Tivo announces Service on your PC

Welcome to Charter.net - News

New software turns PC into TiVo TV recorder
Monday, September 29, 2008 12:01 AM EDT
The Associated Press
By PETER SVENSSON AP Technology Writer

NEW YORK (AP) — TiVo Inc. and Nero AG of Germany were set to announce Monday that they will be launching a package that turns a Windows PC into a TV recorder, just like a TiVo set-top box.

The kit will cost $199 when it goes on sale Oct. 15, and includes a remote and a TV tuner that plugs into the PC. The interface on the computer screen looks just like the one on a TV equipped with a TiVo box.

It's not the first software that allows TV recording on the PC. That's been possible for years on computers equipped with TV tuners, and some versions of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Vista operating system include the necessary software. But it will be the first time that both the TiVo interface and functions have been replicated on a PC.

The Nero LiquidTV/TiVo PC will go on sale initially in the U.S., Mexico and Canada, but it could open up some markets where TiVo does not yet sell its set-top boxes. Joshua Danovitz, vice president and general manager of international business at TiVo, said the plan is to launch it in Europe next year, including in Nero's home country, Germany. Britain is the only European country where TiVo currently has subscribers.

"It's really part of a global TiVo strategy," Danovitz said.

P.S.

Anyone using either of these devices best invest in some 1TB drives to go along with it and the correct spec'd PC and internals as well.

The retail box will include everything (I would caution this remark) you need to turn your regular PC (or laptop) into a TiVo PC, making an enhanced TV experience possible.

The Retail Box will include:

* a TiVo PC remote
* a TV tuner card (with A/V cable & portable antenna) to allow television signals to be received by the PC
* an IR Blaster (Transceiver with emitter cable) to create an infrared connection between the cable or satellite box and the PC
* Nero LiquidTV™ | TiVo® PC Software Installation Disc
* 12-month subscription to TiVo service
* Nero LiquidTV™ | TiVo® PC QuickStart Guide
* Getting Started pamphlet

It also comes with a one-year subscription to the TiVo service. The product retails in the U.S. for $199.99USD and in Canada for $199.99 CAN.

The price for the ESD version (software only) in the U.S. will be $99.99USD, in Canada at $99.99CAN, and in Mexico at $99.99 USD.

The ESD version will include:

* Nero LiquidTV™ | TiVo® PC software
* 12-month subscription to TiVo service
* Online access to Nero LiquidTV™ | TiVo® PC, QuickStart Guide, FAQs, eTutorials, as well as access to Flash demo

The only reason I'd consider it would be if it will interact with my other Tivos 'as a Tivo' vs a PC running Tivo Desktop, which it may very well be capable.

Paying a monthly fee for it kind of puts a damper on any enthusiasm I had for this product.

I too think the fees vs what is offered are off base; especially for those that already have existing set-top subscriptions. I also believe these types of things are always directed at those users that just aren't aware that something nearly 99.9% the same (minus the name branding) AND FREE, is likely out there via a small amount of leg work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts