Time Warner to Promote Aereo if CBS Blacks out Cable Customers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Time Warner Cable to pitch Aereo if CBS blacks out cable subscribers

July 22, 2013 | By Steve Donohue

Time Warner Cable (NYSE: TWC) is using Aereo's local TV platform as leverage in its retransmission-consent battle with CBS Corp. (NYSE: CBS).

CEO Glenn Britt first told analysts on an earnings call in April 2012 that he saw potential to use Aereo, which distributes local TV stations to Web surfers for $8 monthly, as leverage with broadcasters demanding increased fees. "Aereo I think is a very interesting idea. I have no idea whether the courts will find it legal or not, but it's certainly something we're looking at," Britt said.

With CBS threatening to pull stations from Time Warner Cable subscribers in New York, Los Angeles and Dallas as early as Wednesday, the MSO is using Aereo as a bargaining chip. It plans to recommend Aereo, which debuted in New York in March 2012, as an option if CBS pulls the feed from flagship station WCBS-TV, spokeswoman Maureen Huff told the New York Times on Sunday.

Read more: Time Warner Cable to pitch Aereo if CBS blacks out cable subscribers - FierceCable http://www.fiercecable.com/story/ti...ut-cable-subscribers/2013-07-22#ixzz2Zn2MOUEj
Subscribe at FierceCable

What would customers in those other locations be able to do? I though you had to have a NYC address in order to get Aereo?

Aereo will be gone because the courts will rule that is not legal. We have congress to blame, think of a little bill that made this mess possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We live in East Texas and get Tyler locals because of the DMA Directv has us in. I would LOVE to get DFW locals again and this may possibly be the way to do so (using my dad's address).

Back on topic, I can see CBS going after Time Warner for this easily.

We will see, so far the courts have favored Aereo.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I hope you are right, but Aereo is a cable or sat provider since they charge a monthly fee and under the bill, I forgot its name, congress gave the locals the final say on weather they will be carried by a provider and what fees they can collect.

If Aereo charged $100.00 for the equipment with no monthly fees then maybe their business model will be legal.

I hope you are right, but Aereo is a cable or sat provider since they charge a monthly fee and under the bill, I forgot its name, congress gave the locals the final say on weather they will be carried by a provider and what fees they can collect.

If Aereo charged $100.00 for the equipment with no monthly fees then maybe their business model will be legal.

Aereo doesn't charge for the programming, they charge for the rental of an antenna and the dvr functionality.

Aereo will be gone because the courts will rule that is not legal. We have congress to blame, think of a little bill that made this mess possible.
Aereo will be around and has survived every lawsuit thrown at it.

Fox now wants to go to the surpreme court to get the ruling that makes Aereo legal overturned.

Its not going to happen. Times are changing.

Aereo will be around and has survived every lawsuit thrown at it.

Fox now wants to go to the surpreme court to get the ruling that makes Aereo legal overturned.

Its not going to happen. Times are changing.

Scott that is what I'am referring to.the Supreme Court will rule it is not legal. They will claim that the $8.99 Is a programming fee.

I'am basing this on how they ruled on the affordable act. Ergo if it acts like a duck and quacks like a duck it is a duck no matter what you call it.

I don't see the Supreme court voting against it.

In fact I don't see the Supreme Court even hearing the case.

The Supreme court will have to step in to rule if the 2nd and the 9th courts disagree. Aerokiller got blocked by the 9th for the same thing. But, of course we have to wait for a trial to actually find out if it is legal, aero in the east and aerokiller out west. If they come to different conclusions and the district courts disagree too, then the Supreme Court will have to decide which court is correct. It is probably at least 3 years before we get to that point though.

Scott that is what I'am referring to.the Supreme Court will rule it is not legal. They will claim that the $8.99 Is a programming fee.

I'am basing this on how they ruled on the affordable act. Ergo if it acts like a duck and quacks like a duck it is a duck no matter what you call it.

They don't have to take the case and probably won't, meaning the lower court ruling stands.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)