Time Warner "favorites" list when I select "guide"

glankrudolph

Original poster
May 29, 2010
east coast
Using Time Warner / Scientific Atlanta cable box

When I select "guide", I only want to see my "favorites" in the channel list. I used to be able to see this, but now I see all the channels, and now it takes forever to scroll through useless channels.

How do I get the "guide" list to show only my "favorites"?

thanks

Time Warner has informed me that "this feature is no longer available".

Great. So now I have to scroll through useless shopping channels. Great. Thanks, Time Warner, for the "improvement".

Same here. Have favoritized only the 4 major networks and liked the ability to see them grouped together when planning the evenings viewing. Now I have junk channels between them. Plus after all the downloading of the guide changes recently, can't see much of anything different. Certainly nothing of any use. Is this supposed to be the much ballyhood Navigator?

Not just the SA boxes. It appears to be systems wide as my Samsung HD-DVR just punted the favorite list as well.

I also had mounted an e-sata drive and it hasn't mounted since the change either, so I guess they disabled that as well.

Not sure if being uncompetitive in features is marketing (pandering to the shopping channels) or just poor software engineering practices. This is the only industry where stuff gets worse over time.

I am so frustrated with this box right now. The fast forward isn't working right anymore either. When I select 3x, what i get is it sits in one spot for a period of time and then jumps ahead a bit. It jumps further in 3x mode than in 1x mode, but it also sits on the image 3 times as long. The net result is that I have nowhere near 3x FF. Its more like 1.5x and I get to watch a lot of still images.

More sound dropouts than I used to have as well. Add to that the disabled favorites list and I have about had it. Unfortunately, all this occurred about a week after the no penalty for dropping period ended. :rant:

I actually think the Samsung HD-DVR has the potential to be really good, but we never know, thanks to the brain dead TW programmers.

Well I actually feel they did improve the fast forward feature on the S.A. DVR. You can fast forward and if you go too far, it actually takes you right back to the next sport after the commerical. TWC needs to fix the DSV though. Becasue it is getting annoying at times when the guide tells you channel is not currently available.

This is such a ridiculous change made by Time Warner and it has me SO mad.

I called them on this a few days ago, the woman kept saying this feature was "modified", and every time I said "It's not modified, you eliminated a feature!" she kept pointing to the Favorites button, saying you can use that to get to your favorites. I had to explain to her that this takes you to the next channel, it does not show you a guide based on your favorites - and that works exactly as it has for years and therefore has nothing to do with any "modification".

We went in this frustrating circle over and over again -- she kept saying that they make software updates to improve service all of the time, and my main point was that they removed a feature for no reason, what will you remove next? Not to mention, this will cost me SO much time - as mentioned previously in this thread: who wants to scroll through hundreds of channels you will never watch, or dont have access to??

I wish there was someone there that could actually explain the thinking here -- no question in my mind that it was related to getting people to watch the shopping channels.

One other thing on this -- this same software update also eliminated the fact that the box sends a signal on all outputs simultaneously. I was using the HDMI for my TV, and componenent output for my Slingbox Solo (Solo has no HDMI support), and then suddenly my Slingbox stopped getting a signal. I had the cable guy over the other day for a service call and he confirmed that this was changed.

I guess I'll just go back to routing the component output through my Slingbox to my TV and stop using HDMI -- or maybe there's some HDMI splitter-related solution.

At least this change I could understand...

One other thing on this -- this same software update also eliminated the fact that the box sends a signal on all outputs simultaneously. I was using the HDMI for my TV, and componenent output for my Slingbox Solo (Solo has no HDMI support), and then suddenly my Slingbox stopped getting a signal. I had the cable guy over the other day for a service call and he confirmed that this was changed.

I guess I'll just go back to routing the component output through my Slingbox to my TV and stop using HDMI -- or maybe there's some HDMI splitter-related solution.

At least this change I could understand...

There is a good chance that this may be a pre-cursor to having them turn on the HDCP flags and forcing component to 480i.

I get the feeling that a lot of these changes have nothing to do with customer satisfaction and are just catering to the interests of TWC and the content providers.

Look at the favorites list thing. The change only benefits shopping channels that can no longer be hidden, and TWC in that you are forced to see content that you are not currently subscribed to.

Add to that, the fact that there is absolutely no indication whether you are subscribed to the channel, so I end up choosing something on IFC or Encore, only to be told that I need to spend another $10/month to view it.