st. louis mo
i hate the tigers since 1968!!! LOL you beat us with bob gibson!!! ( remember 17K ws record) then u sweep us in 2006! damn i hate u guys!! no, congrads u r doing gret!!! just sour grapes on my part. good luck till the ws~!!!! then, if we get there i hope all your players die!!! lol
 

Jimbo

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
64,458
4,551
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
dantheman77 said:
i hate the tigers since 1968!!! LOL you beat us with bob gibson!!! ( remember 17K ws record) then u sweep us in 2006! damn i hate u guys!! no, congrads u r doing gret!!! just sour grapes on my part. good luck till the ws~!!!! then, if we get there i hope all your players die!!! lol

Damn,
You really do hold a GRUDGE for a long time !!! :eek:

Jimbo
 
Top