Why are ESPN's Ratings Down?

In the last month ESPN has hired Nate Silver, Keith Olbermann and now Jason Whitlock. WTF are they trying to be MSNBC with live sports?

I can not stand this channel except for MNF, college game day( and the wrap up show) and live college football games.

I can not stand this channel except for MNF, college game day( and the wrap up show) and live college football games.

I'm the same way ...

I don't think I've had it on all summer ... I've been using the MLB Network and FS Detroit in my case most of the summer.

That said, when Football gets here, ESPN will be useful again.

United States vs. Bosnia ESPN 2

not a Soccer fan much outside of World Cup but if you guys missed this game yesterday.........you missed a Soccer game that was pretty good. only seen the second half
these hires ??????? don't get either

In the last month ESPN has hired Nate Silver, Keith Olbermann and now Jason Whitlock. WTF are they trying to be MSNBC with live sports?

So, don't watch it. Those of us that enjoy a lot of the programming will continue to do so....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, don't watch it. Those of us that enjoy a lot of the programming will continue to do so....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I don't....

Not sure what your beef is, but I was expressing an opinion. I said "I" don't like their programming, just me I was speaking for, not everyone.

I try to watch sportscenter just to see some news and highlights. It's brutal to watch for me

I try to watch sportscenter just to see some news and highlights. It's brutal to watch for me

I usually find ESPNews to be better for that unless they are showing sportcenter. I don't even watch that anymore though. I think sportcenter is great when they are actually showing highlights and I like watching the top 10 and not top 10. I really can't stand watching sportcenter when they are constantly doing puff pieces or interviews with LeBron, Kobe, ARod, etc... or constantly talking about teams like the Lakers even when they are having terrible seasons instead of the actual playoff contenders.

I love watching College Gameday before the Saturday games and the wrap up shows on Saturday night when the live games are over. I love their college football, college basketball, and MNF live games too. I just haven't watched sportcenter since baseball season started. During the Summer I watch MLB Network for MLB Live and their other highlight shows. In the Fall I watch NFL Network for the same reasons in addition to MLB Network. ESPN owns my TV on Saturdays during college football season though.

Have you been hiding under a rock the last few weeks ?

We've been discussing Fox Sports 1 in the Directv tread I think the Pub as well.
We were wondering if it would be available on D* and E* from the git go as contracts weren't finalized till a few days ago.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/317612-MavTV-moves-to-214-starting-8-21-Fox-Sports-1-to-219

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...deals-with-DirecTV-Dish-and-Time-Warner-Cable

After looking closer, I don't think it was in the Pub.

Have you been hiding under a rock the last few weeks ?

We've been discussing Fox Sports 1 in the Directv tread I think the Pub as well.
We were wondering if it would be available on D* and E* from the git go as contracts weren't finalized till a few days ago.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/317612-MavTV-moves-to-214-starting-8-21-Fox-Sports-1-to-219

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...deals-with-DirecTV-Dish-and-Time-Warner-Cable

After looking closer, I don't think it was in the Pub.

I don't go to the direct tv sections, i have no need and I'm not a subscriber so ok... I also don't visit the pub so I posted about it here for discussion since it WILL effect ESPN ratings.

IMHO,

The ESPNs in a box:

- Sports argument shows, the first two or three of which were OK (PTI, Sports Reporters, etc) but they have gone to the well vastly too many times. You can only argue about the same stuff so much.

- SportsCenter. Which long ago stopped being a sports version of the nightly news and is now full of all sorts of ho-ha.

(And both of the above VASTLY give too much coverage to the NBA relative to its relative popularity. If you took a stopwatch and added up the seconds spent on the NBA and divided it by the NBA's actual ratings, the resulting number would be 1000s of times higher than any other sport. And both of the above ignore any sport (except those too big to ignore, such as the Super Bowl or NCAA Finals) that is not on ESPN.)

- Self-righteous self-appointed arbiters of racial / social / political / ethics of anything slightly sports related. A trend that seems to be expanding with recent hires/rehires of more retreaded political chattering class castoffs.

- Pre and post game shows which are about the only watchable non-event thing left on the channel.

- Actual live events, which are not really any better or worse on ESPN relative to being on any other channel.

IF FS1 plays its sports news shows straight and "fair and balanced" (in terms of what it covers, not wanting to argue politics here) and develops a few good pre- and post- and sports specific shows, and develops some other shows like PTI, it can blow ESPN away.

BTW, re the AFL discussion above, AFL and rugby are transitioning to FS2, as Fox Soccer is shutting down in two weeks.

I don't go to the direct tv sections, i have no need and I'm not a subscriber so ok... I also don't visit the pub so I posted about it here for discussion since it WILL effect ESPN ratings.

I figured most of us in the Sports section have either D* or DISH, you may be the exception.

However, I posted the threads for you to look at, not saying that you have ever been there.

That said, it's kinda hard to NOT hear the FS1 commercials on most channels you watch daily.

IF your a fan of baseball at all, the majority of teams are on a RSN (ala Fox Sports) or the Major FOX network, there has been plenty of exposure for anyone to have heard about the upcoming FS1 by now.

I have no problem with you posting it here (in this thread) or anywhere else.

I was trying to give you links so you could see what had been discussed previously.

IMHO,

The ESPNs in a box:

- Sports argument shows, the first two or three of which were OK (PTI, Sports Reporters, etc) but they have gone to the well vastly too many times. You can only argue about the same stuff so much.

- SportsCenter. Which long ago stopped being a sports version of the nightly news and is now full of all sorts of ho-ha.

(And both of the above VASTLY give too much coverage to the NBA relative to its relative popularity. If you took a stopwatch and added up the seconds spent on the NBA and divided it by the NBA's actual ratings, the resulting number would be 1000s of times higher than any other sport. And both of the above ignore any sport (except those too big to ignore, such as the Super Bowl or NCAA Finals) that is not on ESPN.)

- Self-righteous self-appointed arbiters of racial / social / political / ethics of anything slightly sports related. A trend that seems to be expanding with recent hires/rehires of more retreaded political chattering class castoffs.

- Pre and post game shows which are about the only watchable non-event thing left on the channel.

- Actual live events, which are not really any better or worse on ESPN relative to being on any other channel.

IF FS1 plays its sports news shows straight and "fair and balanced" (in terms of what it covers, not wanting to argue politics here) and develops a few good pre- and post- and sports specific shows, and develops some other shows like PTI, it can blow ESPN away.

BTW, re the AFL discussion above, AFL and rugby are transitioning to FS2, as Fox Soccer is shutting down in two weeks.

They already have a PTI Knock off, it's on thier show called The Crowd goes Wild, it looks to be just a segment though they call it "Pardon the Contradiction" ...

I agree with a lot of the posters here, pro & con ESPN. I felt they got a little full of themselves and personalities overtook sports. That being said, I find what I need TV wise with MLB, NHL & NFL networks. This eliminates most of the other sports I don't follow. Of course, I still tune in for live sports, usually college football. A little completion is good, but I think Fox Sports could end up being the same type of sports channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)