Time to start over, maybe

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
We took a near miss lightning strike on Tuesday. It messed up my new Sony Bravia and soundbar. Took out 3 satellite boxes. Toasted the cable modem and a seperate wireless router. And killed the LAN port in the computer. Took me 2 days to get back on line and now I'm checking out all my streaming gear including 2 Fire TV's and a couple of Firesticks. Not sure what I'm going to do about the C-band and Ku-band stuff. I'd have to replace the boxes before I can even test the LNB's and dish movers. The problem there is if I spend the money for the boxes and then find out the LNB's and movers are toast I'd probably throw in the towel which would mean I would have wasted the money on the boxes. Oh joy. :(

Maybe you can find a cheap box for testing?

I got lucky one time, lightning hit very close to my house and shook the place. The dish and equipment survived, but it knocked out my 4DTV subscription. Had to call for a rehit.

Reactions: c-spand
Good reason to have a savings account. Unless you want to go into debt with a credit card.

Good reason to have a savings account. Unless you want to go into debt with a credit card.
I have other toys to spend my savings on. ;)
DSC02033crs.jpg

Good news! Thanks to Mike I was able to set up and test both dishes and here's the results; the LNBs on both dishes are toast but the motors are OK. I have spares for both LNBs but unfortunately can only reach the Ku dish right now so that LNB got swapped and we have picture using Mike's box!

The C-band will have to wait until I can rig a ladder as my regular rig is ocupado. The first photo is my reg rig (trust me, it is strapped down tight). The second pic is Uncle Herkimer on duty for the season (which changes to a turkey Nov 1st and Santa Dec 1st). Here's some spooky, in keeping with the season, news on the C-band box; after 3 days it came on all by itself and a day later the clock started working so I started testing it every day and after a couple more days I was able to get into the menus. With the LNB dead that's as far as I could go but there's a glimmer of hope that box might be OK. Was that Rod Serling I just saw? o_O
20210914_173629s.jpgIMG_20221008_170936-2s.jpg

Got some nice weather so I rigged up a ladder I just picked up at a yard sale. It turns out both the box and the LNB were toast. I still had my spare C1W-PLL LNB from back when I installed the CK1-S so I stuck that in and tested it with the Amiko and walah, it's alive! Almost 4 weeks to the day and everything is finally back to working. I think I owe myself a Weihenstephaner (Bavarian lager). ;)

C1W_PLL-1s.jpg