TiVo's Latest DVR Patent Settlements Worth $490 Million

Just amazing. I wonder if it's even possible to fix the patents system- and how would one define "fixed?" Maybe the Soviets got it right.

I was over at the Tivo Community forums and people over there are stunned that Tivo settled so low. I guess legal experts expected a $1 billion settlement.

I was over at the Tivo Community forums and people over there are stunned that Tivo settled so low. I guess legal experts expected a $1 billion settlement.

Well, it's a half-billion now or possible a billion 5-years from now. I think Tivo decided to cash out now instead of going on for years and years like with the Dish Network case. Besides, Tivo has made some inroads with Cable and we (my parents too) love the Xfinity On Demand app.

Once they won the first lawsuit (against Dish), the rest were going to be easy.

I thought that Time Warner and possibly Motorola had agreements with TiVo already though ?

Comcast and DirecTV have had an agreement for quite sometime, and perhaps some smaller Cable Cos. Verizon settled with Tivo last year for 250M and with AT&T for 215M give or take.

Once they won the first lawsuit (against Dish), the rest were going to be easy.

I thought that Time Warner and possibly Motorola had agreements with TiVo already though ?

What I meant were "private" agreements. The Comcast one is very different - TiVo designed the entire interface (and boxes ?) for them. Supposedly Time Warner or possibly Pioneer, who developed the Passport software used on TW boxes years ago, had licensing agreements either providing them the software or at least a "we won't sue you" license.

I've heard about the Comcast Tivo, but it's never been advertised in their product/pricing guide filed with the local franchise authority so I'm not sure that it is even available in my area. Regardless, Tivo placed an Xfinity On Deman app on the Tivo Premiere and my parents and I love it - works great! That was the only disadvantage of having the Tivo. FiOS is being installed in our neighborhood in VA, but I just renewed for 3rd straight year under a Comcast promotion ($119 for all their digital channels to include HBO, SHO, MAX, Starz, etc. and the Sports Package (BTN, NHL Net, MLB Net, NFL Redzone, etc - plus 30/15 Internet) and the FiOS promotion is more expensive, offers less, and I'll lose the Xfinition On Demand app. While Comcast may not install many Cable owned Tivos, I love how they're supporting customer owned devices.

What I meant were "private" agreements. The Comcast one is very different - TiVo designed the entire interface (and boxes ?) for them. Supposedly Time Warner or possibly Pioneer, who developed the Passport software used on TW boxes years ago, had licensing agreements either providing them the software or at least a "we won't sue you" license.

I like my TiVos and I am hopeful that they stay in business a long time. They are great for OTA. I rather pay once for lifetime than have a monthly bill.

Now that TiVo stock is down 20% after the settlement, let's just hope this time no one blames Charlie for not having TiVo investors' interest in mind. It is amazing till today there are still people buying into this TiVo patent's magic power. I thought during the TiVo v. Dish debate it was clear Dish had seriously devalued the TiVo patent. At least it appears all the lawyers understood that, just look at all the settlements post TiVo v. Dish. TiVo was lucky Charlie did not go all the way to the Supreme Court. Charlie did all the TiVo investors a big favor, allowed them to have their hopes high for another two or three years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts