TimeTrax Recast v1.4 Blue Screen on Timer Recording

Derek,

I installed the Creative Sound Blaster LIVE 24-bit card. Disabled audio on MB from BIOS. Closed down about 10 tiny apps that run all the time (with no conflicts).
BSOD just like the other times, with the same errors. Unit dumps memory.

Derek,

I tried the Audigy 4 at your suggestion, and I still got the BSOD after about 2 hrs! Its having a problem with the ftser2k.sys driver. Any suggestions now? I guess I can return the Audigy 4 card to BB and get a SB Live Card, but this is really becoming too much work for a piece of software!

jolivo said:
Derek,
I tried the Audigy 4 at your suggestion, and I still got the BSOD after about 2 hrs! Its having a problem with the ftser2k.sys driver. Any suggestions now? I guess I can return the Audigy 4 card to BB and get a SB Live Card, but this is really becoming too much work for a piece of software!

Out of curiosity, are you using any other USB devices? if so, which ones, and are any of them similiar type of USB to Serial adapter converters - (like Palm or PPC devices?)

my usb connection are for 2 printers, 1 scanner,1 logitech 4000 camera (i uninstalled it's micrphone drivers),external hard drives. Nothing audio and no palm adapters/cradles).

On a side note, I installed the beta on a newly imaged laptop with Griffin's IMIC usb device for line input. That unit has been working recording various stuff since 3:40 PM Jan 7th. That makes me happy, but I didn't buy this unit to have to run it on a dedicated machine and a laptop ain't made to stay on all the time.

PhuckNut said:
Out of curiosity, are you using any other USB devices? if so, which ones, and are any of them similiar type of USB to Serial adapter converters - (like Palm or PPC devices?)
It is my old machine that my wife uses now (of course, TT also does not work on laptops, which I now currently use!). It has USB connections for a printer, a couple of ipods, a digital camera, things like that. No Palm devises currently, although Palm synch software is installed from when I used the machine.

I went to the Future Technology website you mentioned yesterday to see if I could find an update for the ftser2k driver, but couldn't find that listed.

Jim

When you are installing the new sound cards are you deleting the old hardware drivers and software from the PC?

If it is running stable on the LapTop that should tell you that TimeTrax does run stable. It just needs a good infrastructure to do so.

Any chance you can do a format of the OS and re-install of that PC you want to run TimeTrax on?

Perhaps there is too much legacy drivers / software on that PC that have become corrupt over time causing the issue.

Windows isn't the friendliest OS when it comes to leaving remnants behind.

D.

Derek, not sure if you were responding to me or not. If it was me, I'm sorry, you misunderstood me. I said that I did not have TT running on a laptop, because most laptops I know (including the brand-new Dell Inspiron I just bought) do not have line-in jacks!

I have disabled all the old drivers and sound cards. I will not, however, re-install XP in a machine that works perfectly well with dozens of other sound applications, including many from Apple.

Jim

i disabled the mb sound card from the bios and removed all old audio drivers and apps. Like the other user, i won't reinstall xp on this machine that has been working 100% with all other application. I'm running TT on a old celron vaio laptop with 384k memory (max it can take) and no other apps. cpu usage when recording is always between 40% and 100%.

I respect your decisions... I was just trying to offer some ideas.

We are trying to figure out what the situation is. For the handful of people here on the forums and in the support system we truly have hundreds of users who do not have any issues at all in running our software and hardware.

I know it isn't credable to say since I work for the company, but, I run TimeTrax on three separate PCs at home with zero problems.

I will admit that these are all stand-alone machines that all they do is run TimeTrax.... So the only thing loaded on them is an OS (Windows XP Pro), AVG Anti-Virus and TimeTrax (they exact same version you all are running 1.4)

One runs XM Online, One Runs Sirius, and One Runs XM with hardware.

They are nothing special as far as specs go.

All are PIII machines (500Mhz, 866Mhz, and 700Mhz) with no more than 512M and single 120G IDE hard drives.

I do run a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Value in each one for recording as I have never liked using the on-board sound cards as the drivers and quality of them are usually crap.

These machines run 24/7 in record mode and in timer scheduler mode.....

I have never had a crash, reboot, BSOD, or anything.

The only time they get rebooted is when Micro$oft sends out an update and I need to reboot.

