To Component or not to component?

fistfullofbeer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Hi.

I have a Directv TiVO DVR which is currently using Composite cables to my LCD TV. I have been unable to get HDTV because of LOS issue so I will be using SD channels and this receiver till other alternatives open up.

I was wondering if there normally tends to be any improvement in SDTV channels if I use Component over Composite cables.

Thank you.

Hi.

I have a Directv TiVO DVR which is currently using Composite cables to my LCD TV. I have been unable to get HDTV because of LOS issue so I will be using SD channels and this receiver till other alternatives open up.

I was wondering if there normally tends to be any improvement in SDTV channels if I use Component over Composite cables.

Thank you.

In general, yes. You should see better color quality and it may look sharper to you.

If your LCD TV has HDMI input (and your TiVO supports that) I'd go there instead.

Also... this will open up a can of worms... but if you go to Circuit City or Best Buy and try to buy cables from there, you'll probably pay 3x what you should. Shop around, or check the Internet stores. Do not ever buy anything with the Monster brand, they are hugely overpriced.

Last edited: