time frame on HD FOX, ABC, & NBC?

ocnier

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 28, 2004
Grapevine, TX
Has anyone heard whether E* will finally commit to HD fox, abc, and nbc. I know about charlie's bs compelling content rule, but I thought surely by now something would have hit the wire with D* about to put the heat on them. I am really curious how ole charlie's gonna handle his swap out when MPEG 4 becomes the standard and the voom satellite is approved by the FCC (the 90 days waiting period is halfway over now, i think). :confused:

ocnier said:
Has anyone heard whether E* will finally commit to HD fox, abc, and nbc. I know about charlie's bs compelling content rule, but I thought surely by now something would have hit the wire with D* about to put the heat on them. I am really curious how ole charlie's gonna handle his swap out when MPEG 4 becomes the standard and the voom satellite is approved by the FCC (the 90 days waiting period is halfway over now, i think). :confused:

At last word E* is not going to try and compete with D* on HD Locals. Charlie called it too expensive and a waste of bandwidth. It was mentioned that with MPEG4 E* could probably do 10 or 20 local markets in HD. Of course all this could change at a moments notice.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
At last word E* is not going to try and compete with D* on HD Locals. Charlie called it too expensive and a waste of bandwidth. It was mentioned that with MPEG4 E* could probably do 10 or 20 local markets in HD. Of course all this could change at a moments notice.

NightRyder
I understand that, but this still doesn't explain why CBS hd nationally and not the other 3 major networks? I mean he's already doing one, so why not the other 3. I will admit though this "dope deal" was done when viacom (cbs parent company) was courting E* for buy out at that time, but it's time to get off the fence and get moving. If not now, when? :confused:

ocnier said:
I understand that, but this still doesn't explain why CBS hd nationally and not the other 3 major networks. I mean he's already doing one, so why not the other 3. I will admit though this "dope deal" was done when viacom (cbs parent company) was courting E* for buy out at that time, but I it's time to get off the fence and get moving. If not now, when?

Who knows? Even if E* offers them, there is the question of who qualifies to receive them. It might help if the FCC got off their collective ass and started setting the rules for digital white areas, to me using the old analog white areas would be a logical starting point, but what do I know? :(

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Who knows? Even if E* offers them, there is the question of who qualifies to receive them. It might help if the FCC got off their collective ass and started setting the rules for digital white areas, for now using the old analog white areas as a starting point would make sense in my book.

NightRyder

Now that sh*t, I totally know where you are comin from and completely agree, but unfortunately the FCC is under some major pressure right now with the supreme court and grokster in the works. They really aren't focused on any major policy change till that Charlie Foxtrot is done.

E* tried to get ABC and NBC a couple years back but they weren't interested from what I recall. If anyone remembers please post it.

It would be absolutely wonderful to get the national network feeds from DBS. But we are instead tied up by arcane rules, largely defined by the limits of old technology.

I can't get the current CBS HD feed, so if E* added Fox, NBC, and ABC it would do me no good at all.

Of course, since I can now pick up all locals in superb HD quality through my Dish receiver OTA input, it doesn't make much difference.

ocnier said:
I understand that, but this still doesn't explain why CBS hd nationally and not the other 3 major networks? I mean he's already doing one, so why not the other 3. I will admit though this "dope deal" was done when viacom (cbs parent company) was courting E* for buy out at that time, but it's time to get off the fence and get moving. If not now, when? :confused:

hey guy,

you guys at dish nowork have Cry Baby System because they are buying CHARLIE the CLOWNS echo junk space debris.

why cant you get fox....good lord,,, think about that one, for a split second......oh my...keith rupert owns directv and fox, and 20th century fox studios (VOOM WHO?) , damn near controls sinclair.....remember that???

ergen is too tight to buy you the locals

HE IS SELLING,,,,TAKE THAT TO THE BANK,,, ask scott

dish is DONE, scott admitted that today, and the writing is on the wall :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked

....DRAGON :rolleyes:

Cannot get OTA here due to mountains (even though I am only 20 miles from transmitters). I will go to first provider which can give me locals in HD.

sateck01 said:
hey guy,

you guys at dish nowork have Cry Baby System because they are buying CHARLIE the CLOWNS echo junk space debris.

why cant you get fox....good lord,,, think about that one, for a split second......oh my...keith rupert owns directv and fox, and 20th century fox studios (VOOM WHO?) , damn near controls sinclair.....remember that???

ergen is too tight to buy you the locals

HE IS SELLING,,,,TAKE THAT TO THE BANK,,, ask scott

dish is DONE, scott admitted that today, and the writing is on the wall :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked

....DRAGON :rolleyes:

Okay, you lost me a little there, where or what thread did Scott say Charlie was selling? :confused:

Never, mind I found it. I assume you're talking about the new vice chairman. Well, if they merge it would definitely be a good thing IMO. I think Viacom would kick start the HD process and because it is CBS it could use more leverage like Fox/D* have now. I am curious how this will play out when SBC's TV offering plans go live.

whos keith rupert? I thought rupert murdoch was the man that was ceo of directv, man, I tell you what people just think they know all dont they. rules for posting, gather facts, then post, make sure you are not trolling in a nother forum! and rule number 3, dont use more then 4 faces in one post, thank you!

stuart628 said:
whos keith rupert? I thought rupert murdoch was the man that was ceo of directv, man, I tell you what people just think they know all dont they. rules for posting, gather facts, then post, make sure you are not trolling in a nother forum! and rule number 3, dont use more then 4 faces in one post, thank you!

Ignore him, he's a well known troll.

NightRyder

I would have to agree I am currently a Dish Network subscriber however I am in a market with very poor OTA HD the Peoria IL market. Our Fox station has its HD setup working and has used it a couple of times at high power however it keeps going back to low power operation. I have heard that the reason is that there is no money in the HD market to pay for the additional cost to transmit the HD signal. Our CBS station will go to HD will He** freezes over it has been stated by them many time they have no intent to broadcast any HD any time in the forseeable future. The only stations that broadcast in HD at full power and with a antenna at full height is our ABC and NBC stations. And due to the physical location of my House OTA reception is a real problem for me I live in the river valley near the bluff and the transmitters are located up on the bluff so I am in the shadow area I would have to go 30 or more feet above my roof to just have a shot at getting a signal. So the first system Satellite or Cable that will allow me to receive all the networks in HD even if they are not the local networks will be the winner in my house. Before I purchased my house I should have checked into OTA TV reception more.

NY and LA will probably be first so the two biggest markets (and biggest subscribed distants) will come online first. My guess is Fall 05-Spring 06 for a launch window. Fall 05 if they decide to use Rainbow 1, Spring if they decide to wait for Mpeg4 first.

NightRyder said:
Ignore him, he's a well known troll.

NightRyder

gotcha, guess I am just tired of E* bashing all the time, the honeymoon is over with the voom channels being launched, so now its time to start bashing E* again because they havent had a RUMORED announcement of free mpeg4 hardware and more HD channels Coming. I am 100% sure that E* will keep side by side with Directv with HD channels. but to each his own!

stuart628 said:
gotcha, guess I am just tired of E* bashing all the time, the honeymoon is over with the voom channels being launched, so now its time to start bashing E* again because they havent had a RUMORED announcement of free mpeg4 hardware and more HD channels Coming. I am 100% sure that E* will keep side by side with Directv with HD channels. but to each his own!

Still, ya gotta admit, that with D* coming up on almost a complete year with the "big 4" and E* with only the "big 1", its getting time to add the rest of the 3 networks to the line up\wing feeds. I just figured with the voom satellite halfway through the FCC approval process (barring potential problems) that you would at least hear something out of ole chalie (ie. charlie chat, dealers forum, etc...) that at least negotiations were in the works with the other affliates (though I will cut him slack if he takes his time with fox understandably). I know E* tends to lag behind sometimes, but they never really tend to fall back more than a year when it comes to programming options.

yeah, I am awaiting something about locals in HD but E* has done a great job IMO, would I love to have hd locals yes, will I stick with E* even if they dont have them, yes. but I am sure something is coming down the pike soon as locals are a big big issue with sat. subs!

Charlie has forgotten who gave him his start - the BUD customers that can't get TV any other way than via satellite. We're the millions of "white area" customers that are still a fair chunk of his subscriber base.

We also watch a lot of TV - at least during the winter. ;)

SO - distant nets in HD are going to be a decision point real soon - in fact it's already happening. On Friday, I converted a customer from E* to D*. Guess why.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)