Time Warner Cable Syracuse Division Universal HD Just Temporary? Local HD Feeds?

GMFreak8

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Adirondacks
I noticed that Time Warner Cable has added Universal HD to their standard (free) HD lineup, and while I was flipping through the channels I cam across the YES Network HD channel, and they have a message that reads "This channels will be available in HD-format ONLY during telecast of some live games by YES Network in high definition. Enjoy the Olympics from Universal HD during our temporary coverage (until February 26) on Channel 808". So my question is, why is Universal HD just a temporary channel, why aren't they offering it full time after the Olympics? Also does anyone know when Time Warner cable will offer NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox in HD? They've been promising it to me for a year now, and I've yet to see the channels added to the lineup.

It appears that Universal HD is offering this for "free" to all of the cable and satellite companies who don't already carry them. It's temporary because TW (and other cablecos) haven't come to a contractual agreement on officially carrying it.

Does UHD hope that this will cause customers to request the channel later ? I'm sure that plays into it. Personally, have you looked at their lineup ? Quite frankly, it's really, really lame, IMO. If TW offered it "free" like TNT-HD and Discovery HD, that's fine. If they add it to the HD Tier, I'd really hope they don't try and increase the price because of it. I don't watch a channel or a show just because it's in HD, whereas there are many who do. I won't pay for all the HD I can get either. Some of it just isn't worth it.

hall said:
It appears that Universal HD is offering this for "free" to all of the cable and satellite companies who don't already carry them. It's temporary because TW (and other cablecos) haven't come to a contractual agreement on officially carrying it.

Does UHD hope that this will cause customers to request the channel later ? I'm sure that plays into it. Personally, have you looked at their lineup ? Quite frankly, it's really, really lame, IMO. If TW offered it "free" like TNT-HD and Discovery HD, that's fine. If they add it to the HD Tier, I'd really hope they don't try and increase the price because of it. I don't watch a channel or a show just because it's in HD, whereas there are many who do. I won't pay for all the HD I can get either. Some of it just isn't worth it.

I see, that explains it. Yeah, I've looked at their lineup, and I would definitely not pay for it. I don't see any programming on any of the HD channels offered in the HD package that I'd want to pay for. It's part of the reason I still don't have it. I wish Time Warner would get their ass in gear and start offering more channels in HD.

I researched the local channels more, and it appears none of them are broadcasting in HD or even digital for that matter. I wish they'd hurry up and switch. I watch HBO, Showtime, and the big networks. When they offer those in HD, everything I watch will be HD.

GMFreak8 said:
I see, that explains it. Yeah, I've looked at their lineup, and I would definitely not pay for it. I don't see any programming on any of the HD channels offered in the HD package that I'd want to pay for. It's part of the reason I still don't have it. I wish Time Warner would get their ass in gear and start offering more channels in HD.

I researched the local channels more, and it appears none of them are broadcasting in HD or even digital for that matter. I wish they'd hurry up and switch. I watch HBO, Showtime, and the big networks. When they offer those in HD, everything I watch will be HD.

That is quite funny as last I heard Universal HD had a contract in place to carry this channel in the HD Pak. I have heard that most companies are making Universal HD free during this timeframe so that you don't need to order any HD packages to get it. BHN has told me that they got the channel deal passed down from TWC corporate. Maybe your local market is saying this because they don't have enough bandwidth to keep it on forever or maybe the message is generic or maybe they are just saying its free to all customers until this date at which time only HD Pak subscribers can get it.

I'm just not sure about this as I know for a fact that TWC has a contract in place for this channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)