Tigers vs Cardinals in world series

damn, i was taking it easy on you jimbo!!! i still hate u guys from the 1934 ws when you guys threw bottles, furit and sutuff after we rallied in 1934WS!!!n that we won!! . just joking with you. think u know that. again, congrads on your start!

dantheman77 said:
damn, i was taking it easy on you jimbo!!! i still hate u guys from the 1934 ws when you guys threw bottles, furit and sutuff after we rallied in 1934WS!!!n that we won!! . just joking with you. think u know that. again, congrads on your start!

Yes I realize your having fun, it's great to have fun with the Tigers....

IF they wern't winning, we would all be talking about Mini camp and training camp for the Lions by now.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Yes I realize your having fun, it's great to have fun with the Tigers....

IF they wern't winning, we would all be talking about Mini camp and training camp for the Lions by now.

Jimbo

Hey Jimbo,

I understand your a Tigers fan, and possibly a Lions fan... but I don't know if you realize some one took a dump all over your avatar. Yeah... its a big turd alright... all red and white, and says Ohio State on it! :D

GO GREEN!

Jimbos said:
I am a life long Tigers Fan, (I am only 25 years old),

Then you were only 4 when they last won a championship., and have only once experienced a WINNING season.

Enjoy this season while it's here.

Go Tigers

Jimbo

Yep... I believe that year was 1991. The same year I went to the game that Cecil Fielder cleared the left field roof with a home run.

I also remember the bum that lived under the overpass that went over 75 just as you came up to the exit to Tiger Stadium. He was there every year we went to a game! I also remember he was there the year Comerica opened, but in 2001 he was gone and we have not seen him since. After talking with a lot of people, he was widely recognized by Tiger fans as they went to the games.

joedekock said:
Hey Jimbo,

I understand your a Tigers fan, and possibly a Lions fan... but I don't know if you realize some one took a dump all over your avatar. Yeah... its a big turd alright... all red and white, and says Ohio State on it! :D

GO GREEN!

OH NO,
My avitar looks just fine :) :) :)

Although there are a lot of years that MSU makes me nervous.

I am a Detroit fan and a Steelers fan.
I follow the Red Wings first, then the Lions and Tigers, not really a BB fan much.

College is another story.
BUCKEYES all the time.

btw, you are NORTH ???? of that team up NORTH ???

How far is E. Lansing from Jackson, I often am at a cottage in Brooklyn, just south of Jackson.... We get channels from Lansing with the antenna up there.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
OH NO,
My avitar looks just fine :) :) :)

Although there are a lot of years that MSU makes me nervous.

I am a Detroit fan and a Steelers fan.
I follow the Red Wings first, then the Lions and Tigers, not really a BB fan much.

College is another story.
BUCKEYES all the time.

btw, you are NORTH ???? of that team up NORTH ???

How far is E. Lansing from Jackson, I often am at a cottage in Brooklyn, just south of Jackson.... We get channels from Lansing with the antenna up there.

Jimbo

E. Lansing is about 40 miles Directly North of Jackson. I actually live in West Michigan near Grand Rapids on the Lake Shore. I am about an hour and a quarter West of Lansing.

Memories of Tiger Stadium...

Some of my earliest and fondest memories were of the Detroit Tigers and trips to Tiger Stadium with my uncle Ray.

• I Still remember my brother coming home with a piece of center field turf after the Tigers clinched the division back in '68 - I was 5; the Bleacher-Creatchers managed to scale and/or knock-down a portion of the center field fences in their excitement.
  • I remember my great uncle Ray taking me to the games most weekends when the Tiges were in town for a series. My uncle Ray was a widower who had 5th row season tickets behind the 1st base dugout, drove a new Cadillac each and every year (retired Cadillac employee), and always took his favorite running partner (me!) over to Sander's for an Ice Cream soda. What more could a young boy want?
  • I have fond memories of catching a foul ball hit by Bill Freehan after it had dropped down from the roof...and right into my awaiting glove.
  • I won't soon forget watching Frank Howard hit a ball that cleared the roof in left field, and seeing Harmon Killebrew hit balls so hard you would swear they were being launched into outer space.
  • I can't tell you how many times I saw Aurelio Rodriguez and the reliable double play combo of "Steady Eddie" Brinkman and Dick McAuliffe pull defensive gems out of their back pocket. Although not great hitters, you couldn't find a single kid who didn't have their own impersonation of Brinkman and McAuliffe's unique batting style.
  • I recall how fans would cheer wildly when Willie stepped to the plate or whenever the Gator would be inserted to pinch hit in the late innings. Heck, I have found memories of Stanley, Freehan, Lolich, Kaline, Coleman, McClain and everyone of the Tiger greats.
  • I remember idolizing my favorite Tiger...Stormin' Normin Cash as I could almost reach out and pat him on the back as he stood next to first base.
  • And I can never forget my uncle Ray. Because of him, I developed a passion for the game and, as a side benefit, learned how to read prior to the age of 5 simply because I had a desire to read the Detroit News sports pages and follow our beloved Tigers.

Go Tigers!!!

A buddy of mine just purchased tickets for us to go to the August 5 game against Cleveland. We are in the first row right above the bull pen! I am going to try and get Zumaya to autograph my ball, or a pennant to display in my sports/home theatre room! :)

I'm coming into this thread a little late... but I remember the 1968 series as being one of the best ...ever!!!! I have an original seat from Tiger (aka... Briggs) Stadium and a ball signed by the entire '68 team. Seeing the Tigers beat Bob Gibson and the Cardinals was extra-special.

That was a great series too! Too bad the Tigers lost. In my sports collection I have a ticket and a souvenir bat from that WS.

dantheman77 said:

Tigers continue to roll

Tigers hang on to win again...

Chisox win as well
Tigers still lead by 2 1/2 games, a week and a half before the All Star break

Whens the last time we could say that ?

Too bad this wasn't last year, with the All Star game in Detroit.

On another subject,
How many of you think that the Tigers will get the shaft when it comes to All Star selections, (outside of fan voting).

Seeing the Tigers top challenge is currently coming from the Chi Sox and the Sox won last year and OZZIE gets to fill out the squad.

also, with both Chicago and Detroit ahead off the Yankees and Red Sox, so far I have heard that there will be possibly 5 yankee starters.... how sad ....
I vote for the GM's and players to vote for all star players, fans just vote for favorites, large cities get more votes..... like I said how sad

Jimbo

Last edited:
TheTimm said:
Pudge and Kenny Rogers are in. And Verlander still has a chance -- go here to vote for him:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp

And it seems you can vote over and over again. Polls close on the 6th at 6pm.

It's going to probably come down to Liriano or Verlander (I hope) Both deserve to be in...

Bobby Jenks over Joel Zumaya, If you look at the stats thier pretty close, but Zoom, Zoom is much more fun.

Potentially 7 White Sox and 1 maybe 2, only one taked by the Manager from the team with the # 1 in pitching ths year...

Gee, didn't M. Burle get pounded last night like 10 runs in 5.0 innings He's 9-5.

I suppose if Verlander was not a rookie he might have a better chance, but in that same thought , the kid has been soooo good. could be his only chance, you never know with pitchers .

How about Curt Schilling, he too is very deserving.

Wonderful Mr. Ozzie, who doesn't understand English seemed to know how to pick his starters . He basically said to reporters, I can take my own guy's so I will... regardless of others just as deserving.

How about adding another 5 players to the rosters.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Is there any way to select a real all star team without it being a controversy every year? First you've got fans who just vote for their hometeam players whether they deserve it or not, now you've got managers doing similar things, it's becoming silly.

Not to mention a good handful on both sides will pull the "i just played 3 days ago, I don't wanna go break a sweat tonight" crap. If you don't want to play in the all star game, you shouldn't be at the all star game. It's supposed to be fun anyways. The all-star game is the worst part of the baseball season for me...

Purogamer said:
Is there any way to select a real all star team without it being a controversy every year? First you've got fans who just vote for their hometeam players whether they deserve it or not, now you've got managers doing similar things, it's becoming silly.

Not to mention a good handful on both sides will pull the "i just played 3 days ago, I don't wanna go break a sweat tonight" crap. If you don't want to play in the all star game, you shouldn't be at the all star game. It's supposed to be fun anyways. The all-star game is the worst part of the baseball season for me...

Well they could do it the way the NFL does :
Let the players vote them in ONLY, no managers and no fans.
As a fan I really don't care if they take the vote away from the fans...
They say it's for the fans, but not really....

Let the players do the voting, that way it won't be so much of a popularity contesr that the fans have made it.

JImbo

I have no problem with the all-star voting the way it is. And no, there is no way to select an all-star team that will make everyone happy.

The lack of Tigers? So very expected.
Ozzie Guillen picking his players? That's his right. Hopefully next year Leyland can do the same.

Just like every year, I intend to watch the beginning of the all-star game. I will love every second of it, right up until I fall asleep. I will also over-eat while watching, but that's sort of off topic.

Oh, and go vote for Verlander again. Ain't ballot-stuffing fun? Wheeeee!

TheTimm said:
I have no problem with the all-star voting the way it is. And no, there is no way to select an all-star team that will make everyone happy.

The lack of Tigers? So very expected.
Ozzie Guillen picking his players? That's his right. Hopefully next year Leyland can do the same.

Just like every year, I intend to watch the beginning of the all-star game. I will love every second of it, right up until I fall asleep. I will also over-eat while watching, but that's sort of off topic.

Oh, and go vote for Verlander again. Ain't ballot-stuffing fun? Wheeeee!

Oh No,
I normally like to watch the last half of the game, that way you get to see the players that deseve to make the team.... all the players that were not voted in by popular vote.

Jimbo

Lol. I don't fall asleep due to boredom or anything -- I'd love to stay up to watch the last half of the game. But I get up at 4am, and I've always been a bit of an early riser, so after 10pm I'm pretty much on borrowed time.