Tivo Roamio Plus and Mini MoCA Question

nickg420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Flowery Branch, Ga
I just made the decision to jump to Charter from Dish. It saves me $60+ a month and I will end up with more HD.

In doing my research I discovered their DVR is trash so I ordered a Tivo Roamio Plus and a Mini. After some reading it seems as though the Roamio Plus doesn't work like the Hopper and create a MoCA network from a wireless connection. Is this true?

My router is in my office which is no where near either TV that will feature Tivo. There's no running cable as this is a finished house with hardwood floors and no basement. I have an Asus dual band AC router and it has never game any problems with my Hopper and Joey's....I can't imagine Tivo would be any different.

Why would Tivo not allow MoCA to use wireless?

Last edited:
Don't hold me to this as I'm still playing with moca myself and I just have the base Roamio and not the Plus, but I believe you just need to get a moca adapter and put it inline with your cable modem and router. It will then create the moca network over the coax going to the Roamio Plus and Mini which have moca built in.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/moca

Don't hold me to this as I'm still playing with moca myself and I just have the base Roamio and not the Plus, but I believe you just need to get a moca adapter and put it inline with your cable modem and router. It will then create the moca network over the coax going to the Roamio Plus and Mini which have moca built in.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/moca

Great :rolleyes: More money to spend to eat at the "savings" ....I still don't get not supporting wireless....

Are you trying to send the main live video feed via wireless? That is the part that the TIVO moca won't do.

The TiVo Romeo Plus has a built in MOCA adapter (base Romeo does not). You can use the built in adapter to talk to the mini via an existing coax, or you can use ethernet (hardwire).

Now if you do not have cable or ethernet available, you can get a WIFI ethernet bridge(s) and set it up at the mini's location and should be able to get it to work.

I just want the TiVo to work like The Hopper and Joey. I connected my Hopper to my wireless network...It created a MoCA network...And I can watch live or recorded TV at any Joey...

No MoCA adapters at my router....No wireless bridges...No Ethernet connections....It just did its thing...

Apparently the TiVo Roamio doesn't work that way with wireless....I will figure out a way to run Cat5 from my router to the Roamio and be done with it I guess...

Thanks for the help!

That's the wrong cable. I am running a wireless adapter to my bedroom TIVO no problem. It needs a direct cable feed (coax). And if you have the coax between the two, the MOCA comes for free on the Roamio.

I just want the TiVo to work like The Hopper and Joey. I connected my Hopper to my wireless network...It created a MoCA network...And I can watch live or recorded TV at any Joey...

No MoCA adapters at my router....No wireless bridges...No Ethernet connections....It just did its thing...

Apparently the TiVo Roamio doesn't work that way with wireless....I will figure out a way to run Cat5 from my router to the Roamio and be done with it I guess...

Thanks for the help!

This might be a pain depending on what you currently have connected to your router by Ethernet but it's an alternative. You could move your modem and router to where your TV is. Since you already have a cable feed to that location for the TiVo all you would need to do is install a splitter where the cable enters that room. From the splitter you would just connect one output to your TiVo and one output to your cable modem.

My Roamio basic doesn't support MOCA but I do remember reading in the instructions that MOCA would only work if your TIVo was connected to your home network by Ethernet. I don't know enough about MOCA to know if the splitter would mess anything up for you but I think this would get the job done. It might be easier (and cheaper) to move your modem and router and get any PCs or other devices you currently have connected to the router setup over wireless than it would be to run Ethernet to your TiVo or buy a wireless bridge.

Edit: I obviously forgot a step. You would still have to connect your Roamio to Ethernet if you moved your modem/router but it would only be a run of a couple feet and you wouldn't have to drill through any walls or floors.

It probably would have been a lot less confusing for all if you had left the part about the bygone Hopper/Joey setup unsaid.

As a business decision, TiVo requires a wired network path to your router. If they didn't want an arm and a leg for adapters, MoCA would be a good alternative for a modest system.

CAT5e or CAT6 Ethernet will probably serve you better in the long haul and on a much greater variety of TVs and TV-connected devices.

And if you have the coax between the two, the MOCA comes for free on the Roamio.
It should be noted that MoCA is not included the basic Roamio or Roamio OTA. It is a part of the TS's Roamio Plus as well as the Roamio Pro. The same kind of situation exists in the Premiere line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts