Tigers, Yankees, Diamondbacks agree to blockbuster deal

TomCat4680

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Mt. Morris, Michigan
Yankees get Curtis Granderson

Diamondbacks get Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy.

Tigers get Max Scherzer, Daniel Schlereth, Austin Jackson, and Phil Coke.

Full article: here

Last edited:
Yankees get Curtis Granderson

Diamondbacks get Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy.

Tigers get Max Scherzer, Daniel Schlereth, Austin Jackson, and Phil Coke.

Full article: here

The Rich get Richer and the poor get poorer. Please, for the love of the game MLB, please institute a salary cap already! I can't stand to see all this great young talent groomed through small market organizations, only to get shipped off when a team can no longer afford them. :(

Difficult to feel sorry for the Tigers, they put themselves into this mess with some really bad decisions. The Yankees had the young players in their farm system to make this trade.

That said, and take this for what it's worth, I still remember when Randy Johnson was traded to the Yankees...everyone reacted like it was the end of competitive baseball. Did not quite work out that way...:rolleyes:

Sandra

Being a Reds fan and in the smallest baseball market I would like to see a salary cap too.

Being a Reds fan and in the smallest baseball market I would like to see a salary cap too.
Being a Red Sox fan, and being able to see them once or twice a week on free TV no matter where in the country I am, I like things the way they are now.

Being a Red Sox fan, and being able to see them once or twice a week on free TV no matter where in the country I am, I like things the way they are now.

What does that have to do with a salary cap?

I remember reading a baseball article from the 90's, where the writer was saying the big market teams have too much of an advantage, and sooner or later either the league will fold, or there will only a small number of teams left.

Sandra

I remember reading a baseball article from the 90's, where the writer was saying the big market teams have too much of an advantage, and sooner or later either the league will fold, or there will only a small number of teams left.

Sandra

Neither league will "fold" per say, but it is an unfair advantage, like it or not. Especially with the advent of RSN's. Big markets are able to generate MUCH more money this way.

A $56 million a year salary cap didn't stop the New York Knicks from putting together a $120 million a year team...

Hey! Wait a minute! It wasn't supposed to work out that way!

Last edited:
The Rich get Richer and the poor get poorer. Please, for the love of the game MLB, please institute a salary cap already! I can't stand to see all this great young talent groomed through small market organizations, only to get shipped off when a team can no longer afford them. :(

Thing is, Grandersons contract was not bad at all, Tigers still have all the BAD contracts.

Still, Granderson had I think three affordable years left. The Tigers payroll had peaked at somewhere around $120 million because of re-signings. That struck me as unsustainable. But still, they are a middle market team and can afford a Granderson. In fact, a contract like his is what a team like that is supposed to be looking for. You can trade a player of that calibur to a contender if he has a full year left and get some value, whereas no one ever gets jack when they deal a rent-a-player during the final two months of his contract to a contender, but this deal is the most defeatest thing I have seen a team do since Cleveland pawned its 29 year old all-star catcher on the Red Sox last year.

BTW, I wonder how many people realize that for most of last year, the Red Sox had the eighth or ninth highest payroll in the major leagues. That is, of course, a bit deceptive because the payrolls of teams 2-9 were bunched up over a span of only about fifteen million dollars, but still, it came as a surprise to me.

Unfortunately for them, that was unsustainable too. it only was possible because about five of their key players - Lester, Pedrioa, Ellsbury, Papelbon and Buckholtz - were getting paid under 3 million dollars combined and Okajima was only getting about $1.3 million. That is one fourth of their major league roster.

Last edited:
Thing is, Grandersons contract was not bad at all, Tigers still have all the BAD contracts.

They were clearly looking "ahead" to Granderson's free agency. The same as the Indians did with Cliff Lee. Technically he was still under a "cheap" contract for 1 more year, but the Indians decided they could get more for him now, then in the last year of his contract. I'm assuming the Tiger's are thinking the same.

Wow, one move and I already don't want to renew my ticket package.

Curtis has a very affordable contract, 3 years left, he is not the payroll issue.

Paying Gary Sheffield $20M to play for the Mets however, and things like that, are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)