Tivo Conversion

Choochie

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2004
Indpls, In.
Newbie here with an moded Tivo with twin 160 Gigers.

Whats the best way to intigrate the Tivo with the Voom receiver?

C

Since this is the DirecTV forum I am thinking you must have a DirecTV DVR. If this is the case you can't. Tivo SA units fully support all of the Voom SD programming and as you would expect none of the HD.

slacker9876 said:
Since this is the DirecTV forum I am thinking you must have a DirecTV DVR. If this is the case you can't. Tivo SA units fully support all of the Voom SD programming and as you would expect none of the HD.

Incorrect -

TiVO records all of Voom's HD content just fine.

JEFFinINDY said:
Incorrect -

Not incorrect ... there is not a TiVo on the market that can record HD, except the HD DirecTiVo which only work OTA and with DirecTV :D

I didn't asay it would not record HD content ... I said it would not record HD!

JEFFinINDY said:
Incorrect -

I'm gonna asume that the Tivo is connected through the output of the Voom. If this is the case I am not gaining anything buy doing so, for I have dual LNA's for two Tivo's

And Mr Tivo Guru did the upgrade to 160's for me as well...

Sure the HD programing is ok, DVD quality at best, but as far as the lack of the ability to record programing, Voom has a tad catchin up to do...

I have too many programs that are on at the same time, thus my reason for acquiring the second Tivo...

Help, if thats possible to use the Tivo model SD-DVR40

This model does not have the componet input nor output. So I'm gonna assume one must have the Hi Def Tivo Receiver....

Am I even gettin close?

Frankly, the HD quality of Voom is jus near DVD quality, thus I find it hard to justify the $52.34 for 21 channels in HI Def

Tivo vs. Voom

slacker9876 said:
U assume correctly. But I'm not givin up my Tivo's for Voom just yet...

Granted Voom is a relatively new company, but IMHO they shoulda been ready for the DVR....

GAWD if it counts $50 plus per, what's it gonna be after the DVR is made available to the public...

Choochie said:
Can you explain a tad more? Plug the Tivo in, is not quite enough info

1. Use either an S-Video cable or a composite video (yellow) cable to connect the Voom receiver to the TiVO.
2. Use composite audio (red and white) cables to connect the audio out from the Voom receiver to the TiVO.
3. If you have basic cable or an NTSC antenna line, connect it to the back of the TiVO as well, so you'll be able to have your locals integrated in the TiVO guide.
4. Repeat the guided setup on the TiVO (this is found in the Settings menu). For the input type, select either Satellite, Satellite+Cable, or Satellite+Antenna, depending on how you connected things in step 3. On the next screen in the wizard, you will be able to pick Voom as your satellite provider.

JEFFinINDY said:
1. Use either an S-Video cable or a composite video (yellow) cable to connect the Voom receiver to the TiVO.
2. Use composite audio (red and white) cables to connect the audio out from the Voom receiver to the TiVO.
3. If you have basic cable or an NTSC antenna line, connect it to the back of the TiVO as well, so you'll be able to have your locals integrated in the TiVO guide.
4. Repeat the guided setup on the TiVO (this is found in the Settings menu). For the input type, select either Satellite, Satellite+Cable, or Satellite+Antenna, depending on how you connected things in step 3. On the next screen in the wizard, you will be able to pick Voom as your satellite provider.

Now this makes sense, my final question is? I am going to ssume that all of the content I have saved to the HD will be lost, once the Tivo is programed for Voom... Correct?

Choochie said:
Now this makes sense, my final question is? I am going to ssume that all of the content I have saved to the HD will be lost, once the Tivo is programed for Voom... Correct?

Nope - everything remains in tact. You may have to redo some of your season passes, though, if they were tied to a channel number.

Nope won't work

JEFFinINDY said:
Nope - everything remains in tact. You may have to redo some of your season passes, though, if they were tied to a channel number.
I was informed by my Tivo Guru that the two units Voom/Tivo will NOT interract because of the difference in encription encoding, thus my hopes of using my Tivo's with the Voom unit have been dashed.

And frankly if any of yas have had or do now have a Tivo, you'll understand my frustration therein...
C

Choochie said:
I was informed by my Tivo Guru that the two units Voom/Tivo will NOT interract because of the difference in encription encoding, thus my hopes of using my Tivo's with the Voom unit have been dashed.

And frankly if any of yas have had or do now have a Tivo, you'll understand my frustration therein...
C

Used it. works fine. I experimented with Tivo & Replaytv for more than a week & both work just fine. First things first, do you have a Tivo integrated with Directv or is it standalone? Unless you clear that up, only your Guru can help you!

did it last night myself...i'm playing back a HD Rave concert that I recorded this morning and burned to disk. looks not too shabby when played back on my X1...surely not HD, but certainly better than I get over my cable...

Ok kids 'll explain it once more then this issue is dead. in order to make the Voom receiver to work with Tivo the Tivo unit must be an Hi Def model. Any other combination will not work. Got it?

Choochie said:
Ok kids 'll explain it once more then this issue is dead. in order to make the Voom receiver to work with Tivo the Tivo unit must be an Hi Def model. Any other combination will not work. Got it?
Choochie, this all depends on what you mean by "work", and also on what you mean by "TiVo". :) Let me explain. The standard standalone (SD) TiVo sold in most stores (not the DirectTV version of it that you seem to have) works with VOOM no problem over composite or s-video connections. It integrates the VOOM channel guide, it can switch channels on VOOM STB using its IR Blaster, and it can record all VOOM channels, including all VOOM exclusive channels. Of course, it will record them in SD, since we are talking about SD TiVo, but since VOOM STB is capable of anamorphic squeezing, wide-screen programs recorded with TiVo can look much better than regular SD.

HD DVRs, on the other hand, are not currently compatible with VOOM, since VOOM STB doesn't have firewire output. However, as you probably know, VOOM has announced plans for its own HD DVR.

See the following threads for details:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)