Timer Alert - Sarah Connor name change

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
I went to set a timer for the series premiere of Joss Whedon's new series Dollhouse on February 13th and noticed that there was no timer set for the resumption of Sarah Connor Chronicles immediately preceding Dollhouse.
Then I noticed that Tribune's listings (used by Dish Network) had changed tht title of the show to "Connor Chronicles" so it no longer matched "Sarah Connor Chronicles".

So, check your NBR timer for this show, you will probably need to make a new one.

PS This is appropriate to the Forum, as it affects all Dish DVRs, and people will only be helped by the message if it appears in a place where they will see it.

I have noticed Tribune is shortening up names. For instance, I saw Cinemax has been playing Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix as "Harry Potter and ..." Thought such changes might screw up times.

I think I missed a few SCC episodes last year do to a name change, too.

yeah, the other night on ABC Family they had The Chronicals of.... instead of The Chronicals of Narnia, The lion, the witch and the wardrobe

It probably depends on which method you used to create the timer.

I think that a "Dish Pass" timer is more sensitive to the name than "DVR" timers....

And I'll throw out a "Heads-Up" on the Feb 17th/18th ATSC changeover. Since some of our channels are moving their ATSC channels to the same frequency that they used for NTSC, I bet I'll need to re-do my timers for most of my OTA events. Plus, I hope Dish is pro-active and supports the ATSC Channel mappings for the EPG with the new channel assignments.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Even though we've got 13 episodes of Sarah Connor Chronicles on the DVR that we've yet to watch, we intend to catch up now that football season is over. (Same thing goes for Heroes).

I use DISH PASS for almost all repeating timers, and the name change you pointed out would have resulted in a missed episode, so thank you very much!

And I'll throw out a "Heads-Up" on the Feb 17th/18th ATSC changeover. Since some of our channels are moving their ATSC channels to the same frequency that they used for NTSC, I bet I'll need to re-do my timers for most of my OTA events. Plus, I hope Dish is pro-active and supports the ATSC Channel mappings for the EPG with the new channel assignments.

That's a good point. We all need to re-scan our locals on Feb. 17. The timers may or may not follow, although I bet they will because the channel names will remain the same in most cases.

Where you get this?

FCC is wanting stations to stay on pre tranisiton channels even if they shut down analog early until the new 6/12 transition date.

Where did you get this idea? At the station where I'm an engineer when we switch over not what date we do it we will not be staying with the pre-transition channel. If we did it would wipe out half of the DMA to the north of us for one channel. In fact even at the lower power we are running now we wiped out 1 town in that DMA. We are going to have to contact one of the stations to the north of us to see when they are going to transition to keep from wiping them out if we go to the analog channel we are using now. Oh BTW digital wipes out an analog channel every time.

Pretty sure what he means is everyone will display a "virtual" channel number with PSIP. New frequencies in many cases, but it will show up as the old channel numbers.

My concern was with Dish's mapping of the OTA ATSC channels to the EPG. If Dish uses the PSIP channel name, fine, but if they have a matrix that matches EPG data to the actual channel number, we may find that a lot of our OTA locals go "Digital Service" on us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts