Tired of not getting "local" locals, would like some help!

sportsfan42

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1dda3d56ae2b65
I am wanting to receive my abc, fox, etc. locals to watch certain things on the newscasts etc. I bought an indoor RCA antenna and basically got whatever signal was on top of me so I knew that antenna wasn't going to work. My elevation is around 1300 ft so I 'm guessing that would help me. I returned that antenna and figured I would try an attic antenna just to see what happened. I bought one of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Attic-M...tenna/20976617 and just hooked it up to my tv and "mounted" it on a chair. I was amazed, if you look at my tvfool, I had to repoint the antenna but I was able to receive 10 channels I think it was because 3 of them came in no matter where the antenna was pointed. I was even able to pull in wvir which is listed at 60 miles away. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to possibly pull in some of the dc stations or even hagerstown. Do I need a better antenna? Should I try to use outdoor antennas? I really would like to be able to keep things in the attic but I could mount something outside. I would be happy with getting my harrisonburg and charlottesville channels if I could have some kind of 360 degree antenna. I would be grateful for any help and recommendations. By the way, I have Directv with DC locals.

Last edited:
Link fixed. That antenna actually pulled wvir from 60.5 miles away mounted in my living room. I am really looking for recommendations on an antenna that will do uhf/vhf and 360 degrees. I'm not an expert on this so I thought if I can spend under $100 to at least get what I got with that GE antenna from Walmart without having to mount multiple antennas. Or, do I need two or three antennas to pick up more, I'm for that too, just need some guidance and recommendations.

Your tv fool looks rather fugly honestly. Most of the stations according to the report are too far away from you with most being 60 miles away and DC being over 85 miles away.
Even if you got a huge antenna setup you may not get the stations all the time

I agree with that. Like I said, I could pull WVIR 60 miles away with antenna in my living room but it was in the opposite direction of the WHSV, etc. I would be happy with an antenna recommendation that is motorized or something so I can watch those channels without having to manually point antenna according to what I want to watch.

I agree with Iceberg that is not a good TV fool report. I would try an antenna craft HBU44 aimed about 90 degrees mounted outside. 21/42/46 I would guess are the 3 that came in anyplace the antenna was aimed. The stations at 84/85 magnetic would pretty much fill out your networks. An amplifier might be needed but could overdrive the already strong signals. The HBU44 isn't the best antenna but with mounting hardware should keep you under $100, better antennas would probably run over the $100 just for the antenna.

Last edited:
A deep fringe outdoor mounted antenna w/ pre-amp is what I'd recommend. I read this morning about Channel Master's Masterpiece deep fringe antennas have positive reviews. Also, a motor wouldnt hurt assuming you want to make the investment.

Cheers, K

I agree with Iceberg that is not a good TV fool report. I would try an antenna craft HBU44 aimed about 90 degrees mounted outside. 21/42/46 I would guess are the 3 that came in anyplace the antenna was aimed. The stations at 84/85 magnetic would pretty much fill out your networks. An amplifier might be needed but could overdrive the already strong signals. The HBU44 isn't the best antenna but with mounting hardware should keep you under $100, better antennas would probably run over the $100 just for the antenna.

I'd actually recommend the HBU55. I had the HBU44 and while it worked great for DX'ing using it for "distant" stations reliably isnt the best. The 55 will help

Those first 3 are really his "locals" which are PBS, Religious and ABC/Fox/ME/My/newschannels

seriously....-1 is ABC
-2 is Fox
-3 looks like its news/weather type channel
-4 is My (main) and Me (2ndary)

There is a CBS/Fox low powered station but he must be too far away from it

I'd actually recommend the HBU55. I had the HBU44 and while it worked great for DX'ing using it for "distant" stations reliably isnt the best. The 55 will help
The HBU55 from Solid Signal would be $91 plus mounting and cable,I was trying to keep the gamble under $100 with rhe greatest chance of success. My personal thoughts are chances of success are slim for reliable reception at 90 miles.

I'm guessing you did not receive WVIR, but actually received W30CT-D, based on that TVFool report. If you can receive W30CT-D, you can probably receive WSVF-LD, which has Fox and CBS in HD and for some reason is not on your TVFool plot. (It's from the same location as W30CT-D, and strength should be similar.) Was WVIR on 29-1 or 30-1?

- Trip

$100 may be out of the question and I understand that. If I can remember, it was 30-1. I'm guessing I don't need anything to reach 100 miles if I can just get the WHSV and WVIR channels on the same antenna.

Also, since I was able to receive both directions of channels, should I just go back and buy 2 of those antennas and combine with a splitter to tv?

the Baltimore and DC locals are too far away for stable reception.

You could spend a lot of money and reap few rewards.

You locals are on low power repeaters less than 20 miles away.

My guess is that everything you care about is on UHF or has a duplicate on UHF so I would say buy a 4 bay bowtie style antenna or build one from one of the free online plans if you are able to do it. The only issue is that W30CT-D NBC translator which is to the south while the majority of your stations are to the northeast. A rotator would be needed or two antennas into a manual switch.

The only distant stations possible are the VHF stations from DC and they would need a large antenna like the Antennacraft Y10-7-13 or Winegard YA-1713. It would be a gamble with no guarantee of consistent reception.

WVPY should be strong enough to receive off the back of the antenna. Aiming a UHF antenna south should be able to provide WHSV, WSVF-CD, and W30CT-D, which will provide a full selection of major networks:

3-1 ABC (HD)
3-2 Fox (SD)
3-3 ABC3 Winchester (SD)
3-4 MeTV / My Network TV (SD)
30-1 NBC (HD)
30-2 Weather (SD)
30-3 CW (HD)
42-1 PBS (HD)
42-2 Create (SD)
42-3 V-Me (SD; Spanish)
43-1 Fox (HD)
43-2 CBS (HD)

- Trip

So does TV Fool have an error where that WSVF digital channel is missing? Antennaweb has it correct but is missing W30CT-D? It looks like both transmitters are on the same mountain.

Yes, TVFool is missing WSVF-LD, but it should look almost identical to W30CT-D in terms of coverage. Both come from Massanutten.

- Trip

Thanks tripinva, so should I just go back and get that GE Antenna from Walmart or a different kind that isn't directional?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)