Tivo question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcwebman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Spring, TX
I have the HR10-250 and am confused by what happens occasionally. It happened again last night so I was hoping someone here could tell me what's going on.

We were watching live TV but it was behind schedule so we weren't live. I had a show set up to record at 9pm. Just before 9, I got a message similar to:
Need to record another show. What do you want to do?
- switch to other channel
- cancel recording

If I select the switch channel setting, I would lose my live TV setting. I didn't want to cancel the recording but had no choice. I did that, paused what we were watching, and then switched to the other tuner.

The other tuner was recording a Tivo suggestion. I cancelled the recording, started recording the show that I wanted, then switched back to the other tuner.

I thought Tivo suggestions wouldn't override my specific recordings. Why couldn't the DVR switch to the other channel, cancel the suggestion and start recording what I wanted? I'm about ready to cancel Tivo suggestions totally which hopefully would avoid the problem. What am I missing here?

Jeff

If I may...
I think the queston is why did he/you have to tell the Tivo to use the other tuner, instead of the suggestion being stopped and the desired recording to take place.

While I may be able to understand your question, I do not know the answer. Sure you could try disabling the suggestions to see if that makes a difference... but I dunno.

I seem to remember this happening to me a few times, even when the tuner I was not watching was NOT recording anything. Perhaps I'm mistaken. Anyway dcwebman, you are not alone in your confusion.

The Tivo was tied up recording a suggestion therefore it needed the free tuner you were watching, it isn't programed to stop recording a suggestion so it can record something scheduled and still leave you a tuner free to watch something else on. Turn off the suggestions as suggested.

That stinks that you have to lose the supposed great functionality (suggestions) of Tivo just to avoid the problems with it. I have only had it for about a month so far and haven't watched one suggestion yet though so I have turned it off.

At least I know now I'm not the only one confused by this. Thanks for that!

Many people like the suggestions for different reasons, but I can't stand my TIVO recording a bunch of crap I'll never watch. The way I look at it, I know what I want to watch and I will set it to record what I want.

I've already got my wife making suggestions, I don't need some damn computer making suggestions too.:)

How much longer were you going to watch live TV?

The HR10 will keep the buffer around until you reach the end of it. So if what you were watching ended at 9 (real time) anyway, you tell it switch to other channel. You can keep watching the buffer... in fact, you can even back up to the beginning of the buffer!! I think that's cool and it's something E* doesn't allow, to my knowledge.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts