Tips for retention at end of contract term

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Roach

Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
United States
Im 19 months into the 24 months and trying to get the best 'deal'. I talked to retentions and offered a few discounts for 12mo, and 15mo, etc. Havent pushed the thing on the new HR44 yet (since I know DTV cant guarantee HR34vsHR44) but anyhow was just hoping for some tips to maximize the deal, things I can say, or should ask for

Thanks guys!

its a crap shoot honestly. Most of the time Directv will make you pay for the Genie but then offset it with credits on programming

They will offer you quite a bit most likely at the end of your contract to retain you as a customer, especially if you mention that the price is going up too much. A friend of mine was just in the same situation as you, his contract was coming to an end and he was worried about the prices going up. They offered him the following things: $25 off for 12 months. Another $10 off for 6 months (DVR service). They also gave him a FREE upgrade to the Genie, which he ended up getting the HR44. He had an HR24 previously. They also gave him the NFL Sunday Ticket at no charge for this year. He was pretty happy, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get something similar. All he had was the Choice Xtra Classic with just one receiver.

Im 19 months into the 24 months and trying to get the best 'deal'. I talked to retentions and offered a few discounts for 12mo, and 15mo, etc. Havent pushed the thing on the new HR44 yet (since I know DTV cant guarantee HR34vsHR44) but anyhow was just hoping for some tips to maximize the deal, things I can say, or should ask for

Thanks guys!

I really think its what direction directs focus is towards customer
service at that specific time.

Ive been with them since 1997..Ive seen the customer
service pendulum swing back and forth depending upon
where they are with subs.

I almost left them last month. Out of contract
and less than stellar customer service.
They finally did something for me to stay.
But really nothing worth speaking of.

I was out of contract and wanted to upgrade to the HR44.
No discount nada. Not until I finally went through
with shutting down service did i get a break.

No free upgrade..100 off an HR 44 which
I paid 375 at solid signal for.
I probably should have stayed gone and returned
when they really wanted me back.

Its all good though...I do love my sports packages.
Plus with my dad turing 87 this August, not
sure how many more sundays we will watch our
beloved/wretched Ny Jets...

I really think its what direction directs focus is towards customer
service at that specific time.

Ive been with them since 1997..Ive seen the customer
service pendulum swing back and forth depending upon
where they are with subs.

I almost left them last month. Out of contract
and less than stellar customer service.
They finally did something for me to stay.
But really nothing worth speaking of.

I was out of contract and wanted to upgrade to the HR44.
No discount nada. Not until I finally went through
with shutting down service did i get a break.

No free upgrade..100 off an HR 44 which
I paid 375 at solid signal for.
I probably should have stayed gone and returned
when they really wanted me back.

Its all good though...I do love my sports packages.
Plus with my dad turing 87 this August, not
sure how many more sundays we will watch our
beloved/wretched Ny Jets...

So you bought your 44 and then you called in and negotiated ?

They gave you a $100 worth of programming credits ?

So you bought your 44 and then you called in and negotiated ?

They gave you a $100 worth of programming credits ?

Nope Jimbo,

Office of president called me last day
before service went off.
They said if you upgrade we can give you
150 credit. But they would not guarantee a 44
only 34.
I said since you have pull could you get one from another
market and send it to me? Nope they could not would not do that.

So I asked if I could still get the 150 if I purchased from Solid
signal. The rep said call back when you get it. I did a week later.
Then same rep said they could only do 100 because i did not get upgrade
through direc? Even though unit automatically becomes theirs.

I took the deal. In hind site Jimbo I
moved to quickly. I was again, really not treated well.
But I do love the service so I surrendered..

I really don't like their customer service these days..
Just don't feel valued....

Last edited:
Nope Jimbo,

Office of president called me last day
before service went off.
They said if you upgrade we can give you
150 credit. But they would not guarantee a 44
only 34.
I said since you have pull could you get one from another
market and send it to me? Nope they could not would not do that.

So I asked if I could still get the 150 if I purchased from Solid
signal. The rep said call back when you get it. I did a week later.
Then same rep said they could only do 100 because i did not get upgrade
through direc? Even though unit automatically becomes theirs.

Thoroughly disgusted I took the deal. In hind site Jimbo I
moved to quickly. I was again, really not treated well.
But I do love the service so I surrendered..

I really don't like their customer service these days..
Just don't feel valued....

I have done the same as you as far as getting units from SS and then have thier credits reduced.

I haven't had a reason to call them for service in quite some time, so I can't say one way or the other about service of late in my experience.

Difference being, I probably wouldn't pull the trigger and leave, I'd probably work out the best deal I could ... at the time, I too enjoy the Sports and the ST. too much to leave.

I have done the same as you as far as getting units from SS and then have thier credits reduced.

I haven't had a reason to call them for service in quite some time, so I can't say one way or the other about service of late in my experience.

Difference being, I probably wouldn't pull the trigger and leave, I'd probably work out the best deal I could ... at the time, I too enjoy the Sports and the ST. too much to leave.

Yea, good experience with Solid Signal.

Funny, after all of this, i really don't see
a difference with the HR44 from my HR24
More tuners, some other nice additions
and size. Speed for me is exactly the same.

I see people going nuts over the HR44?
I just don't see what all the fuss is about?

My wife says Im married to direc because I love the
sports so much..

I guess she's right. Just wish they treated me like dish does..

The "only" good deals are for new customers.

I've preached the quire on this in the past but it always falls on deaf ears.

Switching providers & riding out the new customer promos "is" the best way to save money..................

Yea, good experience with Solid Signal.

Funny, after all of this, i really don't see
a difference with the HR44 from my HR24
More tuners, some other nice additions
and size. Speed for me is exactly the same.

I see people going nuts over the HR44?
I just don't see what all the fuss is about?

My wife says Im married to direc because I love the
sports so much..

I guess she's right. Just wish they treated me like dish does..

Well, I really don't have a need for either the 34 or 44, but thought, if the speed was significant, I might upgrade to one... if not I'll stay put. The rest is nice, but nothing I can't live without .

I've been trying to catch up with one of these D* guys in Best Buy or Costco and see if they have the new remote that I could play with, but I saw over the weekend that the Costco guy had a 34 on display, not a 44, even though he said that the 44s were the ones going out ... I don't believe any of the Store front guys, they are there strictly to make sales. Period.

The "only" good deals are for new customers.

I've preached the quire on this in the past but it always falls on deaf ears.

Switching providers & riding out the new customer promos "is" the best way to save money..................

Your probably right.
It seems they only care when your gone.

Wonder why Direc doesn't get it's better to
Retain then lose long standing subs.

Funny I only recently found out that my HD for life with Direc ran out months ago. Even though
I have auto pay going since promo.

What a scam. Lol.

When I called and talk to CSR they couldn't or wouldn't would be the better term for not giving me any discount on a Genie upgrade, but they did gave me bill credits though, even escalating to their supervisor didn't work, and I hung up and tried retention using cancel prompt, which I honestly thought I will not work, when they answered I made sure I was speaking with retention before going any further, and confirmed that it was then I said I will cancel service because upgrading to Genie was too much, you'll be surprised what they'll do to retain you as a customer when you say those words that no rep wants to hear, Not everybody will get the answer they were looking for or get free upgrades, but it never hurts to try, I thought it was a crapshoot and never had even tried in calling retention reps since sometimes I never get through and end up getting front-end CSR's for which I always get the same answer (Regular Price)
Or maybe it was coincidence that I called at the right moment they want to exhaust all the HR34's for the 44's, but in my market all the Genie installs are for the 44's.

Unfortunately customer service is going by the wayside in most businesses anymore. When there aren't many options for some services, being a long time loyal customer really doesn't mean anything like it used to.

When I called and talk to CSR they couldn't or wouldn't would be the better term for not giving me any discount on a Genie upgrade, but they did gave me bill credits though, even escalating to their supervisor didn't work, and I hung up and tried retention using cancel prompt, which I honestly thought I will not work, when they answered I made sure I was speaking with retention before going any further, and confirmed that it was then I said I will cancel service because upgrading to Genie was too much, you'll be surprised what they'll do to retain you as a customer when you say those words that no rep wants to hear, Not everybody will get the answer they were looking for or get free upgrades, but it never hurts to try, I thought it was a crapshoot and never had even tried in calling retention reps since sometimes I never get through and end up getting front-end CSR's for which I always get the same answer (Regular Price)
Or maybe it was coincidence that I called at the right moment they want to exhaust all the HR34's for the 44's, but in my market all the Genie installs are for the 44's.
Oh I did forget to add that I got a free Genie upgrade, in case you've gotten confused on my CSR rant so to speak, which I got the HR44

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)