tivo stream 4k

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I did. Was on chat for just over an hour. Turns out there were 18 devices listed on my account, 6 over the device limit. Nobody removed the 5 Bolts and 1 Roamio I had to swap this past year for failed hdmi ports and bad drives.

Ended up creating a new account just for the stream and it activated.
But if these are under a different account, then how will you connect to your Tivo dvr's when integration is added? Oh wait, that's never happening.

I took the dive and ordered one of these tonight. Watched a few YouTube reviews and was impressed with the feedback. I need a portable streaming device for travel anyway. It has a good remote, is powerful, and doesn't seem to be as limited as far as Android features as the Fire TV devices.

The one thing I don't understand is why they didn't at least let it stream content from TiVo devices that were streaming enabled like the Roamio Pro. It seems like that would have been easy to implement since their regular apps already do it?

Here is my 1.0 review, full of errors I am sure. I do enjoy this box and it is so FULL of potential..I am just hoping though that its not just another tivo project left to rot.

Attachments

• tivostream4k1.0.pdf
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 237
Overall, I like it, but I like my 4K Fire Stick better. There is a lot of potential there, if tivo will continue to work on it.

It seems a little faster than my 4K Fire sticks, not much but it’s noticeable. Plex and Emby definitely launch and load faster. Tivo has removed or disabled some standard android tv menu functions, such as the CEC controls.

Tivo app is pretty much useless for me, as Prime and Disney are all I have that’s currently supported, so I disabled it.

Some apps like ATT Watch TV, Stirr and Stadium don’t show up as available in the play store on the Tivo Stream.

HDR is always on.

For some reason I get flickering in Plex, Emby and with my HD Homerun if I let the stream auto select 4k60. I’ve had to change it 4k30 for now.

Disabled the Tivo app but tivo recommendations are still pinned on the home screen under apps and next up.

HDMI-CEC doesn’t work correctly. It doesn’t automatically tune back to the input if you’re on another input.

When fast forwarding on Philo dvr, half the time I get no thumbnail images, just black squares making it useless.

YouTubeTV seems to have better picture quality on the Tivo stream over the Fire Stick.

YouTube, I have to actually bring the timeline up and highlight it to scan forward and back in a video.

I read somewhere that the USB-C port is actually active and can be used to power the device. Has anyone tried hooking a hard drive to it yet? I'd be curious if you can do that and play back media files from it.

I read somewhere that the USB-C port is actually active and can be used to power the device. Has anyone tried hooking a hard drive to it yet? I'd be curious if you can do that and play back media files from it.
Someone did get a network adapter hooked up thats all I know for sure. I really believe tivo has plans for this port and device after launch.

Someone at TCF got a chromecast Ethernet cable to work on the port, but I don’t know if anyone has tried a drive yet.

It’s on my list to try and see if google live channels will record from my HD Homerun. It sees my tuner and the OTA channels show recordable in the live channels guide using the internal device memory. I’ve got to find my usb c cable to swap out on my pocket drive.

It basically is the same unit as the AIRTV mini but has different software and remote.

From what I am reading it seems to have the same issues as the AIRTV mini does as well. The most annoying one to me is that HDR is always on.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Bobby and JamesJ
It basically is the same unit as the AIRTV mini but has different software and remote.

From what I am reading it seems to have the same issues as the AIRTV mini does as well. The most annoying one to me is that HDR is always on.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Really hoping this is fixed...this is a big one for me that and a black screen when you hit the circle button

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reviewer in this video got a 4K video to play off an external HDD. At about the 9 min mark.

Reactions: osu1991
Anyone here get Netflix on their TIVO Edge 4K OTA DVR?

I can get it fine in the apps. Log in and see all the movies and previews. But when I try to play anything at all, it tries to play up to 3% and then I get a message the program is not available now, try again later. I've contacted TIVO tech support and they had me do all sorts of trouble shooting and the result is they can't figure out what the problem is. They even worked a conference call with Netflix tech support and Netflix can't fix the problem. Netflix claims it is the TIVO and TIVO claims it is Netflix. I have no problem playing Netflix on many of my other devices, including my Tesla Browser.

I even tried to open a new Netflix account with a different email etc and it gave the same error.

When I first got the TIVO Edge it worked fine, then one day in January Netflix just gave the error page. All the other apps work fine.

Anyone here get Netflix on their TIVO Edge 4K OTA DVR?

I can get it fine in the apps. Log in and see all the movies and previews. But when I try to play anything at all, it tries to play up to 3% and then I get a message the program is not available now, try again later. I've contacted TIVO tech support and they had me do all sorts of trouble shooting and the result is they can't figure out what the problem is. They even worked a conference call with Netflix tech support and Netflix can't fix the problem. Netflix claims it is the TIVO and TIVO claims it is Netflix. I have no problem playing Netflix on many of my other devices, including my Tesla Browser.

I even tried to open a new Netflix account with a different email etc and it gave the same error.

When I first got the TIVO Edge it worked fine, then one day in January Netflix just gave the error page. All the other apps work fine.
Have you checked at this forum?

Yes, but reading through the posts they all had the same experience. I suppose I could post there too and explain I even was in a conference call with Netflix and TIVO advanced tech support and it resulted in no fix or understanding of the problem. Netflix believes it is TIVO problem and TIVO claims the app is Netflix and it's their problem to fix it.

