Tivo - Creating a "Custom" Radio Channel

jholland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Central Illinois
I appreciate that Sky Angel recently added the ability to turn the screen-saver off. It allowed me to restore using Tivo as an automatic channel-changer. I generally choose Christian radio programs in the morning, then I choose live TV broadcasts or use the 48-hour playback feature to watch programs or movies in the evening. I took time to set a sequence of Tivo season-pass recordings so that Tivo automatically changes the radio channel all day long, even during the night (for music while falling asleep or during a sleepless time). For my favorite radio programs, I set the full 30-minute block to record, which gives me the additional option of listening to that program at another time. If I simply want the channel to change, but don't need to record a program, I set a 5-minute season-pass recording for that time slot.

Setting up automatic channel-changing assures that I won't miss all or part of a program, which is especially important when a program is a teaching series I don't want to miss. If I decide I want to listen to something else on a particular day, I can override a recording by simply changing the channel manually. Automatic channel-changing (combined with my FM transmitter) also allows me to turn on a radio in any room at any time and find it already broadcasting my preferred program without returning to the Sky Angel box to make a selection.

Using Tivo in this way has helped me create my own "custom" radio station, broadcasting all my favorite programs 24/7.

I have been trying to find out some info about Skyange and Tivo, the info concerning using Tivo for listening is very good, and will help me. However I have some other questions like which Tivo's will work with Skyangel. I have read that the Series 1 will also work, but need to make sure before making a purchase. Another question is, in the Tivo guide will it list some programing information? Thats one thing I miss not having in Skyangel. Thanks for any info concerning Tivo. I would also like to know which brand or type Tivos other are using. I really wish the Replaytv could be used.

I have the Tivo Series 2, which I understood at the time I purchased it was the one that would work with Sky Angel equipment.

Yes, there is excellent program info on the Tivo guide. Tivo also gives you the ability to rewind and pause any program, including radio programs. And, of course, you can record both TV and radio programs. It's nice to be able to choose the time when I listen to a radio program just like I do the TV programs with the 48-hour review. I also record some movies and concerts for later viewing.

Tivo offers some other perks as well. I listen to Christian music (and doo wop, and oldies, and other types of music) through Live365 on Tivo. I can listen to Live365 radio on-line, of course, but with my FM transmitter and Tivo, I can get the music right on the Tivo and send it throughout my house without changing any hookups. Additionally, I can rent and download movies from Amazon and Blockbuster with the Tivo.

I have the Tivo Series 2, which I understood at the time I purchased it was the one that would work with Sky Angel equipment.

Yes, there is excellent program info on the Tivo guide. Tivo also gives you the ability to rewind and pause any program, including radio programs. And, of course, you can record both TV and radio programs. It's nice to be able to choose the time when I listen to a radio program just like I do the TV programs with the 48-hour review. I also record some movies and concerts for later viewing.

Tivo offers some other perks as well. I listen to Christian music (and doo wop, and oldies, and other types of music) through Live365 on Tivo. I can listen to Live365 radio on-line, of course, but with my FM transmitter and Tivo, I can get the music right on the Tivo and send it throughout my house without changing any hookups. Additionally, I can rent and download movies from Amazon and Blockbuster with the Tivo.

Thanks for info, now if I can find out if in fact the series 1 Tivo will work, because with a lifetime sub, they are much more affordable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts