Status
Please reply by conversation.

Titanium

AI6US
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 23, 2013
Meadow Vista, Northern California
New Titanium Satellite ASC1 public release firmware update file is available for download. This file has been in beta testing for a few weeks with great reports. Thank you all beta firmware testers for your input. There have been no changes to the test version of this file.

Download: [url]www.titaniumsatellite.com/downloads/asc1/Titanium%20ASC1_update_20140227v2.zip
[/URL]
Notice: This file is an update to the factory installed firmware. It is a minor update for housekeeping and STB/Sensor compatibility. Please review the notes before installing.

• Modify - STB DiSEqC 1.2 compatibility update: Increased STB compatibility in motor single step, continuous move, save and GoTo modes.
  • Modify - Count Routine: Adjusted Sensor sampling timing and duration to support additional sensor designs and cycle durations.
  • Modify - Ramping: Shorten Remote motor move ramp-out duration.

Brian, while I'm thinking of it, I've been meaning to ask you, is there an easy way in the ASC1 firmware to make the ASC1 come on when the STB is turned on, off when the STB is turned off? That would be a nice option, It'd make it so my daughter and wife don't even have to use the ASC1 remote at all, so they don't play with it and mess things up. :D

If it's not possible or a real PITA then it wouldn't be hard for me to do it hardware wise, figured I'd ask before i did that though. Thanks!

What is the universal way that the ASC1 will be triggered on/off?

LNB power? Not all STBs shut off the LNB power in standby mode.

22KHz / DiSEqC commands? Not all STBs continue to issue DiSEqC commands once signal is locked.

The ASC1 can't go to sleep and stop sending power to switches, LNBs and stop polarity control just because there is no communication from a STB. The ASC1 is not just moving the actuator like other basic controllers, it could be powering all entire upstream components.

This is why the ASC1 is currently placed in operate, standby or master powered with the ASC1. Open to discussion about this feature, but it might create issues for an average user. Most legacy receivers send power to the LNBs and polorotor at all times. I leave all of my ASC1s in operate at all times and not sure why I would place it in standby.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Last edited:
What is the universal way that the ASC1 will be triggered on/off?

LNB power? Not all STBs shut off the LNB power in standby mode.

22KHz / DiSEqC commands? Not all STBs continue to issue DiSEqC commands once signal is locked.

The ASC1 can't go to sleep and stop sending power to switches, LNBs and stop polarity control just because there is no communication from a STB. The ASC1 is not just moving the actuator like other basic controllers, it could be powering all entire upstream components.

This is why the ASC1 is currently placed in operate, standby or master powered with the ASC1. Open to discussion about this feature, but it might create issues for an average user. Most legacy receivers send power to the LNBs and polorotor at all times. I leave all of my ASC1s in operate at all times and not sure why I would place it in standby.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

I run a lot here off of solar power, so even though I think that the ASC1 doesn't use much power, [haven't put it on my watt meter yet, so I don't know] it's better for me to have it off when it's not being used. I can see and understand though now how on/off with the STB could be a problem with so many different types of receivers. I wasn't thinking in the terms of hundreds of different types of receivers, switches, etc!

My initial thought for myself here was to use the LNB power, but I may do a more direct approach from the micro inside the STB and a simple circuit on the ASC1 front panel power button.

Like I said in my first post, no big deal. Just figured I'd ask before I reinvented the wheel, should be relatively easy for me to do here on my setup. Thanks!

There are some UPS units that have a master on/off; when the main load (computer) is turned off and the load disappears, it switches off the other peripherals to minimize power usage. Maybe one of these would be an option here? Or maybe a power bar with a switch...

The ASC1 has both a standby switch on the front panel and remote. It also has a master power switch on the rear panel.

As most STBs continue to power the LNBF in standby mode, a voltage sensing UPS would not likely be triggered with the minimal change in current draw.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Maybe use the TV as the trigger? Likely too much phantom draw there too though...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)