I know this doesn't help you, and you could probably care less that I am up and running yet you are not.... the important thing to point out is that what we have to offer does work and does not always present itself with the issues you are comiing up with.

The reality is that everyone's PC is different and it is exteremely difficult pin-pointing issues like these when there are so many variables involved.

I wish there was a magic answer....

We are going to keep working on this..... We don't like to have users with issues.

Derek

TimeTrax Staff,

Since I've disabled Hyper Threading of the CPU on my Dell Pentium IV machine with a Dell Audigy 2 sound card; not one BSOD. TT is now reliable.
Derek stated that the standalone machines that he has running TT on are PIII machines. Do you have any newer machines with a Creative Labs soundcard, HT enabled, and TT installed?
A search on the Internet of BSOD & Hyper Threading report as many issues as Dell Audigy sound cards. Check out Microsoft KB327809 for instance.
I've seen other user's that have reported BSOD issues that don’t have Dell systems. Not sure if all the reported issues were using Creative sound cards or are Intel based.
Please note that my system never once experienced a BSOD in three years, running a wide range of different software, until TT was installed.

This is fantastic feedback.

I am going to send this information to the proper channels in TimeTrax.

I thank you very much for doing this testing for us.....

This is the constructive feedback that we appreciate!

Derek

jkavros said:
TimeTrax Staff,
Since I've disabled Hyper Threading of the CPU on my Dell Pentium IV machine with a Dell Audigy 2 sound card; not one BSOD. TT is now reliable.
Derek stated that the standalone machines that he has running TT on are PIII machines. Do you have any newer machines with a Creative Labs soundcard, HT enabled, and TT installed?
A search on the Internet of BSOD & Hyper Threading report as many issues as Dell Audigy sound cards. Check out Microsoft KB327809 for instance.
I've seen other user's that have reported BSOD issues that don’t have Dell systems. Not sure if all the reported issues were using Creative sound cards or are Intel based.
Please note that my system never once experienced a BSOD in three years, running a wide range of different software, until TT was installed.

If I may ask, which BSOD message were you getting? Was it a conflict with the ftser2k driver? I was getting an sound card error, until I switched sound cards, but I'm still getting this one. I am going to return TT if I don't get this fixed, but am willing to try anything. Can you tell me how to diable HyperThreading?

jolivo said:
If I may ask, which BSOD message were you getting? Was it a conflict with the ftser2k driver? I was getting an sound card error, until I switched sound cards, but I'm still getting this one. I am going to return TT if I don't get this fixed, but am willing to try anything. Can you tell me how to diable HyperThreading?

You disable HyperThreading in the BIOS of computer. You might need to check the manual for your particular PC or MotherBoard, but you normally get into the BIOS when the computer first starts up (usually counting memory or showing drives being detected) you most commonly use the DEL key to getinto the BIOS but on DELLs and other computers you might hit F2 or F12 for that set up.

In the BIOS, the HyperThreading option is usually in the CPU or PROCESSOR settings page. It should be as easy as an item that states HyperThreading (enabled or disabled)

In this thread here on this forum, this person talks about forcing Windows XP to only use 1 CPU, but I am not sure if this disables HyperThreading or not:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=52290

I would stick to the BIOS change myself.

PhuckNut said:
You disable HyperThreading in the BIOS of computer. You might need to check the manual for your particular PC or MotherBoard, but you normally get into the BIOS when the computer first starts up (usually counting memory or showing drives being detected) you most commonly use the DEL key to getinto the BIOS but on DELLs and other computers you might hit F2 or F12 for that set up.
In the BIOS, the HyperThreading option is usually in the CPU or PROCESSOR settings page. It should be as easy as an item that states HyperThreading (enabled or disabled)
In this thread here on this forum, this person talks about forcing Windows XP to only use 1 CPU, but I am not sure if this disables HyperThreading or not:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=52290
I would stick to the BIOS change myself.
Thanks - I disabled HyperThreading and haven't had a BSOD yet. Of course, with the Internet outages over the weekend in the NY area and the ridiculous inability of TT to work w/o Internet access, I've only been able to try it out a few times, but so far so good. Thanks for the help.

Be sure to download the latest version.

One of the things it does is help for those with Internet Connectivity issues.

Derek

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)