Tivo or HR21xxx?

Tivo or HR2xxxx

• i will be the 1st in line for the new TIVO!

Votes: 56 56.6%
  • i rather stay with my HR2xxxx

Votes: 37 37.4%
  • i don't like either of them.

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Tivo if they write the software. If the kernel can be replaced and networking and extraction enabled like the HR10-250 its a no brainer. How long has the HR2X series been in CE testing? Freakin ridiculous!!!

what if the new tivo has all the functions of the HR series plus much more? what if it's faster at responding to commands than what we have now? what if the gui is in HD? what if the ota is built in? would you consider it then DK? the point of this should be that it will be better than what we have now and for sure better than anything we had before right? what are your thoughts if you're getting everything i posted above and maybe more? if not then what's the point to creating this new dvr if it's not better right?
What if??? I doubt it will. If they do, then we will just have another HR...

My main issue with TiVO is that they need to create ways to access folders and settings with the fewest steps as possible. If they at least start with an off button so I do not have to hit the TiVO button then scroll down to the bottom of the menu to select standby; that alone would be a nice start.

What if??? I doubt it will. If they do, then we will just have another HR...

My main issue with TiVO is that they need to create ways to access folders and settings with the fewest steps as possible. If they at least start with an off button so I do not have to hit the TiVO button then scroll down to the bottom of the menu to select standby; that alone would be a nice start.

i agree with you on the what if?? it's either better than what we have now or it's not. and if it's not then what's the point to doing this if we're going backwards or ending up pretty much even.

what if the new tivo has all the functions of the HR series plus much more? what if it's faster at responding to commands than what we have now? what if the gui is in HD? what if the ota is built in? would you consider it then DK? the point of this should be that it will be better than what we have now and for sure better than anything we had before right? what are your thoughts if you're getting everything i posted above and maybe more? if not then what's the point to creating this new dvr if it's not better right?

It doesn't sound like they are creating a new DVR. They are adding TiVO software to the existing hardware platform (think of reformatting your Windows or OS X computer and installing Linux on it).

It doesn't sound like they are creating a new DVR. They are adding TiVO software to the existing hardware platform (think of reformatting your Windows or OS X computer and installing Linux on it).

the announcement says that it will be a new dvr running tivo software. no?

If they took the Hr10-250 and gave it Mpeg4 tuners it would be superior to anything D* has in the HR20 or Hr21. Frankly that is what they should have done instead of releasing the HR2X series before it was done.

First off this new D* Tivo will not be a reality until some time later next year by official count, which usually means some time in 2010. Remember Comcast said to offer Tivo early last year, where are they now? Pushed back to the end of this year I think.

Secondly it will cost more monthly in order to have that service, as stated by Tivo.

Now we know Tivo's accounts have dropped from 4.2 million a year ago to the last known 3.6 million in their latest quarterly report, most of the drop was from losing the DirecTivo accounts.

By that rate, some time in 2010 there may not be many DirecTivos left. So good a new DirecTivo will appear at a higher monthly fee.

Now I have four HR21s right now only charged one $4.99 DVR fee, while the HR21s still needs improvement, they work fine as they are now, I can only see them getting better. By 2010, that new DirecTivo will have to practically cook meals for me before I will be willing to pay extra monthly cost just to "upgrade".

The main thing I miss about the HR10-250 was the guide format. It made it a lot easier to see what was coming on. It was similar to what you get now if you highlight the channel on the left and hit the info button, but showed more information quicker.

I would switch to a new DirecTivo just for the guide format. Other than that I have been satisfied with the HR20-100.

I also liked the feature where the HR10-250 would record stuff it thought I would like based on the thumbs down / thumbs up I gave shows in the guide.

I enjoyed giving bad shows 3 thumbs down.

the announcement says that it will be a new dvr running tivo software. no?

Hmm.. well first it reads, "Under the terms of the non-exclusive arrangement, DIRECTV and TiVo will work together to develop a version of the TiVo® service for DIRECTV's broadband-enabled HD DVR platform."

But then it reads, "TiVo will develop the new HD DVR for an expected launch in the second half of 2009."

So I guess you could take it either way...

...the poll doesn't include an option for ViP622/722 users to have a say...

Even hypothetically, its at least worth a mention.

The release I got via email stated that D* and Tivo would release a new BOX together. D* would continue their own DVR's for current and new customers, and the Tivo box would be available as an "alternative".

this is about D not E. i put it in the war zone so tivo lovers and haters could have a say in it. this isn't about E fool :D

this is about D not E. i put it in the war zone so tivo lovers and haters could have a say in it. this isn't about E fool :D

So never mind the fact that I would have voted for Tivo...

This belongs in the D* forum...IMHO...;)

Not like I care or anything, I'm just pointing that out...

I recently switched to D* and have the HR21. All I can say is...E*'s HDDVR is functionally better, less buggy and a lot cheaper. I can't wait to see what's available in 24 months.

Vampz, I hate to say this but I totally agree with you on this one. There should have been an option to switch from dish as well as it would be really nice to see how many would switch just for the Tivo.

so go ahead and vote for the tivo. the option says that you'll be the 1st in line for a tivo. that could apply to anyone even from E.

Vampz, I hate to say this but I totally agree with you on this one. There should have been an option to switch from dish as well as it would be really nice to see how many would switch just for the Tivo.

you could still vote and post an explanation on why you chose one of the options by saying your a current E customer but would easily switch to D for the tivo.

i'm guessing your vote was you don't like either. :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)