IS HDR worth it?

I think 4K is indeed overrated for a 55" TV. It is barely an advantage with a 65 or 70". Of course if you sit really close ( 3-4 ft from the screen) you will begin to see the added detail but at typical viewing distance, the 4K advantage really shines at 100" wide and higher. Probably the most benefit of a new TV will be an OLED panel with a 55" set. 4k goes along for the bonus.

As for HDR- The advantage is very subtle. It shows up in a properly calibrated TV as added detail in the shadows without compromising true black. It also is seen as detail in the brightest regions without lost color (clipping).

This isn't necessarily true about needing to sit 3-4 feet. Many disagree with these so called experts wanting to under cut the significance of 4k. I heard the same argument between 1080i and 720p and its day and night difference for me especially watching sports. ESPN, FOX, ABC 720P sucks compared to NBC, CBS 1080i. Beware what you read a lot of stuff is slanted for reasons we don't all understand. Its like going to snopes they have a agenda so take what they say with a grain of salt. Its really hard finding true facts now days with everyone pushing their agenda.
I myself can see the difference between most 1080p and 4K HDR material sitting 7-8' away on 65" Sony.

Reactions: madmadworld
ESPN, FOX, ABC 720P sucks compared to NBC, CBS 1080i.
This often depends mightily on the local station/provider and as such, isn't a universal truth. Another issue is the TV's native resolution and the quality of its scaler and that varies widely. Some will swear that 1080 content looks better on their 720 TV than native and vice versa.
I myself can see the difference between most 1080p and 4K HDR material sitting 7-8' away on 65" Sony.
Most should be able to discern HDR at great distances. Without HDR and WCG it is considerably more difficult to pass an A-B test.

UHD for the sake of 3840x2160 isn't nearly the win that HDR and WCG bring and if they would apply them to 1920x1080, many, if not most would be just as happy.

My 2 cents, No. HDR is processed/enhanced color to Pop/Wow...NOT realistic color. I liken it to next gen Torch Mode.
HDR has nothing to do with color. Torch mode yes, but it is WCG that brings the color (however true or false it is). That said, sometimes "pop" comes from crushing dynamic range as opposed to extending it. DIRECTV uses this to distraction.

Using appropriate terminology (especially when tossing abbreviations) is important. This mistake would have been much less likely if not for the abbreviation of High Dynamic Range (versus Wide Color Gamut).

My 2 cents, No. HDR is processed/enhanced color to Pop/Wow...NOT realistic color. I liken it to next gen Torch Mode.

My thoughts exactly.
If you put 10 people in a room, 9 out of 10 couldn't tell if they are watching hdr or dynamic mode. The only tip
off would be the dimness of the whole picture of hdr mode.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

For me, HDR looks great on an OLED for dark room movie watching, and I think part of the reason is it can still maintain zero black with no blooming while having max brightness. And then stuff like Luke Cage and The Grand Tour looks awesome in HDR in a non blacked out room. The performance of HDR is directly affected by the display you own, just like 3D. Not all perform the same.

If your buying a new TV got the money go for it. even more so if your want to enjoy what your paying for with Net flicks etc
this 4140 mux just looks pretty sweet.
Can you see those channels on transponder 22? Are they in the clear? I used to have a working C/Ku band setup a long time ago. Now all I have is the stationary dish. I gave up on it after everything went digital, or about that time. I did have the 4dtv receiver and I used to use an Mpeg 2 receiver also.

Can you see those channels on transponder 22? Are they in the clear? I used to have a working C/Ku band setup a long time ago. Now all I have is the stationary dish. I gave up on it after everything went digital, or about that time. I did have the 4dtv receiver and I used to use an Mpeg 2 receiver also.
That's a big YES

1080p HD and 4K SDR > LED lit LCD displays actually have an inferior LED light spectrum ,color volume and color palette to OLED and WCG HDR TV .

Today 2015 -2017 Wide Color Gamut 10 bit panel 4K *genuine HDR LED/LCD TV’s like my 55" 2015 4K HDR Sony XBR in here and OLED 4K HDR are the cure .

Conventional LED panels vis a vis blue lamp yellow phosphor LED lamps don't make saturated red or green and push blue like a big dog and the color isn't really accurate they can't make coca cola red ,stop sign red ,good cyan ,Red or Green and so on and the blue and color banding and color gradations could be better .

IOW with a few exceptions like spendy Sony XBR 1080p and 4K SDR Triluminos TV’s and Samsung Q dot's pre dating HDR wide color gamut most LED /LCD owners including yours truly got totally LED/LCD hosed color wise before wide color gamut 4K HDR.

Blue LED/LCD TV without Wide color gamut QDOT,QLED or Triluminos can't touch the 64x color potential of a WCG HDR TV even below HDR or my HDTV 1080p Samsung 64f8500 Plasma any decent plasma or an HDR OLED which implies at least 10 bit color like HDR LCD anyway .

The Plasma and OLED TV owners and WCG HDR LCD TV owners know what I mean.

Wide color gamut 4K HDR makes 64X the color of 4K SDR /HDTV and a lot of that of that below HDR from 480i on up of you set it up to bt2020 or DCI and so on .

The long and short of all this is this 2015 4K HDR Triluminos Sony X850C was the first of 4 LCD TV in here since 2010 that didn't give me the jones for a better TV in a month or less or the 2013 Samsung Plasma out front noting a similar Samsung 4K HDR LED/LCD TV probably would have been just fine also .

I been buying Sony XBR mostly since 1993 including a 2004 Sony LCoS SXRD Grand Wega I got rid of before the light engine blew up ?

HDR is low minimum black video levels ,high contrast and high sustained brightness and elevated peak small window bright and significantly more elevated pinpoint bright highlight ranges it can be stunning so can 4K SDR at high bit rates they have 4X the albeit smaller RGB chroma pixels in a given size and you can't find decent and bright 1080p LCD TV anymore anyway,

The Samsung 6290/6300 4K SDR ain't bad IMO ,Samung always gives up more color saturation and they get plenty OK bright unlike the 4K SDR competition so they don't look bad as LCD goes if you can hang with the 60Hz panel motion and 3:2 pulldown/telecine at 24p and so on .

10 -12 bit DCI and BT 2020 color and 4K (2160p)
pixels are all other things but HDR TV and HDR content implies all three .

The Sony Triluminos 4K WCG HDR TV can tone /color map BT 709 to something near a very competent DCI .. Samsung can also maye not Vizio they only have one maybe half azzed Wide color HDR TV Vizio P model I read has broken CMS anyway the rest neuter HDR to SDR and are just the usual Blue LED rubbish .
A good wide color gamut HDR TV fixes that 4K SDR /HDTV LED lamp color volume issue at HDR and below that on everything

All that HDR TV wide color tone /color remaining from bt709 works well as long as you mind your color saturation but it's set and forget most of the time here unless it's uncommonly real poor content or poor 16mm telecine color and you may want to raise it now and then . .
OTOH they are even significantly better inside BT709 boundaries

Some enthusiasts and calibration pros may or may not like that Sony recommended BT2020 or DCI setting tone/color mapping below HDR but that would be no surprise we all like things differently and then there are the TV set to set and lighting variations .
we can see ~14 bit color and 20,000 NITS so HDR TV ain't there yet anyway.

I use a 65K ambient back light kit behind the TV at dusk nite and dawn , or dark overcast

The old CCFL panels had a much better white light spectrum for the LCD cell color pixels and color volume so they fall somewhere in between and SDR LED and HDR *wide color gamut LED panel .

I buy Sony XBR 4K HDR in here now. I'm SRSLY thinking maybe Sony Z1C OLED next in here if the spendy price shakes down some or a 2018 LG or Sony OLED with the new 2018 OLED panels or the 2019 LGD RGBW OLED panels with new TADF emitters that should run off of about half the power consumption as a current OLED TV .

AFAIK The LGD 2019 OLED TADF emitters will work better with higher resolutions ,they have a smaller sub-pixel area.which RGBW OLED can probably use anyway to claw back some effective RGB pixel resolution with the better TADF emitter color saturation also . They can be used with vacuum evaporation panels or inkjet panels. they will produce more color pop, more vibrant colors, with more color accuracy.better RGB primaries and colors and better blues, The OLED current blue emitters are the weak link like Blue LED .

If Sony doesn't cost scale CLEDIS and Samsung doesn't come out with Pixel by Pixel full QLED better than OLED The 2019 LGD OLED TADF emitter panels may be the new "IT" HDR hires color TV at Sony and LG TV :)

2017 Sony X930E /X940E and Z1C OLED will have the 2016 Sony Z9D megawatt FALD LCD 14 bit color dual database object oriented Sony X1 Extreme processing that should make superlative tone mapping and color gradation and low noise on HDTV , 4K HDR and 4K SDR ,BD and 480i and so on. and an X930E may be here if it shakes out that way .

OTOH I'm interested in the 2019 LGD OLED panel with TADF emitters without an incremental upgrade so we will see and I can afford it.it could be a Sony or LG but I lean to Sony as a rule and pay the usual Sony tax .

TV sets here are the tier one brands ,Sony ,Samsung and LG . I don't buy Vizio and so on although some folks like them .

Lastly a *decent tier one brand (wide color gamut) 4K HDR TV ( LCD or OLED) is worth it for the color volume alone IMO ,again folks that own plasma and OLED probably know what what I'm saying .

Some of the Hisense HDR are maybe looking up they are coming for us :)

Last edited:

Depends on the HDR production they are all over the board from greyish dull to oversaturated neon and the sweet spot can be stunning ,it's still shaking out while the *decent 2016 -2017 HDR TV product is falling in HDR 1000 spec. line more.where most TV HDR content is presumably at a 1000 NIT peak master instead of bt 709 TV 100 NIT .

I have a lot of stunning HDR eye candy on my media drives without being torch mode HDR and some that is torch mode stunning .

OTOH wide color gamut is the 800 lb gorilla all by itself even decently remapped/tone mapped up from bt709 to something nearly at DCI like on an HDR Sony ,Samsung and LG OLED but all that implies *decent 4K HDR TV sets anyway . .

A (decent) genuine wide color gamut 4K HDR TV like the Sony in here or a decent Samsung or LG HDR OLED is the new color TV since we lost plasma anyway even below HDR content if you know how to use it noting I also have a superlative Samsung 1080p 64f8500 Plasma ,it's not an HDR OLED or HDR LCD but it's entirely watchable in 2017 and beyond that vis a vis it's plasma color . :clapping

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts