Timers that don't show in the timer list but still exist. How to delete?

JudH

Jan 5, 2006
Millsap, TX
Just upgraded to a HWS + SuperJoey. Updated to latest software. All going good until...

I've got 7 timers that aren't visible in the timer list but are still recording. They all have one thing in common. I was planning to use folders so created a few--these 7 all had folder set to "News". Then I discovered that you have to select "My Folders" to see those BUT if you do that the auto-folders created by recording multiple episodes of a show is no longer visible i.e. all the episodes are listed under the main folder. I wasn't expecting true sub-folders to be supported but I thought surely each show would still be grouped. Nope. In that case I decided to not use custom folders and used the delete all folders command. And of course forgot to edit the 7 timers I had already set.

That didn't seem to affect anything until I hit a bug. I was using the DVR-Red-Timers-Edit Actions-Priority list to make some priority changes and some weren't taking--I'd press "move up" and nothing would happen. I messed with that for a couple of days. Finally two things happened: 1) I realized that the problem was only happening at priority #31 and higher. If I selected #30 the "move down" button was greyed out like it was at the bottom. #29 worked fine. This is repeatable and appears to be a bug. Is this a known bug? 2) In the process of trying to make this work I must have selected "move to top" on one or more of those higher timers. As soon as I did all the timers with folder set to a no-longer-there folder name vanished. They were all together so it's a block of timers 2-8 just below PTAT. I can move another timer to top and the "missing" block moves down.

The timers are still functioning. In the schedule I still see the shows. If I select the show and choose edit timer it brings up an incomplete timer screen (nothing on the left like channel) with "Invalid!" in both the timer type and frequency field. Everything else is blank including priority. I can update the type, frequency, and start/end fields but NOT the priority field. I can select save but nothing happens. There is no DELETE on this screen. My guess is this is NOT the REAL timer at all just something like a spaceholder because the system couldn't find the real one.

I've tried:
1) reset; powering off and waiting; pulling the plug and waiting. no change.
2) putting the folder News back and reset--still no change and the shows to NOT get stored in the folder.
3) deleting all the timers and restoring from the remote--no change--I think the backup was made after I deleted the folders but before the actual glitch. While they were deleted no timers were listed in the timer list (other than PTAT).
4) turning PTAT off. No change other than the block moves up. I'm doing the "set PTAT on but in the future and set normal timers that get autohop" trick mentioned here since I have no desire to wade thru all those network shows for the few I need. Two of the 7 timers were within the ptat span--the other 5 were not.
5) reset factory defaults which automatically restored from the remote (wasn't expecting that). No change. Timer block still missing. Shows are still scheduled out as far as the guide goes. I don't see a full factory reset (does it exist and if so does it clear recordings also--I do have an EHD attached).

I chatted with Dish Tech. They couldn't find a similar "hit". His "solution" was "there are some issues that should be corrected in the next software release--is there anything else I can help you with". Wasn't too happy with that response.

Has anyone encountered this issue with a timer that doesn't appear in the timer list? Any ideas on how to delete them since the only way I can see are the delete option when a timer is selected and the edit action delete--neither can be used if the timer isn't in the list? They are working okay for now but will eventually need to be changed or deleted.

Jud in Texas

Pete38

Sep 8, 2003
Hello Jud,

I can confirm this issue as I am experiencing exactly the same scenario.

I upgraded from a 622 to a HWS less than a week ago. I was learning the new interface and playing around with timers and folders. I deleted a folder that several timers were pointing to. Now those timers are recording the shows but are putting them into the “No Folder,” and those timers do not appear in the timer list.

Individual shows for these timers show up in the Program List, however. If I attempt to Edit Timer it displays as you described. If I hit Save it seems to go brain dead until I exit out.

I would like to be able to edit these timers to point them to an existing folder, or to delete and recreate them. I am not able to do either. It seems that they will be there forever. This appears to be a bug. If so, I hope that the engineers at Dish will be able to correct this in a future update.

Pete

JudH

Jan 5, 2006
Millsap, TX
I managed to get rid of two of mine by selecting the flagged show IN THE GUIDE instead of the schedule. One of the options there is "delete series timer" and yea, it worked. However the other 5 no longer are showing scheduled but are still taking up slots--guess they are going to be there until a real fix.

Jud

brodrick

Active SatelliteGuys Member
May 2, 2006
I have the same issue. When I opened up my timer list, the first one showing was number 7. 1 through 6 are missing, but still recording shows. If I attempt to edit the timer through the guide, it shows "Invalid" on the location, and timer type etc. I can't change the priority, and it won't let me save anything.
I too deleted some folder names, due to another problem with them. Folder names don't show up after being created.

Last edited:

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
What if you were to go back to custom folders and create a folder with the same name as before, that the timer is expecting to find? Would you then be able to manage/see that timer?

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2006
I just want to add regarding Timers: I was unable to MOVE my timers priority for about THREE DAYS. It just wouldn't work. Also, in Daily Schedule, when I press to SKIP a showing, it still shows on the screen with no change, but if I scroll up or down, and then back to that timer that would not delete, the timer is STILL there, but with the note: Skipped By User. I think they need to fix the timers and Daily Schedule bugs.

Pete38

Sep 8, 2003
Hi Jud,

Thanks for the tip. I was able to get rid of all my "missing" timers using the Guide as you described. I had to go out to new episodes as skipped timers did not give me the "Delete Series Timer" option.

dare2be: Creating a new folder with the same name does not fix this issue. I tried that and the timers still were missing in action. It seems like Dish is using a unique identifier that is something besides the folder name.

Pete

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
Oh well, it was worth a shot, and worth knowing that it won't work for others.

JudH

Jan 5, 2006
Millsap, TX
FYI. Hopper just updated to S503 NDLB. The missing timers reappeared and I was able to delete them. The problem with using EDIT ACTION PRIORITY with timers over 31 appears to be fixed also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts