TiVo trouble

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
I bought a Tivo SD dvr off of Ebay, and have some questions. How long is it supposed to take for the receiver to startup? Its been saying "powering up" for over 20 minutes. What might be the problem?

I have DirecTV TiVos and usually it takes maybe 7 or 8 minutes. The messages change too. At some point it will say something like "it won't be long now" and then another one that says it obtaining info from the satellite. I'll let somebody else with more technical knowledge tell you what might be wrong, but 20 minutes seems a long time to me.

Who can fix these, I had planned on upgrading the Hard drive space anyways ,but if maybe it can fixed, I'll keep it. What do yous think the problem might be? Like I said I plug in the receiver and it goes right to the words, Welcome Powering up. and stays there. Hard drive problem?

Yeah, if it's not making it past the "Welcome. Powering Up..." screen, then I believe it's not booting past the PROM. If it were making it to the hard drive in the boot process and the image were corrupt, you'd see a reboot loop, where you'd see a black screen, then "Powering Up...", then the black screen, ad infinitum. It could be the parallel cable connecting the drive to the TiVo mobo came loose, but you'll need a set of Torx drivers to open the case to do anything. If the drive is dead then you'd need an image of the software and a replacement drive, or you could consider replacement hard drive sellers like Weaknees or PTV Upgrade. The TiVo Community Forum is an excellent resource for this kind of thing.

Last edited:
My upgraded Tivo did the same thing after a few years of service. I called customer support and they say it's likely the hard drive. Your story supports the theory as well.

Tivo trouble

Who can fix these, I had planned on upgrading the Hard drive space anyways ,but if maybe it can fixed, I'll keep it. What do yous think the problem might be? Like I said I plug in the receiver and it goes right to the words, Welcome Powering up. and stays there. Hard drive problem?

Try Weaknees.com

Last edited:
Thanks , I've fixed my Tivo back in August. Changed the Hard drive ,and Power supply parts. And it cost me about $175 and took about 20 minutes to fix. But I went from 35 hour DVR to 140 hours. And it works perfect.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)