Time to swap the EHD on my 211. What's the easiest way?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Hi all. After nearly a year connected to my 211, the 1T WD drive is close to full with stuff I'll probably want to keep. So I want to activate a second such drive. I know there's the "Remove DVR" (or whatever it's called) option in the "My Recordings" menu. I assume the process to swap drives is to click that option and follow instructions, then connect the new EHD and let the 211 go through it's formatting procedure with the new drive, etc. I haven't tried that yet hence my ignorance.

When I disconnect then reconnect an EHD using the "Remove..." function will the 211 have to go through rebooting procedures which includes downloading the EPG...twice? I'm guessing, perhaps incorrectly, that after removing the current drive it will reboot into a non-DVR configuration which would include D/Ling the 3-day EPG, then after connecting the new drive (and reformatting it) it would have to repeat the process and D/L the 9-day EPG. All of that could take 15-20 mins. Would I have to go through that same process every time I switch between the drives as well (minus the reformatting)? Or is there a way to shortcut the process for already formatted drives by NOT clicking "Remove...", putting the 211 into standby, swap the drive, then power-up again at which time it would still see an EHD connected and perhaps not have to go through the EPG D/L process?

Also - is 1TB still the EHD limit for the 211?

TIA and BRgds...

When you go to the remove DVR menu it will give you like a 20 second countdown to remove the drive. It will then reboot.

If I'm swapping drives this will give me enough time to move the USB cable from one drive to the other. It will then reboot and come back up with the new drive available.

I don't remember the guide downloading again but I haven't done it for some time and both drives are already formatted.

If you want to avoid the 211 jumping to non-dvr mode. I would plug the new drive in the same way during the countdown. This should save you at least some time.

Don't now about the 211. But with the 722, I check that I am not transferring and just pull the USB and whenever I get to it I insert the new one. It will put up a notice that I have removed the first and usually asks on the second if I want to use it.
-Ken

Tks folks. Sounds like there are some built-in shortcuts for drives that are already formatted.

(I'll probably have to get some experience with the additional storage option on my 622 as well, tho' I've been trying to avoid that second $40 fee. That unit has lost its HDMI output and I'll probably end up exchanging it, but I want to save some of its internal HDD content first.)

Can anyone tell me the current EHD size limitation for the 211 ??

Is there anyway to copy the contents of a 211 external hard drive to a larger drive and use that drive with the 211?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)