Timers

Anything HD that I've recorded to the TV2 tuner is SD on TV1 when I attempt to play it back. Two bad experiences with TV2 and I no longer attempt to record any HD programming to it.
You must have something setup wrong. I record most of my programming on TV2, and all the shows I've played back on TV1 are in HD (if the channel itself is in HD of course).

If you have the 722k receiver, you can record two satellite locals and two antenna locals at the same time

I've got a VIP 722 (not the "K" model) and am only able to record 2 channels at the same time. It doesn't seem to matter whether they're satellite feed or OTA. I'm using the receiver in single mode. Seems that I read somewhere that I should be able to record 3 programs. Is that in error or am I doing something wrong?

Anybody else having problems setting up a recurring timer of an OTA show? I can set it up for one night, but it won't let me set it up to record new episodes.

I'm having this exact problem. 722; single mode; Western Arc w/61.5 wing dish; Cleveland DMA.

Cleveland HD locals are on 61.5 sat- eastern arc and it shows on the echostar knowledge base. So there is no duplication of the locals on 129 sat like my city; Beaumont,Tx locals. That duplication on both 61.5 and 129 sats was clearly causing my ota timers to not work with name based recording , so I removed the 129 side sat from my eastern arc configuration. I wonder if you switched to eastern arc 1000.4 sat dish if that would change your timers so they work again?

I'm having this exact problem. 722; single mode; Western Arc w/61.5 wing dish; Cleveland DMA.

Count me as well. 722 in single mode, St. Louis DMA. The timers look normal when you first set them up, but after awhile all upcoming episodes disappear from the record list. The only OTA channel with a working timer is PBS. I've deleted and recreated the timers a few times with the exact same result.

The timers function normally for all SAT locals on 129. Very annoying!

Ditto on this.. Noticed this last night when my shows that were playing on CBS didn't record! I have the 1000.2 and and wing dish pointed at 61.5. Never happened before but they added WWMT last week and it went on 61.5 and 129 so I guess its time to climb on the roof and block out 61.5 so the dang thing works correctly!

I just remembered something.

My SAT HD locals were moved from 118.7 to 129 at the end of May. A few weeks later as I was catching-up with my backlog of recorded show, I noticed I was missing a few season finales of network shows, like Law and Order that should have recorded OTA.

Coincidence? I think not!

Same for me!!!

Anybody else having problems setting up a recurring timer of an OTA show? I can set it up for one night, but it won't let me set it up to record new episodes.

I have this problem as well, vip 622 single mode, Mobile, AL DMA, Western arc setup with a 61.5 wing dish. OTA timer will not stay set from day to day. :confused:

I also have the 622 and have western arc with 61.5 on wing dish. It will setup for 1 recording, but when I try to set it up to record new episodes it doesn't see any more instances of the program. The timer goes blank. This happens on any OTA channel. I have also deleted the times and reset them and still the same thing happens.

I said it before . IF you have your HD locals on duplicate sats(61.5/129) or triple sats( 61.5/118/129) you will have to take the redundant sats out of your check switch matrix to fix it. IF you have western arc -stay with those sats. If you have eastern arch -stay with those sats. Don't mix the different sats from different arcs, unless your HD locals are only on one sat. Having your hd locals off of more than one sat in the same check switch matrix will cause your receiver confusion and you will have the timer problems: You can only set manual vcr timers and no name based recording on your ota timers. Only use one sat for hd national channels , either 61.5 or 129 preferably the one with your hd locals on your sat dish: 1000.2 or 1000.4 dishes. Another sat guys member from St.Louis and I figured this out last weekend . My locals from Beaumont ,Tx are off of 129 /61.5 and I had an eastern arc 1000.4 sat dish and a wing for 129. I unplugged the 129 sat, reran the check switch and my ota timers all starting working again, with name based recording. The guy from St.Louis had his Hd locals off of 3 sats and had the international dish or 1000 plus sat dish for 118/119/110/129 and he had 61.5 in his matrix as well. He had to eliminate two of the sats ( 61.5 and 118)to get his ota timers to work again.

our hd locals are on 61.5 though and it worked last year after they installed the wing dish and it worked just recently as well. since the new season has started is when the problems started.

<snip>... Another sat guys member from St.Louis and I figured this out last weekend . My locals from Beaumont ,Tx are off of 129 /61.5 and I had an eastern arc 1000.4 sat dish and a wing for 129. I unplugged the 129 sat, reran the check switch and my ota timers all starting working again, with name based recording. The guy from St.Louis had his Hd locals off of 3 sats and had the international dish or 1000 plus sat dish for 118/119/110/129 and he had 61.5 in his matrix as well. He had to eliminate two of the sats ( 61.5 and 118)to get his ota timers to work again.

Thanks for the tip MikeD! I don't have a wing dish, and until I read this I had just assumed that the St. Louis HD locals were eliminated from 118.7 CONUS when they put them on the 129 spotbeam. I should have checked The List. :eek: Seems odd to have them on 3 sats.

-OD

Thanks for the tip MikeD! I don't have a wing dish, and until I read this I had just assumed that the St. Louis HD locals were eliminated from 118.7 CONUS when they put them on the 129 spotbeam. I should have checked The List. :eek: Seems odd to have them on 3 sats.

-OD

You're welcome. Spread the word on the hd locals so everyone can fix their ota timers. Check the The Echostar Knowledge Base website and you can see where your Hd locals come off of.

I'm in a market where the locals only come from 129 which as we know is western arc.

So anyone with an eastern arc installation due to line of sight problems with western arc is basically not going to get locals?

... You can only set manual vcr timers and no name based recording on your ota timers. ... I unplugged the 129 sat, reran the check switch and my ota timers all starting working again, with name based recording...

Please forgive me. I know this is a little off topic, but what is "name based recording"? I take it that the 722k allows this. I'm still quite new to Dish.
Thank you,
Ghpr13:)

so if we eliminate one of the sat's like 61.5 does that mean we can no longer hook it back up?
since I have the mulit sports package I would still like to get the sports channels that are on 61.5.
or once we hook it back up we are going to lose the ability to schedule recurring OTA shows?

You must have something setup wrong. I record most of my programming on TV2, and all the shows I've played back on TV1 are in HD (if the channel itself is in HD of course).

So I spent some time yesterday checking and testing everything on my 722's setup. I've been in Dual Mode since day one (late August '09) and originally my Record Plus was set to default to TV2, which is actually just the coax feed input to my DVD recorder. It was that setup that recorded two HD programs on the TV2 default and when played back on TV1 (my main HDTV), they were in SD. After that unfortunate event, I changed Record Plus to TV1 and never attempted to record to TV2 again, until yesterday.

Yesterday I went through the menu on TV1 and TV2 and checked all of the settings. Everything was as I and the manual thought it should be, so no changes were needed or made at that point. I then tried recording a couple of on-going HD programs, designating one to go to TV2 and the other to TV1. That worked and both came out HD.

I then scheduled a couple of one-time timers for a couple of short, afternoon HD programs and the software assigned the first to TV1 and the second to TV2. That also worked and both came out HD.

I then reset Record Plus to default to TV2, as it had been originally set. I again scheduled a couple of one-time timers for short, afternoon HD programs and the software assigned the first to TV2 and the second to TV1, as it should have done. Again, it worked and both came out HD.

So I setup my Thursday night timers for the shows I really wanted to record for later viewing. The software assigned the recordings to TV2 and where there were overlap conflicts between satellite channels, the software assigned the second timer to TV1. I checked this morning and everything was in HD.

So yes, now I can record 2 satellite HD programs and one OTA HD program simultaneously and watch a pre-recorded HD DVR event at the same time on my 722.

All I can come up with as a reason for the first time failure to record in HD on TV2 is that my setup was very new and seemingly still getting a lot of downloads from Dish every night, as well has now having been soft and hard rebooted several times. Maybe in the initial setup there were software glitches that were subsequently corrected by a download or by one of my reboots. Whatever, it now works as others have said it is supposed to and my wife appreciates the additional flexibility since she tends to go over to Starz or Cinemax to watch movies right while some prime-time evening drama series is being recorded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts