Time to go. Sorry Dish...

DirtyTurbin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Michigan
Well with the new offer by Comcast and Dish not having my locals in HD it's time for me to depart the world of Dish. I am getting there silver package with HBO and 2 DVR's Moto 6412's and Howard TV for 67.00 a month for 12 months. Will I miss the Voom reruns no but Food HD my wife might. All and all Dish has been good to me besides there crappy install I had to redo and the missed promises " extra storage bad attempt at On Demand". Basically it comes down to the almighty buck for me. We shall see what happens.

Good luck! I went from Dish to Comcast and back to Dish. I tried Comcast becuase I was already paying them $13 for lifeline cable TV so I could have a cable modem, so it SEEMED to be less to go ahead and switch.

However, the cost savings were not there (maybe $5 a month) and the DVR was 1/4 of the Dish one I had (522). Now I have a ViP 622 and am thrilled, even if I still don't have HD locals. However, since the ViP 622 has a digital tuner, I think I'll end up with OTA locals and be an even higher PQ than Comcast locals.

Hope it works out better for you!

I'm dumping Dish as well. I tolerated too many lies of HD locals. I actually added a second dish and upgraded my receiver because they said if I did I would get HD locals. They failed to mention that I had to wait till '07'... oh sorry '08'.... or will it be '09'... this lifetime?...maybe? Actually switching to TWC will give me HD locals THIS WEEK! Not about the $$$ for me; it's all about viewing pleasure.

People, be a man and put up a real OTA antenna system and get your locals in real HD, to heck with homeowners ASSociations and worrying about what the neighbors would think, stand up and be a real American with a real antenna on the roof or on a mast next to the house, I did and I get TRUE HD from 3 different markets. The cost is less than you will spend on all extra SAt features you pay for. THEN you will never have to worry about when your HD locals will be on the bird, just put up OTA and give the bird the bird.

Good luck with that POS 6412 - I went through 4 of them when I was with Comcast and they all had same issue - severe lag via the remote which is a big problem with a DVR. The Dish 622 has been a godsend to me!

Jeff

People, be a man and put up a real OTA antenna system and get your locals in real HD, to heck with homeowners ASSociations and worrying about what the neighbors would think, stand up and be a real American with a real antenna on the roof or on a mast next to the house, I did and I get TRUE HD from 3 different markets. The cost is less than you will spend on all extra SAt features you pay for. THEN you will never have to worry about when your HD locals will be on the bird, just put up OTA and give the bird the bird.

I couldn't agree more! Whats the difference if you put up another Dish or an OTA antenna. Put the OTA in any of DISH Networks receievers and its a seemless integration!

I had comcast before I switched over too Dish. They provided a great service but it really hurts once the promotion ends and then you end up paying 100 month (which didn't include any premium channels).

I had comcast before I switched over too Dish. They provided a great service but it really hurts once the promotion ends and then you end up paying 100 month (which didn't include any premium channels).

I had the same experience with Comcast. Great with the promotion but watch out when it ends. I prefer the 622 over comcast's 3412 any day of the week!!

That's fine if you can pick up your locals with an OTA, but what if you can't? Not everyone has that option.

I may be doing the same thing with Comcast. I hate to do it because I've always equated Comcast with Satan himself. But money talks, and now Verizon has pushed Fios in my area back to Summer 2008.

I can get Comcast's triple play deal (including cable internet) for $50 less a month than what I'm currently paying E* & Verizon for just TV & Phone. I even had them calculate out my payments after the promotion ends and I'll still save $5 a month and still get the internet as well.

I love my Dish Network and the HD channels, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself not to go with what is cheaper.

Of course Comcast doesn't realize that once Fios is in, I'll kick them to the curb too.

I'm on the fence about dumping Dish for D* because of the RSN HD that they have and Dish doesn't. NESN-HD is important to me for the Red Sox.

I'm dumping Dish as well. I tolerated too many lies of HD locals. I actually added a second dish and upgraded my receiver because they said if I did I would get HD locals. They failed to mention that I had to wait till '07'... oh sorry '08'.... or will it be '09'... this lifetime?...maybe? Actually switching to TWC will give me HD locals THIS WEEK! Not about the $$$ for me; it's all about viewing pleasure.

Well if your in the Binghamton area, we don't even have SD locals yet. much less Dish offering them in HD. I emailed Dish several months ago and asked when they might offer our locals and they replied that the Binghamton DMA wasn't even in their plans. I went back to TWC as well and am paying less and getting way more.

i know mediacom cable has been begging me to come back to them and for me to leave dish. they have offered me 6 months of everything with there phone and internet too. for FREE. and pay the early termination fee up to 300$$ just to come back but i know how there service is and how crappy there service really is. picture quality is so much better at dish never had an issue with there service. i would rather pay for dish than get free cable.

Well with the new offer by Comcast and Dish not having my locals in HD it's time for me to depart the world of Dish. I am getting there silver package with HBO and 2 DVR's Moto 6412's and Howard TV for 67.00 a month for 12 months. Will I miss the Voom reruns no but Food HD my wife might. All and all Dish has been good to me besides there crappy install I had to redo and the missed promises " extra storage bad attempt at On Demand". Basically it comes down to the almighty buck for me. We shall see what happens.

LOL! Too bad you didn't do your research first. I will almost bet you will come begging back to Dish.

I too signed up for the Comcast triple play and I have been very satisfied with their PQ. Dish seems to be really compressing their channels too much. Hands down, the Comcast PQ is 10x clearer, especially with anything with lots of side to side movement i.e. NBA, NHL, etc. Only complaint, I have with Comcast is their DVR. They need more memory. I would like to see one of their newer Panasonic and/or Tivo units, though. Perhaps, it's been the luck of the draw, but I have never had a problem with Comcast's customer service either. They have never failed to show for an appointment (Dish = 3x, DirecTV = 2x). The On Demand features and the newer releases on PPV beat the limited amount available on Dish, too. On my 2nd 622 here and the problems continue... I can't wait for my DISH contract to end.

I tried MediaCrap for a whole hour, slow changing channels, Moto DVR was a big pile of junk. Picture was soft, I compared them side to side. And they would only give me 2 HD boxes, I have 6 HDTV's. Dish supplied 1 HD DVR and 2 HD receivers and I purchased another 622 and a couple of more 211's. There might be better cable systems out there, but Mediacrap isn't one of them.

Mediacom is clueless. You will probably see them start getting real desperate as a result of all the lost customers they experienced since early Decamber. I had the Moto 6416 Phase III with Mediacom. The 622 is much better in every way. I really hated the delay from the remote.

funny that most people seem to say its because of hd locals.. and the ones with it complain that it's over compressed.. I guess the old story is true.. can't make everyone happy..

We just dumped Comcast for Dish. There were two reasons for this.
1. Customer Service. Comcast has the worst customer service I've ever had the mispleasure of experiencing. Just adding a channel to my package was a nightmare. After many tries remotely, and me reseting the box many times, they still couldn't get the channel added. They said they'd send a tech out in a couple of weeks to trouble shoot further. I told them never mind. Funny thing is, when we dropped the cable, a tech was out *that* day to put a filter in the line. Two weeks to get a tech if you are still paying for service, but they can send someone out right away if you want to disconnect.

2. They started getting rid of the HD channels I liked (INHD, HDNET, HDMVS) and replacing them with cropped versions of SD channels like TNT,etc.

As an additional benefit, we also lowered our tv bill by 20% or more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)