Tivo and Direct TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChiefT

Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Louisville KY
I read a news release from Tivo a few months ago that they were resuming their relationship with Direct TV. I have Tivo with cable company but would like to switch to satellite. Lack of Tivo is what is holding me back. Can't find anything more about this on Tivo or Direct TV site. Anyone know when this may happen? And when they had it before did it cost more for the Tivo enabled service?

In terms of cost for the service, DirecTV charges $4.99/mo for DVR service, no matter how many you have. For the stand-alone Tivo, you pay $12.95/mo for each unit (at least that what it was when I had it about 5 years ago).

I don't think anyone knows the timing. There are a number of threads here if you search that may give some guesstimates. But DirecTV recently announced they were stopping a lot of projects for financial reasons - I'm not sure if that affected Tivo. If that was announced, I have missed that discussion here.

Do some searching, I know there are a lot of threads.

In terms of cost for the service, DirecTV charges $4.99/mo for DVR service, no matter how many you have. For the stand-alone Tivo, you pay $12.95/mo for each unit (at least that what it was when I had it about 5 years ago).

I don't think anyone knows the timing. There are a number of threads here if you search that may give some guesstimates. But DirecTV recently announced they were stopping a lot of projects for financial reasons - I'm not sure if that affected Tivo. If that was announced, I have missed that discussion here.

Do some searching, I know there are a lot of threads.

The DVR service now costs $5.99 for new customers or for people that make major changes to their account.

I read a news release from Tivo a few months ago that they were resuming their relationship with Direct TV. I have Tivo with cable company but would like to switch to satellite. Lack of Tivo is what is holding me back. Can't find anything more about this on Tivo or Direct TV site. Anyone know when this may happen? And when they had it before did it cost more for the Tivo enabled service?

You can't find any information because it doesn't exist yet. The press release last summer said last half of 2009. Tivo CEO recently stated it was delayed until mid 2010 at the least and Tivo wouldn't even talk about it at CES (a further bad sign). Take that as you will.

You could always pickup a SD Directv Tivo unit from ebay or this sites sponsors.. if you dont want HD. Just make sure you get the RID number verified before you buy it, and expect a $20 access card fee (one time) from D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)