TiVo HD (cable) to Hopper (Dish)

hoff_w

Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Recently switched from TiVo HD to Hopper, thereby beginning a 2-year commitment that hasn't been as smooth of a transition than I would have hoped. I have two questions that I have been unable to resolve:
1.) What do the color indicator circles (green, blue, violet) represent on the daily schedule listing?
2.) With TiVo I could set a Season Pass that would record/keep a set number of shows and would not record/replace with a new show until I deleted one of the recorded shows. So if I always wanted 2 episodes of a certain show, but didn't want it to continue to record every time it was on I could set TiVo accordingly. Is this possible with Hopper/Dish DVR's?

Thank You,

Recently switched from TiVo HD to Hopper, thereby beginning a 2-year commitment that hasn't been as smooth of a transition than I would have hoped. I have two questions that I have been unable to resolve:
1.) What do the color indicator circles (green, blue, violet) represent on the daily schedule listing?
They indicate which of the three tuners are being use for that item in the schedule
2.) With TiVo I could set a Season Pass that would record/keep a set number of shows and would not record/replace with a new show until I deleted one of the recorded shows. So if I always wanted 2 episodes of a certain show, but didn't want it to continue to record every time it was on I could set TiVo accordingly. Is this possible with Hopper/Dish DVR's?
On the Hopper you can set the number of episodes of any show you are recording and it will properly save that number of newest episodes unlike the Tivo that wont record a newer episode until you delete a previous one.
Thank You,

Blue = During this recording, one tuner is in use for recordings. Green = two tuners in use. Violet = three tuners in use.

The Hopper will not stop recording programs when the maximum number is reached, it will keep recording matching events, replacing older events. I do not know of any way to get it to 'STOP recording after N recordings'.

Close your eyes and repeat after me, "Hopper is not a Tivo... Hopper is not a Tivo... Hopper is not a Tivo...' :D
:D:D

You will find that it has its own charm and features. (The "max recording" feature is in steps of ten. In another thread someone reported that it isn't working correctly yet on his Hopper.)

Thanks for the responses!

The ability to set a number of episodes (say 3), mark to protect (TiVo terminology keep "until I delete") with the result being it will not record any additional episodes until you drop below # of episodes (say 2). Saves wear and tear on the hard drive when you only care to have a few episodes on hand at all times.

What drove this question is my wife set a timer for CMT Music and it would literally record/replace 15 times a day. Kids shows is another place where it comes in handy; when they are bored with a specific episode, they delete and it replaces with a new episode.

Wear and tear on the Hard Drive should be the least of your worries. The drive will fail when it fails, and there isn't much you can do about it. Don't drop it, keep it well ventilated and use it like there's no tomorrow.

Wear and tear on the Hard Drive should be the least of your worries. The drive will fail when it fails, and there isn't much you can do about it. Don't drop it, keep it well ventilated and use it like there's no tomorrow.

I think part of the nightly system update is a process that defrags or otherwise optimizes the drive. (Another reason not to skip it!) After I had done a bunch of transfers on and off the hopper the system update process took over an hour instead of the estimated 10-20 minutes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts