POKER? Why????

FavreJL04

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
Maybe I am not in the loop or something here. How can ESPN, ESPN2, and all the RSNs on DirecTV consider poker a sport? I am not sure what the technical definition of a sport is, but I could never classify any card game as sport-worthy. Wouldn't it be better served on the Game Show Network? Just rambling here, but what does everyone else think about all this poker on the sports networks all the time?

Maybe I am not in the loop or something here. How can ESPN, ESPN2, and all the RSNs on DirecTV consider poker a sport? I am not sure what the technical definition of a sport is, but I could never classify any card game as sport-worthy. Wouldn't it be better served on the Game Show Network? Just rambling here, but what does everyone else think about all this poker on the sports networks all the time?

I agree with you, but ESPN can run this because it's called :

E- Entertainment &
S- Sports
P- Programming
N- Network

Jimbo

Same here..! Poker does NOTHING for me...my buddies in the neighborhood are constantly buggy me about a saturday night poker night....NOPE.

I don't mind watching it but as long as I have recorded it first so I can fast forward through most of it. As far as being a sport that's a tough one. I don't think it really is, but it is a game, just like darts or pocket billiards.

I see I am not alone here. They should rebrand ESPN as OSPN (Only Sports Programming Network) or something to that effect. Don't we have enough "Entertainment" channels already? There just aren't many niche TV channels anymore (EX: MTV in the 80s)

I see I am not alone here. They should rebrand ESPN as OSPN (Only Sports Programming Network) or something to that effect. Don't we have enough "Entertainment" channels already? There just aren't many niche TV channels anymore (EX: MTV in the 80s)

Problem being, is there is not enough good programming (sports wise) to go the whole week so they add Poker, it all started with the Tuesday night programming, when the Playmakers show started, since then Tuesday has had nothing good and it has expanded from there.

Jimbo

If Bridge is an a recognized sport by the Olympic committee why not show poker on ESPN. If would rather watch poker than some guy sitting on a boat trying to catch a fish.

If Bridge is an a recognized sport by the Olympic committee why not show poker on ESPN. If would rather watch poker than some guy sitting on a boat trying to catch a fish.
I just turn that stuff off, start looking fro other things to watch or come online !

Jimbo

It just seems weird that these networks would show it as much as they do. I mean, I am at work Sunday evening and when I go on break to catch up on the highlights of the late games I scan through ESPN, ESPN2, and FSN Detroit. Those are the only 3 networks on the regular cable system and there was Poker on ESPN and FSN Detroit with what looked like a college football game on ESPN2. Even with Poker as big as it is on TV isn't Sunday supposed to be all about the NFL and NASCAR???

Even with Poker as big as it is on TV isn't Sunday supposed to be all about the NFL and NASCAR???
Seeing that ESPN does not do any NFL or Nascar on Sundays, I can understand thier programming choices there, Why show one of thier best shows to go up against the NFL when they know that most will not be watching it.

Nascar doesn't start till next year for them.

Jimbo

Poke on ESPN, no... I have never seen that... maybe because I do not even turn to ESPN unless is baseball or a good match of NBA/NFL.

Seriously, stay away from and maybe they will take it off but maybe not...

Poke on ESPN, no... I have never seen that... maybe because I do not even turn to ESPN unless is baseball or a good match of NBA/NFL.

Seriously, stay away from and maybe they will take it off but maybe not...

I doubt that would happen. They have been showing at least the final table of the Main Event since 1988.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts