• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kurkus

Original poster
May 26, 2009
Lansing, Michigan
Am I the only one that likes the older TIVO units vs the newer DVR units?

I like the ease of use of the TIVO menus, the newer DVR units have menus that are harder to understand

Kids can whiz through the TIVO menus like crazy and are more than confused about the newer menus

anyone else feel the same way?

I hear Directv signed a new contract with TIVO and will be coming out with TIVO units,

Anyone heard when this might happen?

I too thought that going from a DirecTiVo (HR10) that it would be hard to get used to the HD DVRs.
But, that has changed as I'm perfectly happy with the HD DVRs and their operation.
It's just a matter of what you are used to.

I doubt that I'd want to move back to the TiVo version, especially since it most likely won't be able to use MRV with the current DVRs.

that is very debatable and here you'll have very few folks that agree with you on that. see post 2 for the link and what some folks thoughts were

Tivo is over rated junk in my opinion....seen it worked with it hated it

I think your TIVO experience must have been a rough one

Using Direct TV TIVO units for over 15 years, I have had nothing but good experience in watching and using the menus

Having said that, mine are starting to lock up every so often which I suspect means its time to replace either the hard drives or units themselves

But I wouldnt go to the new units if you paid me

I used to love the Tivo and hate the HR2x's when they first came out. But there have been so many software updates and improvements over the years. There is very little left that the TiVo can offer me that isn't better on the HR2xs. Just my opinion.

The only time I would ever see myself using a Tivo is if I ever go back to cable as usualy the cable Co's DVRs are more crappier than the Tivos.

I had a premier with Comcast before returning to Directv. Tivo is garbage now especially the HDUI. The SDUI is still capable but its looking very aged and it takes several steps to do anything.

Definetly overrated. Especially with all of the great features on the HR24 and Dish's VIP line. I guess I could see my self using only if I ever went back to cable which is probably never going to happen.

Am I the only one that likes the older TIVO units vs the newer DVR units?

I like the ease of use of the TIVO menus, the newer DVR units have menus that are harder to understand

Kids can whiz through the TIVO menus like crazy and are more than confused about the newer menus

anyone else feel the same way?

I hear Directv signed a new contract with TIVO and will be coming out with TIVO units,

Anyone heard when this might happen?

You're not the only one, there are several others.

Ive had a Dish 622, 722, 722k, a Directv HR10-250 (sucked and slow), HR20, HR21, HR22 and HR24. A TiVo Series 2, TiVoHDXL, and a TiVo Premier.

Id take the 722k and HR24 any day. Even the new TiVo Premier HD menus arent as nice, and the way you setup and prioritize timers is archaic compared to Dish's dvrs. That and the effect the HD menu will lock my player up every now and then.

Some folks really need to wake up and let this one go. BTW, HDDVD is dead also...

Don't get me wrong, I love my TiVo Premier XL for OTA recording, it's very reliable if I use SD menus. My problem is when I look at steps required for common things, like setting up a timer, the 722k kills it.

TiVOs are junk. They were superior at one time, but other DVRs have surpased them in performance, ease of use, user interface, graphics, and features. TiVos are the dinosaurs of the DVR world.

Of course each person has their own likes and reasons for them. If you like the TiVo, I will not try to convince you otherwise. As far as I am concerned, TiVos are crap

I converted from the Tivo Series 2 to R-15 dvrs about a year ago. There are a few things that the Tivo did that the R-15 doesn't do, however all in all I am very happy with the R-15 and don't miss my Tivos at all. With the new guide software for plus receivers coming out, I may give serious thought to upgrading my R-15s to R-22s for the added capabilities.

I converted from the Tivo Series 2 to R-15 dvrs about a year ago. There are a few things that the Tivo did that the R-15 doesn't do, however all in all I am very happy with the R-15 and don't miss my Tivos at all. With the new guide software for plus receivers coming out, I may give serious thought to upgrading my R-15s to R-22s for the added capabilities.

The R22's rock. I have 2 of them. They're like the HD DVR's but can be used on a SD only account (whereas the others can't)
I had a R15 and upgraded to the R22 right away. You wont regret it :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)