Tip for newbies

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
I noticed the link to this in the faq a while back but didn't pay close attention til last night:
http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html

I have a Pansat 3500sd. There's quite a few channels listed on there that a plain ol blind scan did not pick up for me on the first go round.

After looking closely at the list, I noticed several channels that my receiver was not seeing, like pentagon channel, newspath, some educational channels, and several other things that weren't showing up, I maually edited tps on a few satellites, entering the mhz and sr and h/v option and then blind scanned the new tps entered. Sure enough, new channels showed up. If you are new to this, there could be stuff you are missing out on. Pay close attention to what channels you get on each bird and compare it to lists like the one at the link above to make sure you got all that's suppossed to be there!

Also, I've discovered that randomly blind scanning some birds can bring in some stuff that isn't on lists like that if you get lucky and find a channel that they forgot to encrypt. I think I had OLN on one of the echostars a while back - dissappeard since that time. BRDGS showed up on another...

Never know what you'll find blind scanning randomly now and then, especially if you know tps to look at.

other than lyngsat

is there any massive list of ALL the tps on all the satellites out there? I know more tps add more time to the scans, but not a whole heck of a lot more time... might make blind scans more successful in finding feeds if you know for sure there's a tp up there and the receiver is actually looking at it for a signal.

Mike Kohl's site has the transponders up there 24/7 for both C & KU

www.global-cm.net

the problem is feeds come and go and change constantly. There may be 10 people using one frequency but different symbol rates off and on.cant keep up :)

been fiddling with news feed tps on amc5...

What I did basically was print out Lyngsat page, went to edit tps in pansat 3500, and manually loaded each and every tp/sr combo on the lyngsat page. Took a while, but not too long.

Doing a blind scan with this all loaded took a long while - started it and went to bed

:)

Anyways, fiddled around this morning a little - if you go in to tp scan, you have a signal meter on each tp. Then if you see a signal on any one tp you can just scan that one tp and it'll all go a lot faster. Yes, I know this is mostly a waist of time since most of the feeds are just news reporters standing in fields, in front of government buildings and junk like that... but what this is doing is giving the receiver the ability to see all the tps out there, whether there's a signal or not.

Now comes a question - if there happens to be a signal, you scan the tp, get a channel (even if it's just junk stuff), will the receiver tie that one tp/sr to that channel for good... so would it, for instance pull in any future signals on the same tp/sr combo that's being sent on that frequency? I'm guessing so. If I'm wrong, let me know... if I'm right, basically what this could do is open up all the srs as channels, slowly, as you find new signals here and there on various tps over time.

I know this all isn't probably the "smartest" of things to do, but it's fun to play with, and see the "off air" personalities of the newscasters.

Are these new feeds tps ever used for other purposes other than the occasional newscaster in front of a grain bin type stuff? I'm asking because I heard/read somewhere ("urban legend"?) that sometimes primetime tv gets sent to affiliates through some of these sort of tps days or weeks ahead of when they are really scheduled to be on air. Is this true?

Does opening up as many tps as channels as possible give access to that sort of thing (if it really does happen?)

I think I've pulled in almost all of the "normal" fta channels that I'm going to get, so as long as I don't sort channels, I'll keep this geeky news feed stuff to the back channels for now.

I am glad that I started playing with all of it because I found IA8 the right way... earlier I just changed the name of one of the cband presets in the pansat - which obviously didn't do much til I actually put a live ku tp on there... doh.

Anyways, what do you think about opening these random tps as channels idea? Is there some hidden jewels in there somewhere? I think the pansat can hold several thousand channels so I figure it's at least worth fiddling with a little since I only have about 60-90 channels in there now (deleted out all the foriegn language, scrambled, and junk dishnet logo channels)...

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)