In a similar issue, the VUDU app on the TIVO still is not released although it has been shown as coming soon. When I asked, TIVO says VUDU still hasn't approved the app for release. Strange because I continue to get email ads for VUDU on my TIVO.

IMO, this is some bug in the TIVO last update that affected the confirmation of my account at Netflix. We haven't had an update since.

I may have been the first to complain about this error code, but I'm glad to know others are experiencing the same thing. The problem is really low on my priority list since I am using Netflix every day on my AppleTV 4K and it looks great.

Anyway, thanks for the link to that thread.

PS- I posted my experience in that thread just so the OP knows he is not alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: primestar31
Mine came today but I haven't had a chance to hook it up again. I try to connect as many things via Ethernet as I can, so I went ahead and ordered a Google Chromecast Ethernet Adapter for it. Several users on TiVoCommunity reported that it works. Just going to wait until it arrives to fire it up.

I de-tivo’d mine earlier this evening. It does run faster with all the TiVo stuff disabled and hidden. I changed the hidden cec and display settings too with adblink.

If they issue some updates that improve it, I can always undo it or use the other one I have that’s still in the box.

Update- That other fellow received a whole new TIVO Edge. He said he hooked it up and it worked fine. But TIVO wanted him to update the software so he did and the same Netflix error infected the brand new TIVO. I guess that confirms it, TIVO software update broke what worked before.

Really beginning to see some very shoddy coding errors by the new generation of computer techies lately. They try to add features that don't work well and break stuff that worked great for years.
1. Tesla software updates has many complaining of them breaking features that worked before. I'm too new with Tesla to notice.
2. I recently spent a week of frustration trying to fix an Apple iMAC my daughter had FUBAR'd with a Catalina update. After many lengthy tries, on the 4th day, I got a notice from Apple that "the install files I was downloading from their server are corrupted and to try back later." Next day the install went fine.
3. Updated my Samsung Player and then it stopped playing 3D Blu Rays and media files on the USB port. 2 months later they fixed it. Now it works again after another update. But in the meantime I bought a cheap Sony player for my 3D Blu Rays.

Update- That other fellow received a whole new TIVO Edge. He said he hooked it up and it worked fine. But TIVO wanted him to update the software so he did and the same Netflix error infected the brand new TIVO. I guess that confirms it, TIVO software update broke what worked before.

Really beginning to see some very shoddy coding errors by the new generation of computer techies lately. They try to add features that don't work well and break stuff that worked great for years.
1. Tesla software updates has many complaining of them breaking features that worked before. I'm too new with Tesla to notice.
2. I recently spent a week of frustration trying to fix an Apple iMAC my daughter had FUBAR'd with a Catalina update. After many lengthy tries, on the 4th day, I got a notice from Apple that "the install files I was downloading from their server are corrupted and to try back later." Next day the install went fine.
3. Updated my Samsung Player and then it stopped playing 3D Blu Rays and media files on the USB port. 2 months later they fixed it. Now it works again after another update. But in the meantime I bought a cheap Sony player for my 3D Blu Rays.

We've raised a generation of computer programmers that don't actually know the internals of what their code does. Everything is so abstracted. Not all of them obviously, but a fair number. Software quality issues drive me nuts. I am glad I no longer have to deal with software development teams on a regular basis.

Update-
I did some testing of various settings in the TIVO Edge video settings. If I set the video resolution to 1080p60 as opposed to Auto or upconvert to 4K60 the Netflix app allows viewing. This limits all content from Netflix including HDR and 4K UHD to 1080p60 output as well as all other content.

This is looking like TIVO's Netflix app just does not work when the TIVO Edge is operating in 4K as it was designed. All other apps and local broadcast TV can be up converted or pass through to 4K60 HDR when set to AUTO in those settings.

This is an interesting discovery but I'm not sure what it means other than Netflix continues to be a problem for 4K content ( including 4K24P ). On the TIVO Edge, the Amazon Prime App continues to output 4K HDR at 60fps or 24P pass through and upscale as necessary with no problems. On local broadcast 1080 30p can be upscaled to 4K60 and the picture is excellent with the TIVO upscaling.

I'll keep checking for any updates from TIVO but for now the TIVO Edge can only do Netflix in 1080p60 settings. Everything else is fine.

I have 3 of them. mainly for outdoor Tv and bedrooms. its not ready for prime time. The Sling association is a downfall. The tivo stream app doesnt integrate the airtv2 channels (a unit sling sells exclusively for locals) and stream doesnt have locals via internet. Their claim to locals in select markets borders on fraud IMO. The sling app does integrate them, so tivo fails off the bat integrating just one provider and does a halfa@@ job with it. Sling PQ sucks anyway. To me the one thing that makes it worth 50 bucks is the usb c port and use of exFAT that doesnt limit storage file size. I use IPTV now and some recordings may be 8GB. Business plan wise I dont get it or the motivation to keep upgrading a 50 dollar dongle that you arent making serivce fees on. I also am bewildered why tivo just doesnt allow streaming Live TV apps on the edge and minis. So much horsepower sitting there in my house all useless after I cut cable TV off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)