How Long Have you Had HD?

I was 1st watching OTA HD in either 1999 or 2000.
I think I had a Sony, 60" at the time.
I thru together an old roof antenna that my Dad had sitting in his garage, asked him if he still used it, he said, no its not good for anything, I took it home and hooked it up and sat it outside on the patio and once I played around to get my position correct, I had HD on the locals that were available, called Dad and had him come over to see it.
Shortly afterwards I bought one for the roof.
I'm thinking it was 1999 but can't be 100% sure.

Loewe 38" tube TV hooked up to Dish's HD receiver (model number escapes me) and a rooftop antenna for the Houston HD locals in 2001.

Edit: Dish receiver was the 6000 model.

2002, OTA only. you were lucky if there was 1 HD program on per evening on any channel. One night, each of the 3 OTA channels had an HD program. Olympics,and 2 other programs. TV was a Toshiba 50 inch rear projection.

I think it was about 2002 or so. Whenever HDNet started on Directv.

2002, OTA only. you were lucky if there was 1 HD program on per evening on any channel. One night, each of the 3 OTA channels had an HD program. Olympics,and 2 other programs. TV was a Toshiba 50 inch rear projection.
Do you remember when they would forget to flip the switch to HD and the first part of the show was in SD ...
That use to happen here for awhile, you would call the station and tell them to wake up the guy flipping the switch ... usually when they got thru the commercial it would be in HD !

I well remember those days. I also remember the early days when they were all transmitting on low power during the initial testing. It was very hard to get a good signal.

I'm guessing about 2000. 42" Toshiba rear projection, OTA for what it was worth for a smattering of programming. We got the Dish 6000 receiver as soon as it came out. We quickly decided 42" was too small and went to the 65" toshiba.

I got a Dish 6000 receiver before there was a SatelliteGuys.US! I picked mine up in late 2000 and watched the free HD feeds of HBO and Showtime on the 61.5? satellite on my computer CRT since I didn't have an HDTV at the time. Eventually bought a Toshiba 34" direct view CRT in October 2001. So let's say close to fourteen years of HD!

I bought an HDTV and PS3 in late 2006 and enjoyed HD so much, I've continually upgraded my equipment since then. In 2008, I went with Dish Network because I was so frustrated that my local cable company's feed would frequently pause, continue, and pause again during live viewings. It was unbearable, lol. I keep my profile pic to remind me that Dish once had the great MonstersHD. I was able to view the channel for a few months before the litigation happened that eventually removed the channel from the lineup. sighhh... LOL

Got a Toshiba 57" rear-projection HDTV (still have it - son uses it for his XBox) in 2005 or 2006. Not sure exactly but I do know the TV has a manufacturing date of '05. Had Dish, with a 522 at the time, so no HD programming. That model didn't include a digital tuner either (ones made the following year did :(). Called Dish about upgrading to their HD-DVR at the time, the 922, as I recall -- $999 is what they told me.... We actually switched to Time Warner for (23) months (got a 2-year, leave-satellite promotion) and got an HD-DVR. By the time the TW promotion ended, Dish had the 622 available for free or very little, with a commitment, of course, so we returned.

Do you remember when they would forget to flip the switch to HD and the first part of the show was in SD ...
That use to happen here for awhile, you would call the station and tell them to wake up the guy flipping the switch ... usually when they got thru the commercial it would be in HD !
LOL I forgot about the switch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts