To 4k or not?

hbk409

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 12, 2005
LI,NY
So my 50" Sony lcos TV is finally going after about 10 years. Starting to get a yellow tint to the picture. So I was looking at the following 4k tvs and didn't know if I should go with one of these or stay with 1080p and get a bigger screen. Normal viewing distance is 12-15ft.

I was looking at this in target and we would get 10% off this price http://m.target.com/p/samsung-55-class-2160p-4k-120hz-smart-uhd-tv-black-55hu6840/-/A-17220013

This one in bjs had a little better specs I believe. http://www.bjs.com/samsung-55-smart...-5000-content-gift-card.product.285422?dimId=

This sony at best buy but it's not on their website xbr55x850c.

These are all 55 inch 4k tvs. Didn't know if I should go with one of these or a 70 inch 1080p.

Went to another bjs and they had this for $999. I know the distance is far but right now we have a 50" so I thought anything bigger would be an improvement. The cabinet is 58" wide so it looks like most 65" would fit, barely.

With today's thin bezels, things fit much nicer. When looking at the Samsungs, I would go with the JS series over the HU. The JS series support HDR. The HU series is the previous year's model and do not. The 65XBR850C is 1999 right now. Might go lower as it is being replaced by the D series. The 65XBR850C also has Direct Backlighting with Local Dimming (a must with LED) whereas the 55" is edge lit. It is 57.2" wide.

S~

2k is a little more then I was looking to spend. I dont know why this didnt post in the last post but the model I found in another BJs was the LG 65UF6450 It doesn't look like it has the HDR. I was trying to keep it under 1200, can go up to around 1,500.

I have the 6450. Some will disagree, but my opinion is it has a very good picture for the money and with today's sources. Dish thru 722 looks really good on it. 4k from Amazon and Netflix look great with the built in apps. OTA with Tivo looks good. Best $899 I spent at Christmas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Sooo, my wife was pissed I didn't come home with the new tv, so she sent me back out. I was going to get the LG 6450 but then I saw that the bjs I was at had the samsung 65JS850D hooked up and it looked amazing. They had one left so I jumped on it. It was 1799 and they told me I had 90 to try it out and return it for any reason if I was not satisfied with it.

Reactions: teachsac
So far so good. I had to move my router closer to the tv as when I was trying to watch 4k videos on youtube it would keep buffering. No longer have that issue. Also I have noticed if I have there is a light source on in front of the tv and there is a black screen there is like a purpleish streak going from one side to the other. One quick question, it came with one set of 3d glasses and they have blue and red tabs on them. I didnt know if I could pull those are or if they are needed for the 3d. I tried it with them on and the 3d looked amazing. I was watching preview on the 3D GO app.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)