Tipping The Installer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gcrantstl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Well, I am having an installer out tomorrow to try and install a 5-lnb slimline. This is the third guy in a month. I've already got the equipment now, all I need is the pro to set it up. I'm thinking of giving the guy a little tip if he can get me hooked up. Is that ok, or should I not even bring it up? I figured if I let him in on it, he may go the extra mile to make sure I am up and running. What do you guys think?

TIPS acronym for To Insure Proper Service ... throwing the installer a $20 can't hurt (unless you can't afford it) and will usually improve their attitude

That is what I was thinking, extra money for him....finally getting D* hooked up for me. Everybodies happy. One way or the other, I gotta get something installed so I can get away from Charter Comm.. Biggest mistake ever leaving D* to go back to Charter. Directv is giving me a $100 credit for all the problems, so I could drop $50 to the installer and call it a day. First months bill can go to the tech for getting me installed.

I think I'll offer that to him, just tell him he can have what I would have paid for the first month if he can get me installed. I'd take that deal if I did installations. Knowing my luck, he'll look at me like I'm an idiot and I still won't get things in working order. Well, here is to hoping that by this time tomorrow I'll be a happy re-activated D* customer. *crosses-fingers*

I tipped my guy at the end because he took his time, worked with me, and installed everything properly. I've never been a fan of tipping up front and hoping it makes a difference. IMHO, a tip is a display of my appreciation of services performed...not a bribe to obtain better service than normal.

IMHO, a tip is a display of my appreciation of services performed...not a bribe to obtain better service than normal.
I couldn't agree more. I tipped my installer $20 even though I had already done all of the inside work prior to his arriving. He did an excellent job, and there's no better way to show appreciation for a job well done.

I've tipped all but one guy - that one was here to install a R-15 upstairs and tried to hold me up for $90 to install a double run to the unit. I told him to leave me the cable and the box, and I pulled the cable myself by attaching it to the existing single wire. Called D* to complain and they credited my account for $100. All the rest of the installers got $20 from me, for the most part they have all been prompt, neat and knowledgeable about their work.

I've tipped all but one guy - that one was here to install a R-15 upstairs and tried to hold me up for $90 to install a double run to the unit. I told him to leave me the cable and the box, and I pulled the cable myself by attaching it to the existing single wire. Called D* to complain and they credited my account for $100. All the rest of the installers got $20 from me, for the most part they have all been prompt, neat and knowledgeable about their work.
Several years ago when former neighbor was having their service installed, I watched as the installer took a leak by the side of their house. I hope they didn't give him a tip.

I was gonna just give him $20 when he was done. I figured why should I bribe him to do his job. It didn't matter anyway, he came out and said he didn't have a 40ft. ladder as they don't use them on Sunday or Monday and setup an appointment tomorrow from 8-12pm. This has been more hassle than I could ever imagine. I just want Directv, why is it so hard. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)