Tivo and Directv Back Together Again

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It took a while, but I actually prefer my HR20 and R15 to my (now deactivated) DirecTivo. I realize I am probably in the minority on this. In any case, this is good news.

You are not alone. I have had a Tivo in my house since 1999 and I prefer the HR20. I had 2 HR10-250's but deactivated one a few weeks ago for an HR20. The remaining Tivo is for the wife. She likes it and isnt crazy about HD so it stays. I think the HR20 has become a very good DVR and is my preference. Thats not too say someone cant build a better one. ;)

You are not alone. I have had a Tivo in my house since 1999 and I prefer the HR20. I had 2 HR10-250's but deactivated one a few weeks ago for an HR20. The remaining Tivo is for the wife. She likes it and isnt crazy about HD so it stays. I think the HR20 has become a very good DVR and is my preference. Thats not too say someone cant build a better one. ;)

You guys are definetly in the minority though. Most people prefer Tivo.

You guys are definetly in the minority though. Most people prefer Tivo.

I know. And I actually prefer the Windows Media Center over the Tivo and HR20. It doesnt do Directv HD so its for kid programming primarily. But if Directv actually came out with those direct capture cards for Vista machines, I would use the Media Center.

I've had the HR20 since May and I prefer it over the Tivo. I like the interface better on the HR20 compared to the Tivo and it's been very reliable for me. It's recorded everything I've asked it to and I've had no issues playing what I recorded.

I like the guide in the Tivo better because of the list you can have on the right of all shows coming on that channel for the next 10 shows or whatever it is.

The Media Center is nice because its the traditional grid but you select the channel on the far left and it opens up the channel full screen schedule.

I know. And I actually prefer the Windows Media Center over the Tivo and HR20.

:up Oh, snap!

I picked up a MCE 2005 Gateway 832GM PC, dual P4 3.0 GHz CPUs, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB SATA HdD, dual optical drives, in the Spring of 06. At first I didn't know what to do with it, but I took a "use it or lose it" approach and added a video card, sound card for optical connection to my amp, and most recently a PCI ATSC tuner card for recording OTA HD.

I issued it the challenge to it, "Justify why I should keep you and not the standalone TiVos", and it responded. For instance, when I set up a Season Pass for the 11PM local news on the local NBC affiliate on the TiVo, it would record that and the repeat broadcast that airs after Carson Daly. The MCE knew that the 11PM news airs @ 11PM only.

Sold the TiVos off and don't miss them one little bit. To my mind, it's an overrated platform and I don't see myself buying another one. Just bring on that DIRECTV Media Center, baby!

There are limitations in the MCE too but there are also some really really awesome features. I also like the recording features where you can specify how many to record in a day and/or if you want the one that is around a certain time or certain channel only. Its a really great and flexible feature that is perfect for kids programming where its on multiple times a day and channels. I figure if you have the money for a PC, it makes a ton of sense to Media Center it and get rid of that $13 per month on standalone Tivos. Look Tivo is great and the best devices but the Media Center is a great option for a free DVR with lots of other advantages.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts