Tivo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chefwan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
South Carolina
When You Buy A Tivo Do You have to have service with anyone or pay any fee's ? like the dish network Dvr ? or is it free? to use

if you buy a new Tivo, there is a subscription fee of around 12 bucks or so a month

People have purchased older Tivo's on Ebay that have a lifetime subscription

If you are planning to use i with a satellite receiver, I recommend you buy a satellite receiver with built-in DVR such as the VIP622 or the HR20-700. There will be a DVR monthly fee of around $7 with these receivers.

it's the guide that matters

I think the definition of "will it work?" isn't so much about it recording...
... but if you'll have a useful guide .
I don't believe either Replay nor TiVo will have a useful guide.
That'd due to you recording things it won't know about.
Sure, you could set it to think it's located in NYC if you're recording a lot of such programs, but that would be limited success.

As for just having them record your show at 8:00pm, either should get the job done without subscribing to a guide service.

While a bit OT for the C-band department, Sadoun's suggestion of a Dish PVR or DirecTiVo is a much better integrated solution.
They just work.
Some will even shift recording times if a program moves.
With everything in one box, it powers up, changes channels, picks the right satellite, records, and shuts down ... and uses only one remote. :)

Another recording choice is to have a computer with a DVB card or USB DVB receiver.
They can power up, change channel (transponder), select a particular satellite (depending on your setup), and record your show.
While a very useful solution for Ku, I think this applies to C-band sufficiently to be considered.
There are come internet-based guides useful for this technique , but others will have to talk about those.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)