TiVo EDGE for antenna

madmadworld

Official TV Watcher
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 7, 2006
up on the roof in SinCity
They are having their best sale going on now. $299.98. All in service plan(new Lifetime) Use code BREEZE99 at checkout
  • Offer ends 9/9/21
Bought my Roamio at this price 5+ years ago now. if you ever thought of buying at this price......

Of all my TiVos, my Edge OTA seems to have the weakest OTA tuner. I have 1 - HD TiVo, 2 - Premieres, 1 - Roamio and 2 - Bolt OTA's.

NO. Tivo hasn't released any plans for a real world 3.0 device anytime soon.

They did show off a 3.0 dongle which interfaces with a TiVo not too long ago.

Of course it was more a proof of concept over a actual product coming out. But that should show it is on their radar.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I expect about the time they come out with an ATSC 3 tuner model, there will be a great sale on the old ATSC 1 models. I’m guessing for the 2024 holidays.

They did show off a 3.0 dongle which interfaces with a TiVo not too long ago.

Of course it was more a proof of concept over a actual product coming out. But that should show it is on their radar.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
That was over two years ago, and like two previous owners of the Tivo company. So, who knows what their plans are anymore. I find it interesting that the only regular way you can buy a Tivo Edge, (except for this sale) is from Channel Master...

I wouldn't purchase one right now seeing as how many 1.0 stations will be off air in the next 5-6 years. Unless you only care about a short-term investment.
With so many cord cutters everyday, OTA watching numbers growing. getting all of these people up on 3.0 will take 10 years from now imo
look how long it took locals to get up on ATSC 1.0.

I wouldn't even bother with a TiVO. Such an antiquated and out-of-touch business model with those subscriptions. I can do everything that a TiVO can do with my HDHomerun Extend...which was 38 bucks :D

With ATSC 3.0 coming in, I'll wait when those devices become less expensive before splashing the cash. There's nothing special bar 1080p versions of channels...

I wouldn't buy it. I'm not sure what is up with TiVO. I have a Roamio with 4 tuners and a mini so I use 2 to 3 tuners at times with recording shows. I don't get why the new OTA model is 2 tuners only when Tablo and HDHomerun offer 2 or 4 tuners. They are not keeping up with competition. I do like the TiVo and its easy to use for anyone that comes over. I plan to keep mine until we have an ATSC 3.0 channel operating in the Harrisburg, Lancaster market. Then I will see what is out there. Likey I will go with an HDhomerun flex 4k or what ever seems best at the time. Doesn't seem like there are many ATSC 3.0 products out there. Flex4k and something called Zapper box, but not sure if that is even shipping yet.

It won’t take ten years if the ATSC 1 stations start going dark after five years of ATSC3 broadcasts.
No station will be pulling the plug on their 1.0 station within the next 5 years anyhow because they won't have enough of their OTA viewers transitioned over to using 3.0 by then. The plan, though, is for more and more stations to convert their signal from 1.0 to 3.0 over time, as viewers update their equipment and shift over, which will mean that all those local channels get crammed onto fewer and fewer 1.0 towers while their 3.0 versions get to spread out over more and more towers and maybe begin doing actual 4K HDR broadcasts. (Some of the bandwidth on those 3.0 towers, though, will be used for things other than free TV channels, such as B2B IOT datacasting, subscription TV channels, audio-only/music channels, etc. I suspect that datacasting, not free TV, is the real business plan that Sinclair and Nexstar have in mind for 3.0.)

So if things go the way ATSC 3.0 proponents are hoping, then by 2030 we'll be looking at most markets across the U.S. having maybe just one or two "nightlight" stations still broadcasting in 1.0, perhaps only accommodating the most popular channels and maybe only in SD. And then eventually those nightlights will be turned off and ATSC 1.0 signals will cease to exist. But I'm skeptical that enough consumers will ever buy a TV or external device with a 3.0 tuner in it to reach the level of penetration that will allow broadcasters to deprecate their 1.0 signals to that extent, much less completely shut them down. We'll see...

I suspect once the stations have agreements with cablecos and satcos, and the five years have passed, they will start shutting down the ATSC 1 broadcasts. It is costly to broadcast, for electricity, repairs and maintenance. And too few OTA viewers for that cost. Most of whom will get ATSC 3 access once ATSC 1 goes away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)