Tips to keep your windows computer snappy

Symbol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Puerto Rico
Really basic stuff that can do a big difference.
Read!!!
Follow these tips at your own risk, its really simple but theres room for things to go wrong!

just because your computer is a few years old and slow, it doesn't mean you have to throw it away or spend big bucks on software to fix it.

Slow Boot times
When programs are installed theres usually something that says "Start everytime with windows" or something like that, in other cases programs start in the background without you knowing about it.

If your computer takes a while to be ready when you start it up, you may have a few background programs trying to load which causes a slow down.

In windows vista/7 press start and type msconfig, look for the startup tab and remove the check marks from programs that you know about(windows live messenger,skype and stuff you use but don't need running at startup) NEVER un check stuff thats labeled microsoft or don't know its use as it may cause system problems.
(XP users just need to select start, select run and type msconfig there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PePnbCOjCFc&feature=channel_video_title

Check for registry errors and cleanup your hard drive
Ccleaner is great for this, get it free here : CCleaner - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Downloads

get an Anti-Virus
Paid ones are great but if you can't afford one, the best free solution is provided by microsoft and its called Microsoft Security Essentials get it here: Anti-Malware, Virus, Spyware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials

Restore your computer

If your computer is really slow and you want to return its out of the box state then try using the back up discs provided with your computer.

These are just a few common tips for those out there who may need help, I know there are many other things out there that can be done to improve your computers performance.

feel free to give suggestions that can help improve performance

Hope some of you find it useful :D

MSE is not a poor man's antivirus.
It is one of the three best antivirus+antimalware in existence. For all platforms servers included.

Never use recovery disks that came with the PC.
With very few exceptions they are the reason your computer is bloated.

Diogen.

MSE is not a poor man's antivirus.
It is one of the three best antivirus+antimalware in existence. For all platforms servers included.
Diogen.

I have to agree, I see stuff get by them all with none any better than the other.

The fake anti-virus seems to be on an upswing again, I have had 6 systems in the last 2 weeks brought to me with the "fake windows 7 recovery"....

Never meant to diss MSE, Just saying that for those who prefer paid ones but cant afford it should get it in order to save themselves some money.

Heck MSE is installed in my 3 laptops, desktop and gaming rig
Never had a problem until today.

My oldest laptop is a 2006 toshiba satellite(2gb of ram and centrino duo 1.6ghz) and its running like a dream with windows 7 (Had to get rid of vista...)
Just by doing basic maintenance like cleaning up the hard drive and registry every few months helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)