How Long Have you Had HD?

Had Dish when we got married in 2003, and swapped to comcast in 2004 because they had a better HD offering. I bought my first HDTV (Panny 42" plasma) in fall of 2004.

Man was that thing expensive, but I remember my wife and I spent 2 hours in Circuit City looking at tv's and we kept coming back to that thing, it was gorgeous. Been all down hill since then LOL

This is what it looked like:

51SZ7TJ9S2L._SY300_.jpg

It was around late 2004 when the addiction began.

JVC rear projection monster, still had it and used it until last month, when I sold it to my neighbor at the lake. They love it. It still has a great picture today. I didn't jump into sat HD until the 722 came out. I got one of the first 722's but I had a Directv Hughes HD receiver that I used for OTA in the beginning until I got a Sony DHG HDD250 OTA HD Dvr in 2005-6 that I used for local HD until I got the 722. I gave the Sony to my neighbor (they're OTA only) to use as a tuner with the JVC since Rovi killed the OTA guide service. That was a great DVR too.

Replaced the JVC as main tv with a Mitsubishi DLP at Xmas 2008. I just replaced the DLP chip myself on it about 6 months ago, to fix the white dots of death problem and it still gets used daily at lake house by my mom. It's still my favorite HDTV. I have the 60in Mits and a 40in Insignia LCD I got at Xmas this year for patio at lake, 60in LG LED's in my living room here and at Condo in Vegas. 50in LG plasma, and 40in Vizio LCD in bedrooms along with 2 40in RCA LCD's in office that I use 1 for a computer monitor and 1 for tv. If we keep the Condo in Vegas I will probably add one more out there sometime next year, otherwise I am done until something breaks. I also have 3 DTVPAL HD OTA Dvr's on various tv's and now an HD Homerun Dual HD tuner on the network for the Computer tv. More surround equipment and speakers than I can count and other things like Slingbox, wdtv boxes, bluray player and NAS.

Have to stop the addiction, no new toys. I've run out of family to give things too when I want to upgrade

Were you using a crosshatch generator or just the basic two line cross convergence on the TV's front panel to adjust it?

Been a long, long time since I've done one of those and I've long since thrown out all the service lit that I had on them, but I remember that with a crosshatch generator and the adjustments on the convergence board itself you could get it with a little patience, if the IC's on the convergence board weren't bad. Even then, the IC's weren't too expensive. I use to love those TV's, change a couple of IC's and the coolant in the tubes, set the convergence and the picture was like new. Use to pick them up dirt cheap and sell them for good money, back in the 90's. :D

Just the basic, I have what we called a Big Screen from the early 90's also an Hitachi that has the same problem, it's the perfect height for a FPTV in my little theater room(using as shelf).

I had a Sony CRT rear projector as far back as 94. Bought a Sony 36" 1080i back in 2004 for the bedroom, so that was my first HD TV. However, didn't watch much HD on it. In 2006 bought a 56" Toshiba DLP set to replace the failing Sony projector and upgraded to a DISH 622. That was when the HD bug really bit me.

It was 2004 when the hd phenomenon started draining my wallet.......and still drains to this day.

Just the basic, I have what we called a Big Screen from the early 90's also an Hitachi that has the same problem, it's the perfect height for a FPTV in my little theater room(using as shelf).

Too bad you're so far away, or I'd let you use my generator. I you ever get the urge to try and straighten it out, try and locate a crosshatch generator and use the adjustments on the convergence board, usually the board was right behind the speaker grill on the bottom and would flip out so you could sit in front of the TV and adjust it.

There is a specific pattern that had to be followed adjusting the convergence controls, of which there's probably fifty or so of them, probably could just download that somewhere nowadays. If that didn't bring it back in, then more than likely the chips are bad and/or the coolant is really burnt and needs to be changed.:)

I bought mine in 2007-08ish, and it's still my only TV (and computer monitor). 32" 720p Sylvania/Funai, from BJ's Wholesale. Now a 1080p 42" is the same price as this one, but I'll be holding onto this one for a while longer. No issues or problems. I wish it had another HDMI port or two, but this one actually has two composite and two component, which is great for all the video game systems here.

I bought my first hd set in 05 and watched a few things OTA. In 06 I bought my first plasma and got HD through D*. Almost went with the same panny that gadget had, but decided to go with a samsung instead. While it was good set, I got a panasonic the next year, and have had them ever since (still sad thats over).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)