Timetable for Software Fix?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Happy Camper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Central Texas
Has anyone been told by a 'reliable source' if D* and TiVo have a timetable for software patches fixing all the glitches with Version 6 on the HR10-250s?

D* knows they have several problems, including audio dropouts, and they are saying there will be a software fix, but I missed anyone saying when, or 'estimating' when? If anyone knows?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The HR20-250 is being replaced by the HR20. I'd be very surprised if you get much in the way of bug fixes or other firmware patches from here on. It just doesn't make much financial sense when they'd really like to replace those boxes with HR20's.

I'm going to ignore the customer-desires issues for now. Consider this:

Every bug fix has to be:
- diagnosed,
- a fix designed and coded,
- thoroughly tested,
- packaged for delivery and re-tested,
- documented,
- CSR's, and L2 support must be educated to support it

Plus, each fix introduces an element of risk that the fix itself may introduce another bug observed in some number of systems. There are infinite variables that come into play for installed systems and environmental variants; not everything can be tested or guaranteed. That's just the nature of software.

All of that means a big financial cost, just to supply the fix. In many ways it's less expensive to give you newer equipment, even at a loss.

Finally, the DVR fee. With your HR10, TiVO gets a share of that and D* pockets the change; with the HR20, D* pockets the whole recurring fee, every month you pay it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)