Status
Not open for further replies.

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI
I'm ready to sit back and start watching some good Christmas movies. I looked back at some previous lists, and here are the ones I'm going to queue up:

1. A Christmas Story. Almost everyone's favorite. I've got it on laserdisc and DVD. Don't think I'm going to spring for the HD-DVD as everyone says the graininess is just sharper there. Have you read the original Jean Sheppard short stories and essays that were the basis for this, and a lot more? A good staring point is the collection "In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash" or "Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories". You'll laugh your guts out.

2. Christmas Vacation. I think the best of the Vacation movies, and one that every father who tries to make it all work can relate to.

3. White Christmas. OK, I'm a sucker for old musicals.

4. Holiday Inn. Ditto, the movie that introduced the song, White Christmas.

5. The Sure Thing. Christmas based road picture with heart. One to watch with the SO.

6. Home Alone. Not really a favorite, but a good story here. We saw it in a theater, and at the part where he tries to get Santa to help him, he spies Santa trying to open the frozen door lock. Just then the voice of a small boy yells out in a distressed voice: "Mommy, Santa said 'Son of a Bitch'" The kid was obviously crushed.

7. The Santa Clause. Just something about it.

Others?

Note that It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street and A Christmas Carol didn't make my list. Too many times, too self aware. OK, maybe Muppet Christmas carol or Scrooged.

I love the musical SCROOGE made back in 1970 at Pinewood studios in England with Albert Finney as Ebneezer Scrooge. It isn't Christmas till I hear them sing the songs : "Thankyou very much" and "Father Christmas. " This show makes you really feel for the losses in Scrooge's life that made him what he became. The ending as always is fun to watch when he comes to Bob Crachets house and spreads presents to everyone and Tiny Tim too.

My other favorite I have to watch every year : " IT a Wonderful Life"
MERRY CHRISTMAS MR.Potter!! This film gets to me every year. A great story about being gratefull about what you have in life,because it could always be worse.

Note that It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street and A Christmas Carol didn't make my list. Too many times, too self aware.
But you include "A Christmas Story"? Especially since TBS (?) started running a 24 hour marathon of it that my kids insist needs to be running constantly, this movie that I don't even find all that funny really gets on my nerves. On the other hand, while "It's a Wonderful Life" at one point was reaching that point, since the copyright issues got sorted out and it's only one once (and as many times as I want to play it on DVD or tape) this is a must see for Christmas. I'll also watch any of the versions of "Miracle on 34th Street".

"The Nativity Story" which was released last year, and is now on DVD is a reasonably faithful telling of the Biblical story. I'm pretty picky about people mistaking what they saw in Sunday School Christmas Programs for what is found in the Bible, but it's a fairly good telling of the story from what little Bible actually tells us, and what we know of the culture of the time.

yeah, other than those mentioned:
(I love Scrooged and Christmas Vacation)
Claymation Rudolph

I think Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase is the new age classic just like It's a Wonderful life is the old age classic. Who hasn't wanted to kill your whole family during the holidays? THis movie shows how trying to live up to everyone's idea of a old time christmas will drive you f*cking nuts.

Yeah, its not a movie, but Claymation Rudolph is my favorite

The Tim Allen Claus films are fun; and we just saw Fred Claus at the theatre a few weeks ago; it was fun, but not classic.

One of my all-time favorites is the old muppets Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas special. Its cheesy, but we own the DVD and make a point to watch it every year.

Just bought Christmas Vacation on hd dvd. I watch it about 5 times a year. Would not be Christmas without Clark Griswold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)