Tivo Premier Review

If TIVO's own fanboys don't like the product, how will they attract new customers? Easy, through deceptive advertising and hype. What else have they got?

If TIVO's own fanboys don't like the product, how will they attract new customers? Easy, through deceptive advertising and hype. What else have they got?
Nothing is wrong with the product...it's just that Tivo customers were hoping for something better (certainly faster hardware) after such a long wait. As much as I like the TivoHD, I like the MoxiHD just as much...and Dish Network's DVRs (ViP Series and the mysterious T2200S) even more. Tivo has been so focused on litigation and defending their patents, they have almost completely ignored innovating new products and creating a viable and sustainable business model for these new products and services. In all fairness, the Cable Cartel has been clearly stacked against consumer set-top-box makes like Tivo and Moxi, and the picture hasn't been much brighter when it comes to working with D* or E*. Heck, I've been using Cablecard since 2005 and I recently had to speak to six (6) Comcast "Tech Support" representatives before I could find someone who knew how to properly provision the Tivo I bought my brother and his family. The "Installation Tech" had no idea what to with the cablecard other bring it out to the house and stand-around looking silly. And yes, each representative told me..."Why would you want to use that when we offer a better DVR?" I can almost understand why Tivo has reverted to litigation since 90% of the consumer market would simply return the DVR due to the headaches and heartaches of dealing with Cable.

Nothing is wrong with the product...
While I understand your mindset, those who actually had hands on with the product don't agree.

I think everyone agrees that TIVO needs new focus or they will be done before long.

While I understand your mindset, those who actually had hands on with the product don't agree.
That's because most Tivo Zealots were expecting the Series 4 to be an evolutionary upgrade in DVR technology with lots of "Wow" factor. Based on Tivo's product development history, I wasn't expecting anything other than a version upgrade. I'm not thrilled with the Premiere, but I really wasn't expecting much. Regardless, I think everyone can agree that Tivo's product development is in the crapper...

Part of the problem seems to be that Series 3 was a huge upgrade to the series 2. Everyone was expecting a similar increase in processing power. I have never used a series 2, but given all the comments bashing TiVo about being slow and clunky, it must have been pretty bad. The series 3 responds as fast as I can push the buttons on the remote (using as a DVR not internet).

On the internet the series 3 is slow and clunky, I think people were expecting this to be fixed in the new boxes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)