TiVo refreshes lineup with 6-tuner Roamio DVRs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
From an earlier discussion on TIVO abandoning the OTA market
The $200 base model has 75 hours of storage and can record just four channels at once. It also lacks built-in support for streaming to iPhones and iPads. But the base model can record over-the-air broadcasts, while the pricier models require a TV signal from a cable service. (Satellite TV isn't supported on any of the devices. AT&T'S U-verse won't work either, but Verizon's FiOS will.)

There will be a single model that supports OTA. It is the bottom of the line, with only 4 tuners and without the streaming and wi-fi. It also has a smaller HD than the other two. What's up TIVO? Are you not aware of a growing trend toward cable cutting and online content? I guess they think cable cutters are cheap and unwilling to invest.

There will be a single model that supports OTA. It is the bottom of the line, with only 4 tuners and without the streaming and wi-fi. It also has a smaller HD than the other two. What's up TIVO? Are you not aware of a growing trend toward cable cutting and online content? I guess they think cable cutters are cheap and unwilling to invest.

If you live in an area where OTA coverage is limited to the big four networks(ABC,CBS,Fox,& NBC plus PBS) & the local CW isn't in HD,then 4 tuners would be probably more than enough. Sure there may be sub-channels,but most of those wouldn't be worth setting up recordings for. I live in the Augusta,GA CSRA metro area & we have probably 18 OTA channels,including the big four networks & 2 PBS channels in HD,but the rest are SD,including the CW.

If you live in an area where OTA coverage is limited to the big four networks(ABC,CBS,Fox,& NBC plus PBS) & the local CW isn't in HD,then 4 tuners would be probably more than enough. Sure there may be sub-channels,but most of those wouldn't be worth setting up recordings for. I live in the Augusta,GA CSRA metro area & we have probably 18 OTA channels,including the big four networks & 2 PBS channels in HD,but the rest are SD,including the CW.

I am more concerned about the lack of wifi and streaming options on the OTA box. Agree that 4 tuners is likely sufficient, although my current TIVO Premiere is usually running about 50% full, given all the stuff the kids program.

I am also concerned that this box will be treated like the red-headed stepchild, or like that stripped down car on the back row of the dealer's lot. It won't be promoted and will be available if you insist, thus missing an opportunity for TIVO and a bad future for those that want OTA DVRs.

Chat answers:

Me: I assume it can handle the 1TB DVR Expander external drive to expand storage?
Tivo: Correct.

Me: Is it like previous models where part of the show is stored on the internal drive and part on the external, so if you lose one drive you lose all the shows? They are not seperate from each other?
Tivo: At the moment it is like that. Although I keep placing requests to change that.

Me: On my S3 and Premiere I used Amazon VOD quite often for tv shows. Those models would actually download the entire HD show as a file from Amazon and put them in your playlist. This is important to me because of slow internet speeds. Does the Roamio actually download the HD Amazon purchase as a file, or does it force you to stream the tv show/movie? I used to set up series pass's with Amazon and the new episode would auto download to the S3 and S4 after midnight when it became available on Amazon.
Tivo: It would still download the show or movie completely. We could not stream from Amazon yet, but hopefully someday.

Im looking at a basic model for OTA.

If you live in an area where OTA coverage is limited to the big four networks(ABC,CBS,Fox,& NBC plus PBS) & the local CW isn't in HD,then 4 tuners would be probably more than enough.
On the other end of the spectrum, there are markets with 30+ subchannels, many of which may not be carried on cable.

The real stink is going to come when they discontinue the Premier.

Comparisons to the Hopper and Genie (and any of the cable Whole Home DVRs) will (and most certainly should) be made as the Roamio is obviously TiVo's take.

I am sure they will be cracked and you will be able to swap out the HD for something much larger. It is just disappointing that they do not have a large disk option up front. I suspect they know their sales data and know that most are cable only units being used.

Also the TiVo stream can be added to do the streaming.

I think Im too late unfortunately, found that way after I ordered today LOL.

I was on the fence about ordering one, but when I saw the offer I decided it was time. If you ordered from TiVo direct, perhaps you can call them and get them to add the code. It is quite a bit of savings even if you have to return your first unit and order a second one with the discount, pointing that out to them might just get them to give you the discount.

I could try. Once I confirmed it did Amazon downloads, I went for it and ordered a DVR Expander. My plan to use Amazon TV shows more with the Roku 3 and Sony 5100 has been shot to hell a couple of times because of my internet speeds. I got on last night to try and watch something on the 5100 and Amazon ap was only reporting back 2.7mbps...

If Im going to even try and dial back some my tv service I need the download options. I always liked it on my Series 3 XL. PQ was good, same with the Premier I had.

Ill use it for all my OTA recording of locals, and then get the series pass for tv shows off Amazon and adjust Dish as I need.

Well TiVo moved quick. Shipped out of Fort Worth already, be here on Thursday. To bad Ill be in Bristol from Thu to Sun :(

I can play with it Sunday night, at least get it set up and get the timers in for the following week :)

Although 4-tuners is adequate, I'm not happy the OTA/Entry level model comes with such a puny hard-drive. I think I'll keep my TivoHD w/Lifetime and 2 Premiere models ($129 and $99 annual subscription rates) along for now.

I will add the 1TB WD DVR extender, so it will do 1.5TB. I would much prefer a 2TB+ preinstalled, but perhaps soon the 3rd party solutions will arrive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)